Family Cloth...what nobody ever told you - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2006, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to try this for me, just for pee, and we'll see how it goes. The diaper bucket is in the bathroom anyway so I can just toss the cloths in without any fuss. I have a basket on the back of the toilet that holds toilet paper right now, so I can easily switch it out.

DH will not go for it, I can say with certainty! But just me and the pee should make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just finished cutting up T-shirts for TP. DH was like, I'm not gonna use that. What if our friends find out? I'm not going to tell them. We'll have crap paper TP for them.

At the same time, DS (13 months) proceded to bat at the TP roll and unroll about half of it onto the bathroom floor. I said, "Yet one more reason to use cloth TP." DH said, well, yeah, maybe.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 10-16-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedoyle View Post

Do others keep the TP out for visitors?
I keep the TP on the roll, we just don't use it - it's easier than trying to remember to put it out for visitors, which we have at least 1x week. I keep the cloth out, too, so we still have it to use. I just make sure to empty the bucket of "used" wipes before anyone comes over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannon99 View Post
What if our friends find out?
I've had one person ( a good friend and fellow MDC mama) ask me what they were for after we'd been using them for some time. She didn't bat an eye (I think she asked b/c her 5yo wanted to know). No one else has asked me, which I'm kind of relieved about. My MIL babysits my DDs every week. I keep expecting her to ask, but she hasn't yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannon99 View Post
At the same time, DS (13 months) proceded to bat at the TP roll and unroll about half of it onto the bathroom floor. I said, "Yet one more reason to use cloth TP." DH said, well, yeah, maybe.
: that was a big factor in switching. Now that we don't use the TP, my 2yo ignores it most of the time. Another reason I decided to switch was that my 5yo would use a HUGE wad of TP every time she peed. Now, my 5yo is starting to ask if she can go back to using TP. She "likes it better" . I'm not sure what to make of her request and can't decide about "letting her". I've told her I'll think about it. To her credit, she won't seem to use it unless I tell her it's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deece in MN View Post
I have a question about washing them. Do you use any type of fabric softener or does that inhibit the absorbency of the wipe? Also, do you dry them in the dryer or hang them to dry?
I have not been using fabric softener for this very reason. i don't know if it would affect the absorbency, but since cloth dipes caution against fabric softener I assume that it would. So I don't, just in case. I use it on towels & washcloths though, so I don't know

By the way Welcome to MDC, all you new folks!
Old 10-17-2006, 05:57 PM

I totally forgot to post here that I've convinced 13 year old daughter to get on the wagon w/ me here, and SHE is the one who got excited and cut up a bunch of her shirts that I don't approve of, and we reused old Olay face wipe boxes to store them, and we each have a dry box and a wet box. In the wet box, we put bottled water w/ a dash of distilled vinegar, a couple of drops of lavender and TTO's, and shook everything up really well and put our wipes in to soak up the goods and drained the excess water out. I'm having my cycle, so I'm using some t.p. as well, but otherwise, the daughter and I are all cloth! Son (12 years old) would NOT entertain the idea. Hubby is playing "dumb" and not asking questions. But, 1/2 the household is on cloth, at least, and it's the 1/2 that used the most t.p. to begin with!
Now, I'm cloth, no-poo, Diva menstrual cup, home made laundry soap and/or BS/Vinegar/EO's. Slowly but surely..........................moving into greener natural home.
Oh, and I only use Simple Green (not the green one because I'm allergic to it) and BS and Vinegar to clean with now!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcitizqueen View Post
I totally forgot to post here that I've convinced 13 year old daughter to get on the wagon w/ me here, and SHE is the one who got excited and cut up a bunch of her shirts that I don't approve of, and we reused old Olay face wipe boxes to store them, and we each have a dry box and a wet box. In the wet box, we put bottled water w/ a dash of distilled vinegar, a couple of drops of lavender and TTO's, and shook everything up really well and put our wipes in to soak up the goods and drained the excess water out. I'm having my cycle, so I'm using some t.p. as well, but otherwise, the daughter and I are all cloth! Son (12 years old) would NOT entertain the idea. Hubby is playing "dumb" and not asking questions. But, 1/2 the household is on cloth, at least, and it's the 1/2 that used the most t.p. to begin with!
Now, I'm cloth, no-poo, Diva menstrual cup, home made laundry soap and/or BS/Vinegar/EO's. Slowly but surely..........................moving into greener natural home.
Oh, and I only use Simple Green (not the green one because I'm allergic to it) and BS and Vinegar to clean with now!
...Men...
Old 10-17-2006, 06:15 PM

DD and I decided to take an old rubbermaid-type container that is smaller and deeper than a cake pan. It has a lid. We put some water in it, w/ some of my homemade laundry soap, some vinegar, and leave it in the wash room. When we potty, we just go plop our wipes in the bucket in the laundry room when we're done, and they sit is the solution until WHITES day (which I wash on sanitize), and I throw them in w/ all the whites. I just dump the bucket w/ water and all in first, then add my whites, and begin my laundry routine. They get thrown in the dryer w/ everything too, and we sort the wipes (and separate because she shares a bathroom upstairs w/ her brother--who shudders at the thought of what we're doing), and I share w/ hubby (who pretends nothing new is going on and doesn't ask). The 2 of us girls were no doubt the heavier t.p. users, so we're happy to be the largest contributors of the cut back on waste and money. It feels SO much better too, and no more t.p. balls on the hoo-hah!!!! Victory is in the house!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:17 PM

I don't use fabric softener for any of our clothes, but I definately wouldn't want to use it on cloth TP! You don't really notice till you stop using it, but stuff washed w/ fabric softener (liquid or dryer sheets) definately has something ON it, there's no way I'd want to be wiping those chemicals onto such sensitive skin!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcitizqueen View Post
It feels SO much better too, and no more t.p. balls on the hoo-hah!!!!
That is so true!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:22 PM

Well, i've finally gone and set everything up.

Saw some pics that were posted on this forum but my set up is far from that nice! Makes me want to make it prettier!

DH is due home any minute...MWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!! :
Old 11-14-2006, 04:53 AM

I like this idea and have thought about it for years.

What size do you cut the cloths?
Do you wash them with regular laundry or alone?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deece in MN View Post
I have a question about washing them. Do you use any type of fabric softener or does that inhibit the absorbency of the wipe? Also, do you dry them in the dryer or hang them to dry?
I haven't made the plunge into cloth tp yet, but I do use cloth pads. I know that every cloth pad I've bought had a warning to not use any form of fabric softener b/c it will decrease the absorbency of the material - so I would treat cloth tp the same way.

ETA: I see that several ppl here have mentioned seeing pics of family cloth on other threads. I did a search but couldn't find anything. Could someone give me a link to a thread here that has pics of family cloth? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyWild View Post
I like this idea and have thought about it for years.

What size do you cut the cloths?
Do you wash them with regular laundry or alone?

Thanks!
I would make them 7.5 x 7.5, mostly because they fit perfectly in a wipe warmer or an old wipe container.

I wash my wipes with my diapers, but if you don't have dipes I would wash them seperately or with towels. Whatever load you do with hot because of the poo.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh View Post
Here is the link with the pics, so everyone can check it out. I'd love to see more pics added too!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=409944
As far as smell, we have not had a problem at all. In the bean pot I throw a little piece of cloth in with a couple drops of EO's. It's funny because the bean pot smells so good, I take the lid off as soon as I go into the bathroom to enjoy the smell, while I'm going I dump the bean pot out every few days into an open laundry basket up in our laundry room. I empy the wetbag every few days also, & usually do nothing in the wet bag for smell. Once in a while I sprinkle a little BS in there, but since I havn't noticed a smell when I skip it, I have stopped using the BS The only time I have ever detected a smell was in the laundry room. My solution was to throw a dirty towel over the laundry basket, & it worked like a charm! I wash 1X/week. Hope that helps!

Here you go MelanieMC.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:50 PM

Why don't use toilet paper? I know it is bad for environment, but anything else? I did without it while travelling in India. I just rinsed with water. But after a while I got so disgusted especially after number 2.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:05 PM

That's like asking a woman who wears cloth pads why she doesn't use always or kotex. Cloth feels so much better against your skin, doesn't contain chemicals (toilet paper uses bleach in disgusting amounts to look clean and white), doesn't waste resources, doesn't waste money, you don't run out (unless you're behind on laundry).
Old 11-15-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I had no idea that this thread has continued to grow! I'm so glad that everyone has shared their experiences! And that so mamy mamas were willing to give cloth TP a shot!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:42 PM

hmmmmm.... never thought of this but i am now!

my BIG question (sorry if this has been asked before) what about the smell?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 11-27-2006, 02:49 PM

It doesn't smell, but I do use some tto in the bottom of my container, only because i love the smell of tto. If you use cloth diapers then it's the same concept with a covered container, except the smell is a whole lot less, because not all excrements are going into the container. KWIM.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:36 PM

Hehe I just wanted my 400 post to be about cloth tp!!!!

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
Old 12-22-2006, 04:15 PM

All right, I tried it... kinda.

I cut up an all-cotton woven shirt into squares and put 'em in a basket on the back of the toilet. I keep my ever-handy spray bottle of diluted 50/50 ACV next to it, to moisten the wipe (I find I like them moist, even for a pee).

Then... uh... what do I do with the used ones?
I've stuffed them into a small tupperware container, and I guess I'll wash them with the towels... but I'm still feeling very unsure about the whole deal. Will vinegar get them disinfected?

I do prefer the cleaner feeling of cloth, but don't want to make our dishtowels disgusting by washing them together.

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
Old 12-22-2006, 04:56 PM

I put mine in a small diaper pail with a Target bag liner. I need to get a wetbag I just keep forgetting when I'm buying diapers. I either wash them with the diapers or with towels on hot. For the diapers I use Allens detergent and for the towels I use bs. Then I dry them on hot or line dry them. Seems to get them pretty clean.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
Old 12-22-2006, 07:53 PM

Okay, I've done it! We are officially an all cloth family.

I have this weird wire cup thing that my mom gave me (I've seen similar things used to hold silverware) and I cut up an old tie dyed Tshirt of DH's- now this is sitting on the back of the toilet and it looks shockingly cool.
(We win the ultimate hippies award: tie dyed, reusable toilet paper.)

Then, I took a suction cup hook that I had, and hung a lingerie zippered laundry bag from the side of the toilet.

For Kleenex, I took DH's antique cigar box, cleaned it, rubbed it with tung oil, put a Pail Pal and several old hankies in it and put it on our coffee table. It looks way better than the Kleenex box, and amazingly matches our decor.

For the Kleenex next to our bed, I took this beautiful round box that my SIL made me (covered in Alaska sand, dried flowers, and polyurethane..so pretty) and filled it with one of my old, cut up Tshirts. Once again, way better than the Kleenex box.

You know the thing I'm most excited about though? I did this all for $0. I just used stuff that we had, and it is highly functional and looks better than before.

Oh, and can I say that DH loves the cloth stuff? He is so supportive. Plus, he said, "Wow, we're going to spend like $10 a year on toilet paper now. Awesome."

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:41 PM

Tie-dyed, recycled toilet paper?

That's awesome! I love it!

So far I haven't had much luck with the "toilet cloth" as my husband calls it; I think the shirt I cut up was too thin, or the squres too small, or something. I don't like the feeling of getting my fingers wet (or worse) so I think they need to be at least 2 layers, and a bit bigger.

It was wonderful, however, for when I had my period. I have still never mastered the art of the tidy divacup removal, and I was leaving bloodstains all over the toilet seat and floor. Yuck! But this time I just gave the square a quick spray with vinegar/water and used it to wipe everything up (including with myself) and the mess was a lot, lot better.

Perhaps I'll keep the cloth to use just for my period. Or maybe I'll try different cloth next time; perhaps a t-shirt is my answer.

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
Old 12-30-2006, 02:35 AM

I think I'm going to take the plunge ... tp is the last place we have paper products (my mom even stopped asking for paper towels a while ago and just grabs a washcloth in the kitchen now!), and dh is totally on board for using cloth in the bathrooms. My boys would transition very easily as they prefer the softness. I think I'll get another peri bottle for their bathroom and a couple small wetbags (I have one, but I use it in the diaper bag for out and about dirty diapers). Woo Hoo!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 PM

I got a great over the toilet shelf (etagee?) for X-mas and now I actually have room for family cloth - used to have way too much stuff on the back of the toilet. I have an old sheet that ripped that i'm planning to cut up and a lovely basket from a bath and body works giftset. I have a trash can and a wetbag and all I need to do is set it up. Maybe tonight is the night.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:54 PM

I did it! Dh is grossed out but I told him he doesn't have to use it. I found a really pretty porcelain canister/trash can at Bath & Body works, lined it with drawstring cloth bag that some sheets came in and cut up my old sheet. So far I like it but i must say the jersey knit sheet fabric is not very absorbent. I would like something more towel like.

Question? how do you cut fabric into neat squares/rectangles? My sheet turned into rags - all different sizes and shapes with rough edges. Not the prettiest but it'll work for now.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyp View Post
I did it! Dh is grossed out but I told him he doesn't have to use it. I found a really pretty porcelain canister/trash can at Bath & Body works, lined it with drawstring cloth bag that some sheets came in and cut up my old sheet. So far I like it but i must say the jersey knit sheet fabric is not very absorbent. I would like something more towel like.

Question? how do you cut fabric into neat squares/rectangles? My sheet turned into rags - all different sizes and shapes with rough edges. Not the prettiest but it'll work for now.

You could go as far as serging the edges, T&T, or straight stiching. I went as little as cutting my flannel squares with pinking shears. They freighd, but I didn't care. Not enough to matter. I cut my squares the hard way, by measuring with a ruler and then cutting. I have since got a quilting mat with a roller blade and cutting edge (all in one package from JoAnnes). I cut some today and it is so much easier and quicker. I don't have pinking blade, but I think they have them, and once again, I dont really care what they look like. I might zig zag the edges of these. Windy, sorry. HTH.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:47 PM

Ah, DD and I just made the switch...for pee only (or so I thought) over the weekend. We clothed diapered and wiped DD, and then transitioned to tp when she pottylearned. Well, she's been reluctant to wipe after peeing, and has been a little sore. So, the other day, I cut up my snowman pj's (into about 5x5-7x7 squares...totally random), and we're on our way. DD loves the snowman wipes and uses them every time...even for bm (she wiped herself!).

The first day, DH came home, saw the basket of wipes on the back of the toilet and asked "are these tinkle rags?" I don't think he's used them, but I'm sure he'll love them once he does!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:13 PM

So after I found this thread, I mentioned it to DH. He asked if it's really more environmentally friendly? We currently buy recycled TP.

Anyone?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMom View Post
So after I found this thread, I mentioned it to DH. He asked if it's really more environmentally friendly? We currently buy recycled TP.

Anyone?
Well my very laymen thoughts are yes, I would assume so in a large degree. Even though the paper is recycled, it still has to go through a certain amount of processing, a large amount I would think, to get from the recycled product to you, which would expend an awful lot of energy. If you used recycled fabric to make them, by that I mean an old shirt or blanket the energy expended making the product is your own. Then there is the water to wash, and from my understanding, my washer front loading, uses as much water as flushing the toilet. Then there is the dryer which I am not sure about, however I can't imagine it's as much as processing, making and transporting the tp to your door. And it's way more cost effective.

Tags
Lunapads , Natural Menstrual Products
User Tag List