Mothering Forum banner

I just gotta ask (shampoo question)

780 views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  BabyOsMommy 
#1 ·
What is ap about not using shampoo??????

I know it's one more product to use but aside from that why is it better not to use it.

I know there is a theory about not using shampoo on curly hair but what about the rest of us.

Just an anecdote but my son has curly hair and he uses lots of shampoo and his hair is to die for. It's perfect.

#2 ·
I'm a no poo-er and have been for over a year, but I would occasionally use poo sometimes, and I found it just messed up my hair's balance that took a long time to achieve. So I haven't used shampoo since February.

I was just hoping to have nicer, healthier hair. I don't know if I do, but I can go for longer without washing it and it doesn't get oily very quickly. It took a couple months for it to get to that point though.

I remember reading a long time ago in the Straight Dope column that shampooing strips the natural wax and makes hair more brittle, and I remember even then being interested in the idea of not shampooing. However, since I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar, I'm probably accomplishing the same stripping.

I originally stopped using shampoo because I read a news story about how the Cocamide DEA can interfere with the synthesis of some amino acid involved in memory--I can't find the story now. So I figured I'd stop using stuff with Cocamide DEA and see if it made a difference. HOnestly, I can't really tell with my memory, but I'm happy with my hair so I keep doing it. It's just easier not to use it.

But yeah, it has nothing to do with parenting.

#3 ·
I gave up shampoo a few months just to see what all the hype was about and I love it.

I do it for a few different reasons. For one, I feel like I've "out-smarted" the hair care industry. Shampoos full of harsh oil-stripping chemicals are sold to "clean" our hair. Because they're so chemically harsh, conditioners are available to us to replenish some of the oil, shine and manageability of our hair.

One unnecessary product to strip your hair of the oils that are supposed to be there... And a 2nd product to make your hair look as though you never used the 1st product? Didn't make sense to me once I thought about it that way.

If there's a way to clean your hair without that repeated process of "strip it, coat it, strip it, coat it..." why not?

My hair is softer, stronger, shinier and less tangly than it's ever been. Ever.

ETA - I just reread your OP, and you're right, it's got nothing to do with Attachment Parenting. But it does have a lot to do with Natural Family Living. Fewer chemicals, fewer plastic bottles, etc.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamilla626
ETA - I just reread your OP, and you're right, it's got nothing to do with Attachment Parenting. But it does have a lot to do with Natural Family Living. Fewer chemicals, fewer plastic bottles, etc.
:

This site isn't ALL AP...Its "THE Natural Family Living Community"!

#14 ·
There are some very mild, non-detergent shampoos and soaps available, but a lot of people use baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

I make a slurry (looks like Elmer's glue) with bs and water in a little cup and massage it into my hair/scalp. I rinse it out, then apply a 20% solution of acv - it's in an old shampoo bottle, so I dribble it on like shaking a "shaker top" salad dressing bottle - then I rinse that out.

I do this every other day.

Check out some of the no-poo threads. Everyone does it a little differently.

#16 ·
i totally wish i could go back to no-poo - it left my hair as curly and unfrizzy as anything, and it always looked awesome. unfortunately, now my hair's colour treated (i love the colour though) and the bs makes it fade WAY too fast. the colour's my big splurge every 6 weeks or so .. no way i can afford to switch back to no-poo and have it touched up every other week

#18 ·
I wonder if a shampoo bar would've worked better for you Irish? I did the no-poo thing for a while and it actually worked for me, but it was more work and I slipped off the wagon. I've been thinking about climbing back up.

And as the OP suggested it has nothing to do with AP and everything to do with NFL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.