Mothering Forum banner

My Teeth Just Don't Feel Clean!

49K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  mountainsun 
#1 ·
Colgate Total was one of my last chemical holdouts. I gave it up nearly 3 weeks ago.

Since then I have been using Weleda Calendula toothpaste. My teeth just feel dirtier and dirtier. Surfaces that used to be smooth have a yucky film on them. My teeth don't feel smooth. The problem is more on the inside of my teeth than the outside. It isn't the lack of mint; I can handle that.

I use a Sonicare Elite toothbrush. I brush for 2 1/2 minutes; 30 seconds top outside, 30 seconds top inside, 30 seconds bottom inside, 30 seconds bottom outside, and 30 seconds to touch up anyplace that feels like it needs extra attention, plus my tongue. I don't think the problem is my toothbrush; I never had a problem with the Colgate.

Yesterday and this morning I tried Burt's Lavender Mint. Not much improvement, even when I spend even more time on the teeth that feel yucky. Tonight I got desperate and tried Dr. Bronner's peppermint. Yuck! Didn't feel any better and the taste is horrific.

I eat a good diet; vegan, organic, whole foods, more veggies and beans than grains. I eat very little sugar, just a little raw honey in my tea each morning.

I've searched the archives. No one mentions their teeth feeling gross and dirty.

Help. I don't want flouride, sweeteners, SLS, or chemicals.

Kimberly

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Kimberley, I was just thinking this very thing and running my tongue over teeth when I came upon your title on the main page.

I've been using Kiss My Face successfully for a year or two now, with a RotaDent electric toothbrush but just within the last two-three weeks, my teeth have constantly felt dirty.

I'm vegan too but obviously it's not the diet as it just came on suddenly and I don't have other teeth issues.

I'm going to try giving an extra brushing with hydrogen peroxide to kill any bacteria and try to brush at lunch as well and see what happens.

#3 ·
I use EcoDent tooth powder. Why? Because after using it for six months as a new mom (my one grooming luxury was to brush my teeth really well) the dental hygenist I'd been going to for several years asked me, "What have you been brushing your teeth with lately?" I told him, and he actually wrote it down. He said my teeth were amazingly clean.

#5 ·
I'm seconding the Toms of Maine, I know it has SLS which some people try to avoid, but I have horrible teeth, and have used chemical stuff all my life, my teeth actually feel cleaner on the toms-I even think some of the coffee yuk is cleaning off. I really like the pepermint

#6 ·
Another vote for Tom's... it's the only thing that still makes my teeth *feel* clean -- and that's SUCH a huge thing!!

#8 ·
You know, you really don't NEED toothpaste. A clean toothbrush works just fine, and maybe even a little better. Try brushing with nothing but a wet or dry brush, follow your full routine, then put a dab of your toothpaste of choice and run it around your teeth for a quick "polish." I have to have something on there because, well, tartar just doesn't taste all that great.
You can rinse afterward, too, which would probably accomplish the same thing. If you have a good, safe rinse.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shanagirl
I use EcoDent tooth powder. Why? Because after using it for six months as a new mom (my one grooming luxury was to brush my teeth really well) the dental hygenist I'd been going to for several years asked me, "What have you been brushing your teeth with lately?" I told him, and he actually wrote it down. He said my teeth were amazingly clean.
I recently found out about EcoDent products. Unfortunately, they use sodium lauryl sulfate in their tooth powder, which is a product I have chosen to avoid. I did buy the EcoDent vegan floss and the mouth rinse last night.

Kimberly

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PikkuMyy
I've been using Kiss My Face successfully for a year or two now, with a RotaDent electric toothbrush but just within the last two-three weeks, my teeth have constantly felt dirty.

I'm going to try giving an extra brushing with hydrogen peroxide to kill any bacteria and try to brush at lunch as well and see what happens.
These are the ingredients in KMF:

Glycerin (Vegetable Source), Sorbitol (Plant Origin), Hydrated Silica (Mineral Origin), Certified Organic Aloe Vera, Aqua, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate (Protein Derivative), Peppermint Oil, Horse Chestnut, Hydroxyethylcellulose (Plant Origin), Menthol (Natural Origin), Ubiquinone (Co-enzyme Q10), Tea Tree Oil, Xylitol (Plant Origin), Chlorophyllin Copper Complex (Natural Coloring)

Anyone know that the Sodium Laroyl Sacosinate is? How about Hydroxyethylcellulose? I know not all chemicals are bad, but since sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate is also often listed as "plant origin" I am skeptical.

I'll try the peroxide. Maybe swish it around before brushing.

Thanks,

Kimberly

#12 ·
Okay, I'll try brushing without anything and then followed with a dab of toothpaste, and I will also try baking soda. Has anyone ever had trouble with baking soda and their gums? I remember using it a couple of years ago and my gums would sting really badly.

I'm going out of town for the week so I will just have to make do, I guess.

I really don't want using something with SLS (like Tom's) to be the answer.

Thanks for all of your helpful replies.

Kimberly

#14 ·
"Has anyone ever had trouble with baking soda and their gums? I remember using it a couple of years ago and my gums would sting really badly."

YES! and i feel so alone since everyone here seems to be getting along with it just fine. i had stinging, bleeding and my gums felt very raw - and that was after one day only. i switched back to my organic toothpaste and the bleeding stopped. i've never had a problem with my gums bleeding before (until baking soda came into contact with them). i use riddel's creek organic toothpaste. my teeth have never been cleaner and it's 100% organic. it even gets rid of that yellow plaque that collects at the bottom of my teeth.

#15 ·
What is the deal with SLS? Why do you want to avoid it? What are the issues that you (and others) have with the other ingredients in conventional toothpaste? I've heard about some questions that people have about flouride. But, not other ingredients. I'm wondering about whether it is a vegan thing or if there are other issues that people are concerned with.

I've tried Toms of Maine and didn't like it as much as conventional toothpastes. Since I've always had a lot of trouble getting cavities I've been afraid to switch to something without flouride or that doesn't leave my teeth feeling really clean. Though I have switched to many natural products I'm not sure about switching toothpastes since even with the TOM's I didn't feel like my teeth were clean enough.

Anyhow, good luck with your search. I hope that you find something that you like.

Good luck with your search.

#16 ·
It took me forever to find a natural toothpaste that didn't either 1) taste terrible 2) damage my teeth (some of them erode enamel) 3) give me sensitive teeth and make my tongue hurt.
I don't like the Tom's because I think it feels chalky and almost all Tom's have fluoride. I use Jason organic paste. 'SeaFresh' is the one I use-- it sounds frightening, but it tastes and cleans exactly like regular mint toothpaste. I love spearmint. They have a mintier peppermint version called 'Powersmile' , but it's like brushing your teeth with an altoid. It also comes in an orange flavor called 'Nutrismile' that DH likes. They come in regular which are unfluoridated and gel (the gels are fluoridated yikes!).

#18 ·
I too use Jason organic toothpaste, has no Xyitiol or SLS! Either Smile Power (which is mint) but I prefer Sea Fresh
I found any toothpaste w/ SLS gave me canker sores! I'll write more about SLS when I get a chance for ya all! I've researched alot on those nastys!

I've tired burt's lavender-don't like it....
weleda makes my mouth feel weird, I love everything else they make!
I've tired Auromere-ayurvedic toothpaste, love it but it has SLS!
Natures gate has SLS!

#20 ·
It's the toothbrush
: .

We went on vacation and I used a regular toothbrush with the Weleda paste and my teeth are clean. I guess I'll switch out the brush head even though it has only been 2 months. If that doesn't do it then it may be that the rechargable battery is dying, even though we've only had it 11 months.

Kimberly

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gardeninginthefog
It took me forever to find a natural toothpaste that didn't either 1) taste terrible 2) damage my teeth (some of them erode enamel) 3) give me sensitive teeth and make my tongue hurt.
I don't like the Tom's because I think it feels chalky and almost all Tom's have fluoride. I use Jason organic paste. 'SeaFresh' is the one I use-- it sounds frightening, but it tastes and cleans exactly like regular mint toothpaste. I love spearmint. They have a mintier peppermint version called 'Powersmile' , but it's like brushing your teeth with an altoid. It also comes in an orange flavor called 'Nutrismile' that DH likes. They come in regular which are unfluoridated and gel (the gels are fluoridated yikes!).
I second the Jason's products! And I've tried many.
I liked the Tom's of Maine, but it has SLS. I don't even remember the others I've tried. I use the Powersmile, but will try the seafresh as suggested above, 'cuz the mint is TOO strong for me, and I sometimes use it on the kids.

Barb

#23 ·
We use Jason's Naturals toothpaste - flouride free, the seafresh. It is the only toothpaste that I have found that does not have SLS (I think SLS contributes to my dh getting canker sores). I think it's great and my teeth always feel very clean

HTH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.