Diva cup insertion problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2005, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cannot get this in right! It just won't "pop" open. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have the larger size (I'm over 30).

I would just quit and go back to my COMFORTABLE cloth pads, but I'm going somewhere for a few days where I won't be able to wash and hang my cloth - and I won't have enough to just wait.

Any tips? I manage to insert it, but it just doesn't open and so feels really uncomfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 01:09 AM

The first time I used mine I did not get it in correctly.. I could not get a grip on it to pull it out and asked DH to help me...

20 minutes later.... after my DH pushing it futher in (to my cerv) he finally got the damn thing out.. it was soooooooooooooooooooooo : but hey, what do ya do..

I have only had a chance to use it one other month, I have no idea how to get it to "pop". When I used it the second month I got it right a couple times, but most times it leaked.. so Im interested here too!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are you wetting it a bit with water first?

What I do if I use mine is to now we trip merrily into TMI run a finger up insied and alongside the cup and all around. Pressure where it's folded so that the folded in part unfolds seems to help. Twisting it a bit can help too.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 10-24-2005, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

I did wet it. I tried to turn it like suggested, but it didn't turn easily. (Sigh)
I think once I figure it out it will be very easy - it's just getting to that point!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:59 AM

TMI = Too Much Info! I kind of wiggle it back and forth a bit to get it to unfold if it doesn't do it on it's own. Also, sometimes I tip it (put it in at an angle) while inserting so that it can partially unfold on the way in. I've been using mine for a long time now, it gets easy!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:59 PM

The only way I can get mine to pop open is to insert it and NOT turn it....instead I stand up and do a couple of highsteps (almost pull your knees alternately to your chest). When it pops, it'll be an "unusual" feeling, but you'll know it! Then you shouldn't feel it at all.

The first month was the worst, the second got better, and by the third month I was like an old pro with it.

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:11 AM

I agree, keep trying, it gets better! My first few days with the diva was really uncomfortable, and I leaked a lot. Now (in month three) it's no big deal. I use a cloth pantiliner and sometimes leak a drop or two, but nothing major. I could probably skip the pantiliner if I wore black undies, but I like to know if I'm leaking or not. I wiggle it a bit along with twisting it. It doesn't always rotate easily, so if I wiggle it it seems to settle into place better. I don't wet it...I may try that

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
Old 10-25-2005, 04:06 AM

Old 10-25-2005, 11:48 AM

Partymoo...that was very eloquent! :

Suck out her plumbing... :

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:44 PM

I have trouble turning mine sometimes too, especially after wetting it, it gets all slippery. Try pinching it a few times and trying to turn it. That usually makes mine pop. OH, and you're most likely not going to hear a pop noise, just try to feel around the cup and you'll be able to tell if it's popped open.

A trick for getting it out: Try to put your finger in as high as possible and reach the top lip of the cup. Push it in a bit and it sort of breaks the suction. Then you can pull it out. It gets kind of messy this way, but it's better than having it stuck in there. And lots of deep breaths. When all else fails, get the pliers.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 11-04-2005, 04:58 AM

Quote:
The suction can be a little intimidating, but if Miss Kitty can handle a good pounding on date night and a baby 9 months later, she's not so delicate that the Diva's going to suck out her plumbing. Keep that in mind if you start freaking out.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:45 PM

so what's wrong when i'm fairly certain it has opened but still leaks pretty bad... : i really want to use this thing, but can't seem to get around the leaks...i have had it for two months. the first month was my first PP period and was quite heavy so i just put it away and used pads. this last month i tried it a couple days and got frustrated with the leaks and put it away again.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:12 AM

I leaked terribly with the Diva and the Keeper (and found them both uncomfortable, as well). Much to my surprise, however, I am finding that the Mooncup (which is slightly smaller than the others) is perfect for me. I still have some leaking on day 1 of my period, but none at all after that, and I can't even feel it when it's in. So you might want to try a different cup if after more trial and error you can't make the diva work for you.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:38 PM

for leaking...try pulling it a bit lower. In the beginning with mine, i leaked but it stopped after I readjusted at someone heres suggestion. also I find that I get a better seal if I tilt it towards my cervix (in my case towards the front of my body when I am sitting down). sometimes also, if you have too much air in the cup it will cause leaks. after you put it in, pinch the bottom of the cup while you bear down.
there truely is a learning curve. it seems to be about three months for many people.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
Old 12-08-2013, 03:18 AM

Hey all....

YAY!.. what a relief  to find others who have experienced and expressed similar issues to mine..

(DISCLAIMER: WHEN VENTING I DO NOT TEND TO USE CAPS, PUNCTUATION  or PROPER GRAMMAR  properly when venting... ) that being said, here i go. :2whistle

Ooookkkk..So I decided to order the  DIVA Cup on-line.. (much too expensive @ Whole Foods) especially for my first experience... eitherwho... I'm super excited because it came highly recommended, especially for women like me, who have an extremely heavy flow.  My previous experiences with the SoftCups proved to be less than 'neat' so I was in search of something new...My references spoke of the 'pop' and NO LEAKS... hmmm I am like day two into this experience and i cant say i'm a happi camper... I feel like i'm bleeding more for just sticking this thing up there and irritating my cervix. Which by the way is cramping more than ever!...I just cant seem to get this right!.. I fold it.. insert it, it opens, i turn it... but it's like i havent done a thing!... forget a pantyliner..i'm still wearing  my super-sized elephant flow pad WITH the cup...  !... 

Ok.. another issue, how low is this cup supposed to hang out of my kitty?.. I cant seem to push it in very far without some level of discomfort or pain.. but i do push it as far as it will go. yes its open as well..I noticed when i arrived at work that sitting in my office chair i could feel it sticking out and it was quite uncomfortable.. I thought that maybe i had inserted it and positioned it properly and that it was full and needed to be emptied.. WRONG... all of my flow was in my pad..... there were a few drops inside the cup.. but not much...yes.. my flow is extremely heavy the first few days... Ive even had to ask my employer for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act).. because my cycle is so out of control I cant be productive or comfortable at my job... Tonite I felt more confident because i had the Diva Cup.. umm NEGATIVE... :blah

Ive read that it takes a few months to get used to.. but does anyone have any tips on how to ensure that im placing the cup in the right place?.. I know we're all built differently but somethings gotta give!... I'm suffering this extreme cramping in vain!...duh.gif

Thanks for all of your other post.. they made me feel less dysfunctional.....:joy 

Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 PM

I threw mine away. I tried multiple cycles, sometimes it'd pop open, other times it wouldn't. Just when I thought I was breaking it in it'd change up on me. Would always leak and my periods were spent w/ constant anxiety if I'd leak through pants or something. I have a tilted uterus so I have no idea if that affected it or not.... but I tried everything and it just didn't work for me. I was really upset too :(

Kailey 8.1.06 Midwife - Hospital

Nola 3.20.09  Midwife - Homebirth

EDD 7.12.14 New Midwives -  Outdoor Homebirth w/ a Team Green baby!

33 weeks

Old 12-16-2013, 12:02 PM

I must admit.. it was quite uncomfortable... and i forgot to mention that if felt like it was blocking or pressing against my urethra.. It was difficult for me to urinate when i had it in... yes..  i do realize i did something wrong..lol.. I may give this thing one more try next month... (keeping my soft cup close at hand)..

Old 01-17-2014, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Oneblkwmn, it sounds like you have it much too low and maybe are unfolding too soon.  Might also be too small a size, if it is unfolded but your flow is going past it.

Fold it in half vertically, then fold it again.  Now it's folded in fourths and you are holding it with your first two fingers and thumb.  Insert.  Push it as far up as you can WHILE FOLDED; once it is mostly inside, you can move your fingers lower on the cup.  The entire thing should be inside you, except maybe part of the stem if you did not trim it.  Now hold the base of the cup between your thumb and index finger and rotate it.  Now do a few high marching steps.  Now rotate your hips like hula hooping.  Now slide a finger alongside the cup and make sure it is open and round.  Now clean yourself below the cup with toilet paper, or a damp rag if you can--that will help you tell the difference between genuine leaks and flow that was below the cup when it went in.

That's what works for me.  I did have more leaks with the Keeper in my 20s pre-motherhood than I have had since getting a Diva postpartum, so I agree with what someone said above about different cups fitting better for different bodies.

I must have a pretty heavy flow because for me, wearing it 12 hours straight is preposterous until the 4th day.  It's easiest just to empty it every time I'm using the bathroom anyway (every 2-3 hours) to avoid overflow.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 02-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Trim the stem off or at least down to one notch for comfort. and for putting it in angle it back then put your finger up along side it up by the rim then press up you should feel it pop. to take it out rock it back and forth while pinching the bottom above the stem and pulling gently downward and it comes out easier.

User Tag List