Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneotamama
Also, I've heard of people "seasoning" their cast iron pans. How do you do that? I see cast iron at garage sales, but have always been too intimidated to actually purchase one! Are they a lot trickier to cook with?

http://www.lodgemfg.com/usecare1.asp

Be careful buying used cast iron. Look for scratches. If you are not a meat eater, you would want to give it a real thorough scrub before using it, in case of meat residue. Otherwise, it is pretty darn hard to ruin cast iron and garage sales are a great place to get them.
#33 of 40 Old 08-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Banned

salt water seems to defrost it faster than fresh water. i can look up the reasons why, but it literally saves hours.
#34 of 40 Old 08-11-2006, 12:53 AM

What a special thread! I moved from CA to TX, and what an eye-opener. I still commute between the 2 states week on/off, so I'm basically living a double life. I only have one more trip, and then I'm going to start re-living the CA thinking about becoming greener on the homefront. Hubby is a native Texan, and never had an organic thing in his life before meeting me. He complains about the $$$ on organic food, even, but at least honors my wanting it for me, even though he and the kids eat whatever won't outrun them. My kids have forgotten our old way of living. I REFUSE to use anything but stainless, and he's asked if he could keep just one teflon pan in the house, and threw the rest away. He knows he can't use it if I'm home though. I've got him sold on organic pastas and rice for the time, but getting anyone to recycle around here is a battle. I shop Whole Foods for as much as I can, but other stuff ends up in my cabinets when I'm in CA working. Anyway, I'm totally digging this thread! I'm fascinated by it. I have bought menstrual cups for my daughter and myself, so at least that is a consistant thing to start.
#35 of 40 Old 08-11-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca
How is that good for the environment? :
If you are using what you have and using recycled, chemical free parchment paper, it is a great idea for people interested in living more consciously and consuming as little as possible. I had a roll of the recycled parchment paper that lasted me 3 years. I did finally buy a non aluminum baking sheet, but it was pricey, so I had to wait.

~reduce, reuse, recycle~

so many roads to ease my soul...

#36 of 40 Old 08-12-2006, 12:42 AM

I'm new to these boards and enjoying them.

I have a question about why so many are switching to glass jars instead of plastic for kitchen storage. Is that simply an environmental effort to use less plastic, or is the storage in glass healthier?

Thanks.

~frugal

I don't have any icons, yet..........getting started!
#37 of 40 Old 08-12-2006, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmom
I am now teaching myself to sew and am buying organic fabric to make clothes for the kids. they are really cute!
Where do you find organic fabric? I've seen organic clothes online (& actually our Sam's Club just started carrying a few pieces of organic clothing) but never the fabric, that would be awesome! (once I learn to sew of course )

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalascanbe
I have a question about why so many are switching to glass jars instead of plastic for kitchen storage. Is that simply an environmental effort to use less plastic, or is the storage in glass healthier?
There's concern about plastic leaching chemicals into our foods. Searching the archives will find you tons of information on it. I'm slowly working on not heating things in plastic & reducing my plastic use in the kitchen, but I still use some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneotamama
Also, I've heard of people "seasoning" their cast iron pans. How do you do that? I see cast iron at garage sales, but have always been too intimidated to actually purchase one! Are they a lot trickier to cook with?
I recently switched to cast iron frying pans (found some at Ollies, drug out the one that I had stored away w/ our camping stuff, etc) & I was concerned about the "stick" factor (I have a couple stainless steel frying pans & HATE them, stuff sticks SO bad). But I haven't had a problem at ALL! My only complaint is they're so heavy I can't hold them w/ one hand to dump stuff from the pan into a serving bowl but we often just "serve" off the stove anyway & I figured out tonight that I could rest the handle on the counter & hold onto the other side & it worked ok.
#38 of 40 Old 08-12-2006, 01:12 AM

My ten:

1) Compost! (I'm suprised this hasn't been mentioned more in this thread)
2) We recently installed a reverse osmosis system for our drinking water & we installed it so that the "waste" water drains into a trash can in our basement so I can use the water for watering & such (it does have an overflow into our sump pump for rainy weeks when I don't water LOL)
3) Use cloth instead of paper towels, tissues, toilet paper (for pee)
4) Clean w/ baking soda & vinegar, buy environmentally friendly dishwasher detergent (since I haven't found a home made version that I like)
5) Make things from scratch
6) We'll be moving in a year or two & the plan is to either buy a house that needs rehab'ing or build. I'm starting to research how to build/rehab more "green" (though dh's feelings on the matter will limit me somewhat)
7) I get the low energy, last forever lightbulbs & as our regular light bulbs burn out I replace them w/ those
8) I bring cloth bags for my groceries, etc.
9) Buy our milk from a local, hormone free dairy that uses re-usable glass bottles
10) I'm slowly converting our kitchen to use less plastics, teflon, etc.
#39 of 40 Old 08-12-2006, 01:20 PM

My top 10:

Use stainless steel, glass or enameled cast iron for cooking
Pitch the microwave
Use cloth in place of paper products where possible
Use baking soda, vinegar, salt, honey and other natural products to clean
Borrow or buy used
Avoid plastic whenever possible, buy items in glass bottles or buy bulk and bring your own jars
Use public transportation or carpool if you cannot walk or cycle
Keep a decluttered home, pitch the noise pollution too
Use natural products for your animal companions too
When you do buy, buy something that will last; frugal and cheap are not the same thing
#40 of 40 Old 08-12-2006, 05:23 PM

i second the inquiry about organic fabric...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page