Family Cloth...what nobody ever told you - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 452 Old 02-12-2006, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLang
Do you think its ok to put the cloth TP in with the cloth dipes even without using vinegar with it? I can only use A&H detergent and hot water, nothing else, my dd is very sensitive to even vinegar in the wash. I'm just worried about contaminating the dipes.
I woul just wash them the same as you wash your dipes, I mean, they're essentially the same thing, right (same use, etc). Heck, I wash my pads with diapers, or rather I did before I was pregnant.
#62 of 452 Old 02-12-2006, 02:21 AM

WOW! I never thought of this! What an awesome idea!

DH is getting back into town tomorrow, I wonder if I have time to make the switch before he gets back!! Oh ! The look on his face! (heh-heh)
#63 of 452 Old 02-13-2006, 09:06 AM

OMG. Okay, so there's another thread around here showing pics of the Family Cloth setup. I showed em to DH (we hadn't talked about this before), really because the pics were so cool, everything was so nice and clean looking, and he was into it!! He was like, "Wow, that's really Earth First." He thought it was a neat idea.
We're thinking about starting when we have the baby (due in July) since we're planning on CDing and I'll be using my moma pads again, so everything will kinda go hand in hand. He was concerned about the smell, though, so I'll have to search around to see what people say about that (or if anyone wants to post on that again.... ). I'm SO psyched!
I wanted to do this a while back but I did a search for "reusable toilet paper" or something like that and I got this totally creepy website by this neo-nazi guy!!! Uggh! His idea was (if I remember correctly) to have some sort of "roll" (of cloth) and wash and iron it every week.. Weird. He kinda turned me off to the whole thing. So I'm glad I found you guys!!!
#64 of 452 Old 02-13-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinestarr
OMG. Okay, so there's another thread around here showing pics of the Family Cloth setup. I showed em to DH (we hadn't talked about this before), really because the pics were so cool, everything was so nice and clean looking, and he was into it!! He was like, "Wow, that's really Earth First." He thought it was a neat idea.
So where can I find the thread with the pics? I'd love to show DH that it's not a crazy idea

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#65 of 452 Old 02-13-2006, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the link with the pics, so everyone can check it out. I'd love to see more pics added too!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=409944
As far as smell, we have not had a problem at all. In the bean pot I throw a little piece of cloth in with a couple drops of EO's. It's funny because the bean pot smells so good, I take the lid off as soon as I go into the bathroom to enjoy the smell, while I'm going I dump the bean pot out every few days into an open laundry basket up in our laundry room. I empy the wetbag every few days also, & usually do nothing in the wet bag for smell. Once in a while I sprinkle a little BS in there, but since I havn't noticed a smell when I skip it, I have stopped using the BS The only time I have ever detected a smell was in the laundry room. My solution was to throw a dirty towel over the laundry basket, & it worked like a charm! I wash 1X/week. Hope that helps!
#66 of 452 Old 02-13-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh
As far as smell, we have not had a problem at all. In the bean pot I throw a little piece of cloth in with a couple drops of EO's. It's funny because the bean pot smells so good, I take the lid off as soon as I go into the bathroom to enjoy the smell, while I'm going I dump the bean pot out every few days into an open laundry basket up in our laundry room. I empy the wetbag every few days also, & usually do nothing in the wet bag for smell. Once in a while I sprinkle a little BS in there, but since I havn't noticed a smell when I skip it, I have stopped using the BS The only time I have ever detected a smell was in the laundry room. My solution was to throw a dirty towel over the laundry basket, & it worked like a charm! I wash 1X/week. Hope that helps!
Okay I've got a couple of ?'s..
What's the bean pot for? (Or, what's a "bean pot?" Just smell? Or is that where the used ones go? (If so what's the red bag for?) Are there smells emanating from the red bag? Wetbag?
sorry for all the ?'s.
#67 of 452 Old 02-13-2006, 11:58 AM

I checked out the pics thread. I love the bean pot - it's so pretty! I'd be concerned that curious guests would peek into it, wondering what it was. Our set-up is not nearly so nice looking. I have a basket on back of toilet with wipes, and a small open bucket on the floor. I empty the bucket every day or two into the diaper pail (which is in the back bathroom).

We only use the wipes for pee right now, but there has been no smell.
#68 of 452 Old 02-13-2006, 02:16 PM

This is the best thread! We're planning to build a retreat cabin (off-grid) in a year or so at a retreat center and go into three year retreat in 2010. Everyone there is trying to figure out how to do this stuff. One of the women got the county to let us test a simple, homemade (so it doesn't cost $1000) humanure composting toilet for 2 years. If they come back and like it, all the cabins can use it.

Well, I've been using cloth menstrual pads/ sponges for probably 30 years and I think I have some memory of cloth tp, but this has really inspired me! I'm trying to wean us all off using the grid we're on; trying to change our habits before we get there.

Oh, and as for the cold water washing, the hot water has to be hot enough to kill the germs and most of us with children don't keep our hot water hot enough because of potential scalding. The water has to be 160 degrees to even start to kill enough germs. I only keep my water heater at 110. But the good news is that it's the soap that kills germs, especially lye soap. Not laundry liquid which is not really soap, but real soap or Fels-Naptha or something. (I grate bars of Ivory Soap because it's exactly the same as the old discontinued Ivory Snow or Flakes.) Also drying in a hot dryer (bad for your bills) or in the sun (good for everyone) kills the germs.

Anyway kudos to everyone - amazing thread! We're getting on board with this!
#69 of 452 Old 02-13-2006, 02:42 PM

Call me Question Grrl..
How many wipes needed for the whole family? (We're going to be a family of three) What do you guys think?
TIA!
#70 of 452 Old 02-13-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Okay I've got a couple of ?'s..
What's the bean pot for? (Or, what's a "bean pot?" Just smell? Or is that where the used ones go? (If so what's the red bag for?) Are there smells emanating from the red bag? Wetbag?
sorry for all the ?'s.
The pictures show 2 different bathrooms So the red wetbag is in my upstairs bathroom. The bean pot is what holds the used wipes in the downstairs bathroom. I think you have to scroll down to see all of the pics. I should go back & explain it on the pictures. Make more sense?
#71 of 452 Old 02-13-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh
The pictures show 2 different bathrooms So the red wetbag is in my upstairs bathroom. The bean pot is what holds the used wipes in the downstairs bathroom. I think you have to scroll down to see all of the pics. I should go back & explain it on the pictures. Make more sense?
Okay, I'm good, lol. I didn't figure out the two separate bathrooms thing. Thanks!!
#72 of 452 Old 02-13-2006, 04:57 PM

wow, this has been an interesting/inspiring thread...last night i was smiling and laughing to myself since i decided to do this and not tell dh. he asked me what i was smiling about and i told him. i said it would be just for pees, and you knowwhat he said???? "can i do it too?" i asked him if he was serious and he totally was!!! this, from a fairly traditional guy...i would have never thought he'd do this in a million years!!! cutting up receiving blankets now...
#73 of 452 Old 02-15-2006, 05:33 AM

#74 of 452 Old 02-15-2006, 05:21 PM

hmm we're almost out of tp. Maybe I'll just forget to have him pick up some more. When he's stuck on the toilet asking me for tp (he never bothers to check before he goes) I can just say "well we don't have any, here's a rag you can use"
#75 of 452 Old 02-15-2006, 08:47 PM

We've been using cloth for about three days now and love it. I'm one of the gals who posted a picture on the other thread. It's just a start, but so far it's working out great. We used to go through, easily, 2 rolls A DAY. We don't even come close to that with our cloth TP. We washed it regular with a little baking soda on a hot cycle with our regular towels last night and everything was squeaky clean. *yay* I'm loving this idea. DH is loving it too because he has a sensitive heiny

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#76 of 452 Old 02-17-2006, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow...this is a whole new world of bottom wiping. What a wonderful idea and I cant wait to try this in my home! Thanks for everyones ideas. I also cannot wait for my DH reaction...
#77 of 452 Old 02-19-2006, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChicopea
We've been using cloth for about three days now and love it. I'm one of the gals who posted a picture on the other thread. It's just a start, but so far it's working out great. We used to go through, easily, 2 rolls A DAY. We don't even come close to that with our cloth TP. We washed it regular with a little baking soda on a hot cycle with our regular towels last night and everything was squeaky clean. *yay* I'm loving this idea. DH is loving it too because he has a sensitive heiny
It's really sad.. I probably go through a roll a day on my own.. I use so much TP it's sick. I'm a real weirdo. This will be much better for me, and I can't wait to start!!!
#78 of 452 Old 02-19-2006, 07:09 AM

The bean pot is lovely!! And a good idea! I use mommy cloth (actually just terry CD liners- they work great!!) and am always concerned about what to do with the used ones; am afraid I'll forget and leave one soaking in the sink and DH will find it : I also dabble in family cloth- but one of my biggest deterrants has been "What do I do with it now?" lol! A beautiful bean pot like that one solves all my problems and then I can move on to cloth tp for myself at least
#79 of 452 Old 02-21-2006, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I like it too! Pretty & practical all in one!
#80 of 452 Old 02-22-2006, 07:24 PM

My dh was a little skeptical, but he's on board !! He said he's even working on his wipe folding strategies Our toilets haven't seen TP since Friday!! It feels so good compared to paper! We have a mini-shower and always do #2 there. We were doing some creative maneuvering trying to stand up, pants down & get it sprayed off & dropped in the bucket> BUT I cut up some more t-shirt squares so we can lay them on top of the bucket lid to rest the used wipe while we finish up our business & can spray them off, now fully clothed. Throw t-shirt square & wipe in bucket~ voila!!
#81 of 452 Old 02-23-2006, 05:48 AM

Question for you all-- do you sew the edges of your cloth to avoid freying? Do you need to, or only with certain fabrics ... ?

I've been inspired to go cloth by posts here in the past, but I still haven't made the step towards doing so. I tried to, but I thought I needed to sew up the edges, and I couldn't navigate the big ol' clunker of a sewing machine that I'm borrowing. I don't know too much about such things, so I thought I had to-- but if it's just an old T-shirt... do I not need to do that?

If not, I'm totally shredding up old clothes tomorrow night.

I'm all excited again. You guys rock!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#82 of 452 Old 02-23-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker
Question for you all-- do you sew the edges of your cloth to avoid freying? Do you need to, or only with certain fabrics ... ?

I've been inspired to go cloth by posts here in the past, but I still haven't made the step towards doing so. I tried to, but I thought I needed to sew up the edges, and I couldn't navigate the big ol' clunker of a sewing machine that I'm borrowing. I don't know too much about such things, so I thought I had to-- but if it's just an old T-shirt... do I not need to do that?

If not, I'm totally shredding up old clothes tomorrow night.

I'm all excited again. You guys rock!
I didn't bother sewing the edges...I'd never have gotten started if I needed to do that (although I had planned on it at one point). The edges ravel a little bit, but not too much. I think it will take a long time before they ravel enough to not be useable any more.

Just be sure to cut your wipes big enough. There's another thread where the mama cut them too small and they weren't absorbing enough. I find that cotton t-shirts are not as abosrbant as flannel items.
#83 of 452 Old 02-23-2006, 10:08 AM

TMI I know. What do you do with the cloth if there is alot of BM on it? I also want to switch to cloth wipes for baby and toddler. When there is alot do you swish? Does any one have a measured wet solution? I am need specifics

Me (45)  belly.gif  , DH (43)     yikes2.gif,   DS (8)  geek.gif autismribbon.gif,   DS (5) bikenew.gif,  and  November 20111sttri.gif

#84 of 452 Old 02-23-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliensiss
TMI I know. What do you do with the cloth if there is alot of BM on it? I also want to switch to cloth wipes for baby and toddler. When there is alot do you swish? Does any one have a measured wet solution? I am need specifics
I would just handle poopy wipes the same way you handle poopy dipes (assuming you use cloth).

To the previous poster, I have a few cloth wipes now that I made a couple nights ago out of an extrememly well-worn Gap t-shirt, I just cut them into 6 inch (roughly) squares, no sewing required. I'll be raiding our clothes as we're packing to move this week for other absorbant, but well-worn clothes I can cut up.

DH saw the cloths on the back of the tank the other day and asked if I had switched to cloth tp and shockingly seemed really cool with it. It old him yes, but so far just for pee, I don't have enough wipes made to use for bm yet and I'd like to get a wipes warmer before venturing that direction.
#85 of 452 Old 02-23-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliensiss
When one of us has a BM we spray a little distilled water with a few drops of TTO on our thicker cloth wipes. We wipe and then put in the bin. When it comes time to wash we wash as we would anything else and add a little baking soda for good measure. HTH.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#86 of 452 Old 03-03-2006, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't mean to grossify things, but what do you moms do during AF week!?
If you use cloth for these occassions do you put them in a special solution so that they don't stain or smell too terribly?

Sorry if this has already been adressed...
#87 of 452 Old 03-03-2006, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Weel I use a diva, so I still wipe with cloth, while it is in. I have some dark wipes, so staining, isn't a prob. If I wipe with the diva out, than I rinse the wipe out when I'm done with it.
#88 of 452 Old 03-03-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
It's really sad.. I probably go through a roll a day on my own.. I use so much TP it's sick. I'm a real weirdo. This will be much better for me, and I can't wait to start!!!

Just kidding. LOL I am bad with quantity of TP too..i try to be careful but sometimes i just don't pay attention.
#89 of 452 Old 03-03-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMinHawaii
Just kidding. LOL I am bad with quantity of TP too..i try to be careful but sometimes i just don't pay attention.

OMG SAHMinHawaaii that's the most adorable picture I think I've ever seen!!! (In your sig)
#90 of 452 Old 03-03-2006, 10:08 PM

Thank you. I hadn't looked at the pic in a while. My dh is actually away for school right now, so that pic is bittersweet. My dh said its hard to sleep without us there with him. I told him to put three pillows next to him to make him feel squished. lol

Tags
Lunapads , Natural Menstrual Products

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page