tea tree oil & toddlers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-10-2005, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd (22months) has recurrent (extremely) dry scalp. big thick flakes. rubbing oil and using a comb has helped in the past, but she hates it--and i have to shampoo again to get the oil off. overall awful. poor girl is scratching at her scalp as the weather means drier air.

i occasionally use a tea tree oil shampoo to manage dandruff. i'm wondering if this might work for her. might it be too strong? any ideas?

i try to remember to give her some flax oil, to lubricate from the inside out.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#2 of 6 Old 11-10-2005, 11:14 PM

no idea but interested in vet. mamas opinions.
I tried tto on ds's excema - one leg in hempcream the other in tto.

tto is red, bleeding, nasty...the other fine and healed.
no idea but I like the stuff but want to make sure I am not using it incorrectly.

my dd and I have similar issues, tried every shampoo etc. finally gave up use as little shampoo as possible shampoo once a day with little shampoo and no conditioner, and follow the nightly 100 strokes. I figured best to get the dry skin off exfoliation style and not to irritate scalp further. (dd's were so bad she's set off lice checks in winter!)

maybe if you want to use oil get the oil treatment stuff thats more water soluable or what about disolving some lanolin but IME the more stuff you put on the more you will dry out the scalp, I'd say put the oil in her diet, keep her hydrated, and get a nice boar's bristle brush, brush before washing hair in moring, brush before going to bed and to get the flakes off/out try blowdrying on cool.

8 might be enough
#3 of 6 Old 11-12-2005, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh
the more stuff you put on the more you will dry out the scalp.
i needed this reminder. even tho i think i am not a sucker for quick fix, buy this product type of things...it's hard to resist the idea of finding a magic solution. she does like to brush her hair so i will get her a brush like her dad's. try more of that.

that said, i still think i might have to find hempcream for dd's arms and legs. old habits die hard.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#4 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 02:00 PM

Did you ever find something that helped the dry scalp? My 5 year old son got a burn on his scalp this summer (he ran into my mom when she was draining hot spaghetti water and some of the water splashed on him.) This happened in late June and in October his scalp was STILL red and irritated and itchy and flaky. The pediatrician said it was still healing, but the rest of his skin (he also had a burn on his shoulder and arm) had healed by August. I began to suspect the baby shampoo we used was irritating the burned area, so I switched to JASON Natural Jojoba Scalp Balancing Shampoo and within a week or two the redness and flakes and itching were gone. The pharmacist I talked to said people with scalp conditions often use baby shampoo thinking it's the gentlest thing out there, but it's not. Sometimes my son will use another shampoo (even though I told him not to) in the shower and I can tell an immediate difference. The burned area gets red and itchy and flaky again. My husband has a dry scalp that gets flaky in winter and he's now using the JASON Jojoba shampoo too with good results. So I recommend that if you haven't found something that works.
#5 of 6 Old 02-04-2006, 02:32 AM

California Baby makes a great shampoo called Tea Tree and Lavendar. It works well for dandruff and problem scalp and also for getting rid of lice. I used it on my daughter for her cradle cap when she was an infant and it cleared right up. She is still using it and there has been no adverse effects. Hope this helps

Tanya
#6 of 6 Old 02-07-2006, 04:16 AM

Ds had really bad cradle cap (and he's a toddler!) for a long time. Finally I mixed some olive oil and tea tree oil together and put it on his scalp and let it sit for a day. I did that for a few days and we haven't had a problem since.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page