Can anyone recommend a "natural" nail polish? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rebecca

#1 of 10 Old 09-26-2005, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at my LHFS the other day & saw they had a new product: natural, non-toxic nail polish remover..yay!!

It made me wonder about non-toxic nail polish & what was out there! I haven't painted my nails in years & now with going "all-natural" I am concerned with the toxic fumes from mainstream nail polish...I "thought" I saw some at WF's last time I was there, was I dreaming?
#2 of 10 Old 09-26-2005, 12:19 AM

henna is all natural, just not many colours out there .that probably doesnt help sorry

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#3 of 10 Old 09-26-2005, 12:20 AM

: I was wondering about this as well.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 10 Old 09-26-2005, 12:42 AM

I have a couple bookmarked:
http://www.bewellstaywell.com/nail_care.htm

I think www.edensong.com has some as well but her body care section isn't working right now
#5 of 10 Old 09-26-2005, 08:34 AM

www.honeybeegardens.com

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#6 of 10 Old 09-26-2005, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I checked out honeybee gardens, I just might use them to order some polishes in the future! Thanks for that great link Amy! I also saw
the nail polish remover on that site that my LHFS carries!
#7 of 10 Old 10-01-2005, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have some Honeybee Gardens stuff. I love their old nail polish - the peel off kind. Sure it doesn't stay very well but I don't want to wear them for days anyway. Their new stuff (remove with alcohol) is crazy. Maybe it's just me but they are tough and stays on and on without much chipping. Mine usually last two weeks. The problem is nothing gets that stuff off. I ordered their special non-toxic polish remover and it's hardly any better than rubbing alcohol. I usually resort to soaking in warm water for ages then scrape them off bit by bit. If any of you gals have some tricks please tell me. I like those nail polishes but fear the removal. Oh and their non-toxic nail polish remover does remove regular polish very well. I do like that.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#8 of 10 Old 10-02-2005, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You don't have to actually paint your nails to have them look fantastic. You can get a little nail buffer that makes them shine like you have a top coat on them. I believe the buffer has 3-4 sides that you use in sequence. A gritty one progressing to an almost rubbery side that brings out a beautiful shine and all with no chemicals. You can massage in some oil (I like sweet almond oil for hands, but anything will do) for more shine. the buffer lasts forever too. I got one at a regular store in the nail polish section years ago.
pumabearclan likes this.
#9 of 10 Old 06-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
You don't have to actually paint your nails to have them look fantastic. You can get a little nail buffer that makes them shine like you have a top coat on them. I believe the buffer has 3-4 sides that you use in sequence. A gritty one progressing to an almost rubbery side that brings out a beautiful shine and all with no chemicals. You can massage in some oil (I like sweet almond oil for hands, but anything will do) for more shine. the buffer lasts forever too. I got one at a regular store in the nail polish section years ago.

No, I totally disagree!. Three or four sided buffing blocks should not be used on nails. They are too abrasive, take too many layers before achieving surface shine. They in no way improve and then maintain the crucial oil/moisture balance within the structure of the nail. The pressure needed to achieve this type of shine is just too much and your nails don't like it. For expert advice go to nailbuffs.com. You may also send four digital photos of your nails, one of each hand and one of each thumb nail to donna@nailbuffs.com for evaluation and solutions. NAILBUFFS has been "best nail service" at Canyon Ranch Wellness Spa for over thirteen years. There is a reason! I should not have to say more. Donna E. Taras developer of The NAILBUFFS System since 1978. NAILBUFFS is the real deal and puts nail care where it belongs, into your own hands.
#10 of 10 Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I think that any polish is toxic, hard to maintain, and stains the nails. It's basically paint or varnish and there is a limit to how natural or safe such a product can be. Unpainted natural nails are the most elegant, IMO. Kept clean, moisturized, and buffed (with whatever buffer you like, ahem) they bring out a woman's natural beauty. I manicure & buff once or twice a week and put a deep conditioning cream on my hands and feet every night and it keeps my nails looking good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page