Air-drying clothes in humid weather - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2005, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is a question for folks in more humid climates: How do you dry your clothes indoors (without using the machine)? It's been raining for 6 days now here in NJ. I handwashed a baby blanket with wool wash, opened my wooden drying rack, spread out a towel, then spread the blanket on top.

Roughly 24 hours later, the blanket was nearly dry, towel still wet, and nice wooden drying rack was moldy!! ACK!! I've never had this happen before

Any alternatives to a standard wooden drying rack?

TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2005, 12:32 AM

Try clothespinning it to a hanger, then hanging the hanger up. If you get really desperate on the mold front you could put a fan on it for awhile too, defeats the point a bit of air drying to save on electric but at least it wouldn't be as much electric as an actual dryer.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
Old 10-14-2005, 11:13 AM

When I am forced to dry items indoors, I have to turn the heat or air conditioner up because here in TN, it is always humid. And it would still take a week to air dry a wool blanket inside my house! Keep moving it. I wouldn't leave it setting on a towel or anything like that, and would turn it over and move it around fairly regularly to avoid shaping it to the rack it is on. I don't use a wooden drying rack, though. I have a clothesline in the laundry area of our garage, things start out there, then get moved to the bathroom, either the shower curtain rod or the towel rack that hangs over the bathtub.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Good idea about the fan -- our bedroom always tends to be warm, so we often keep a ceiling fan on low in there. I can move the slow-drying stuff to the bedroom. DH will just love that

I think I will have to invest in some type of nylon cord contraption to hang items in our bathtub. We don't have towel racks -- just hooks, so I'll have to figure something out in the meantime.

Thanks so much for your ideas! So simple, yet I didn't think of them on my own!!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:00 PM

FL is mold heaven here! My wood drying rack got moldy too so I painted the horizontal dowels with latex exterior paint, easier to clean off and the wood doesn't mold.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrunner
FL is mold heaven here! My wood drying rack got moldy too so I painted the horizontal dowels with latex exterior paint, easier to clean off and the wood doesn't mold.
Do you have any problems with the paint chipping or peeling?

TIA!
Old 10-15-2005, 06:02 AM

I use a dehumidifier. My dehumidifier has an extra fast function especially for drying clothes. Not sure if ones in the US are like this. Where I live in Japan its extremely hot and humid in the summer and rainy in the winter. Most people here don't own driers and hang their wet clothes to dry on outside lines all year long (or on their windows curtain rods!) Ever since I discovered the dehumidifier my clothes (even jeans) dry within half a day. It also works wonders with preventing mold and mildew on our mattresses. Wish I knew about them when I lived in Seattle!
Old 10-15-2005, 06:39 AM

A fan is a great solution.

I also have been know to use a blow dryer if I need something to dry quicker, like underwear.

User Tag List