anyone know how to get pee out of a bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2005, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...so my daughter's diaper leaked last night and her whole room smells like pee.....beccchh. So I scubbed with a cloth w/ soap...but ewww the smell is still there. I tried Febreeze and disenfectant spray...but I still feel bad about her sleeping on it. I almost wanna get her a new bed...yuck does anyone have any ideas or special tricks? I know, I'm nit picky..

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2005, 11:01 PM

Saturate the pee spot on the mattress with some Bio-Kleen Bac Out and just wait for it to dry. We've used it on our couch several times with no problems when DS has peed on it.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:01 PM

I presume this is on the mattress? Do you keep a mattress pad on the bed? They help a lot with keeping stuff from saturating the mattress. My best suggestion is to cover it in baking soda for a few hours and vacuum it up.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
Old 12-04-2005, 11:04 PM

I used to cover it with cornstarch mixed with baking soda - it would absorb it and get rid of the smell. Then I'd vaccuum it up.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:20 PM

i use totally toddler, which i buy at the grocery, leaves it smelling fresh and clean... no pee stink.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
Old 12-05-2005, 01:41 AM

Pet stores have this awesome stuff called Nature's Miracle. It's some kind of natural enzyme liquid that gets out doggie pee smell so well that even the dog can't smell it. The liquid has no scent to it at all either (I hate scents!). Anyway, it works awesome on dog pee and I'm sure it would work on baby/tot pee as well. If it's a lot of pee you could saturate it with this and then shopvac it out or just blot it. I swear by the stuff tho! Good Luck!!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:56 AM

we've used an oxyclean knock-off with success a few times.

The problem I had with the natures miracle stuff is how much of it you have to use to saturate a mattress....
I didn't end up using enough, so then I had a really wet, alcoholy&toddler pee smelling bed...

I've been known to oxyclean the spot as best as I could and flipping it over (it is on a metal bed frame that is open on the bottom)
Next mattress rotation, I couldn't smell a thing
that was when we had all the windows open and had actual airflow in the house--I'm not sure how that would work in the winter

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
Old 12-05-2005, 01:58 AM

This just happened the other night and I used Tea Tree Oil. Not a whole lot just a few drops. I also figured that in case I hadn't got all the dampness out it would stop any possible fungus/mold growth.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabi Sabi
Saturate the pee spot on the mattress with some Bio-Kleen Bac Out and just wait for it to dry. We've used it on our couch several times with no problems when DS has peed on it.
Yup, this stuff works great (uses the same principle as "Nature's Miracle", which a PP mentioned). "Bac-Out" stands for BACTERIA OUT and it does this by using enzymes (and these enzymes literally break down the bacteria).

Not only do I use Bac-Out on my CDs, but I use it on the occasional cat stain and it works great (and cat urine is THE WORST when it comes to foul smell).

HTH!
Laura
Old 12-05-2005, 03:46 AM

odo-ban and get a cover for the mattress.

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:01 PM

I've heard a lot of good about nature's miracle for pet stains. I'd think it would work well for human stains.

I wanted to post a link to a good place I ordered an absorbent pad from:

http://www.bedwettingstore.com/bedwetting-overlay.htm

They carry them also at amazon.com so I'd check there because I think I found my cheaper on amazon.

I didn't care for the plastic matress covers as they seemed to make noise whenever we moved.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Um, hold the mattress over the potty?

I've heard that vinegar is good for getting rid of pee odors. I don't know from personal experience because we've always had either a plastic (yuck!!) or wool mattress cover since my oldest was born. My current "mattress cover" is simply an old wool blanket that lays between the cotton mattress pad and the fitted sheet.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 12-05-2005, 07:37 PM

Put the mattress out in the sun for a day. Easier to do in the Summer, but it works!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:55 AM

There is a great product called Urine Kleen.

http://tinyurl.com/dvm4f
Old 12-06-2005, 12:47 PM

I've been known to use a small carpet cleaner - the kind for spots - to suck up all that I could. Then treat with Nature's Miracle and let it dry.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

User Tag List