Mothering Forum banner

Natural Shampoo and Oily Hair ??

611 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hopeland 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have always used an expensive Salon shampoo and I did like the way my hair felt from it but...

trying to go a bit more natural, I got a couple natural brands (Lush, Arbonne, Burt's Bee's) to try. At first I liked them all but now (a cople weeks??) my hair is GREASY!! I can not stand it to feel like this. I know that my natural oils are just not being stripped, but this looks and feels gross imo.

Did I pick not-so-great brands for shampoo??

Will the oils eventually balance out?? (if so I can handle the grease for a bit
)

Do I just have to get used to having oily hair
??

What are your experiences and suggestions??

THANKS!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not familiar with those brands, but I also have very oily hair and have been working towards natural shampoos. Here's what's working for me: a natural shampoo bar to wash; if the hair seems especially greasy, combine it with a palmful or so of baking soda as part of the lathering up process. Every other day or so, do a rinse with a tablespoon of lemon juice in a couple of cups of water after this wash.

I also find that I do not have to use the natural shampoo bars as often as I used the commercial shampoos. I used to shampoo twice a day and now I shampoo once a day or once every 36 hours. I'm only a month into this but I understand the longer you do it the more your scalp adjusts and the less you have to use the shampoo bar. I'm waiting for that happy day.

Another thing I discovered is that at certain parts of my cycle my hair is greasier than others, and the baking soda really helps during those times. I'm finding this is a process of discovering my hair and scalp in a new way and I'm finding that it's taking some time to get the formula right but it's worth it.

What keeps me from going back is the unhappy news that the degreasing formulas in commercial shampoos were originally developed to degrease the floors of automechanic shops. How's that for incentive to ditch the Suave?

Good luck! You might have some luck doing a search on this forum for oily hair. There are a few threads out there on natural shampoo/no 'poo for oily hair and they are very helpful. Welcome to natural shampoo! Hopefully soon your hair won't look like this:
You can do it!

#3 ·
Hi,
My hair is greasy too I wash it every morning...if I wash it at night it looks limp by morning. I wish I could get to where at least I could wash it the night before having to ge tup and get ready for my day. Also while my hair is greasy it is more my scalp my hair is actually dried out from coloring(which I am trying to get away from and blowdryers(also trying to avoid. Soooo do you use any kind of natural conditioners with your regimen? Where do you get your shampoo bar?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.