Family Cloth...what nobody ever told you - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 452 Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastmom View Post
When we were in Pakistan we stayed with a family. In the bathrooms, there is a hose with a spray nozzle attached to the side of the sink cabinet which is next to the toilet. It is the same kind of spray hose that is in kitchen sinks. The idea is to spray yourself clean, then use a cloth.

It would be a similar idea to the link posted for the American Bidet handsprayer.
I so want a Bidet! The handsprayer seems like way too much fun for my 3.5 son to wash down the walls for the bathroom when I'm not looking
#242 of 452 Old 04-16-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaya View Post
I've been using cloth with no issues what so ever. I use those little baby "wash cloths" that come 4 to a pack in all kinds of colors. I can get four for 50 cents at the dollar store. I had intended to make my own, but never did. Theses are working great and saving me loads of money since I am pregnant and peeing every two minutes. For bm I just wet it under the sink which sits right next to the toilet. Bacteria doesn't bother me at all. My wipes looks cleaner than my husbands underwear do and I would never just throw out his undies because of a stain. Plus that's why we wash them, if they come out smelling fine and look ok, I assume that they're fine. But I also use cloth diapers, mama pads, paper towels, tissue, ect. So maybe I'm just not as afraid of germs anymore?

thought my dh was the only one who hasn't mastered the art of wiping his arse. Goodness my children do a better job (sort of)
#243 of 452 Old 04-16-2008, 11:50 PM

So here's a question...
I used to use cloth wipes when I was in university. I have fully experienced it, but then lived without running water for a long time (7years) and kinda lost the gusto to *do* all that.
Now...times have changed and I'm wondering...I use only cold water for my wash to save energy, and used recycled TP in small quantities. Would it be more of a drain on my overall footprint to use the hot water required to wash the cloth, than to just stick to my current situation? I wash my cloth pads in cold, but after a soak in vinegar and water. I feel as though for wipes, I would want to wash in hot...as this was my experience previously.
suggestions? thoughts?

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#244 of 452 Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Before we got our new furnace we didn't have any choice but to wash in cold. We dried them in the dryer to kill anything.

We wash everything in cold now and don't have any problems.
#245 of 452 Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indysmom View Post
This thread is crazy BIG! With 2 kids it will take me some time to get through it... So here is a question:

What kind of container do you use to keep the clean wet wipes in by the toilet?

We have a large diaper wipe container that I use(reuse) for my DDs wipes with her cloth diapers but I'd have to actually buy more wipes to get the container and I really don't want to do that. I need something easy for DS to open as he is now wipeing his own bum. Ideas?
Well for me, I just wet the wipes with water as I use them. My toilet at home and at work are both right beside the sink, so it is not an issue to just wet them if I need to.

For the actual cloth, I have a small basket at home sitting beside the toilet. I don't think anyone would actually know what the pretty pieces of fabric were for unless they asked. At work, I have a double sided wet bag. I keep clean wipes in the middle, so they are visable, and the used ones in either side in the zipper pouches.

Because I sleep at work, I am sure some of the day time people have seen my wetbag in the bathroom, but no one has ever mentioned it, and again, I doubt they would know what it was. It just looks like a purse, sort of, with fabric in it.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#246 of 452 Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Oh, and for washing, if I am rinsing them with mama cloth, I rinse in cold, then do a warm water wash. If I am rinsing them alone, I rinse in hot, then wash in cold with whatever load is going in next.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#247 of 452 Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 AM

I can't do it....

*sigh*

I just can't. DH will never do it and I don't want to touch his poopy t-shirt squares lol.

I'm such a weenie but it will never happen in this house.
#248 of 452 Old 04-17-2008, 11:38 AM

I had to find my own family cloth preference. DH doesn't want to use it, which is fine, because I am home all day and I pee a lot, so I was the biggest generator of TP use anyhow. Just using it for pee has been mind boggeling! I have purchased maybe 4 rolls of TP since I started months ago, instead of going through that much in a week. Insane!

For pooh, I usually wipe once with regular TP and finish up with family cloth. I tried only family cloth, but the smell between laundering got to me. It might not be a big deal if we ever have children and have cloth diapers to wash, but as it is I do not have a lot of laundry.

#249 of 452 Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM

I love my cloth wipes (I have a mixture of those I bought and those I made myself). I use them for both #1 and #2. I also use them to wipe our youngest when he goes #2. but of course a fresh one each time. and we only use cold water in our washer right now. though when we build our house I'm hoping we can have hot water connected to our washer then. and after the washer I throw them in the dryer on high heat for whites.

oh, and I make my own laundry powder soap, (1 cup Borax, 1 cup Super Washing Soda and 1 bar of grated Fels Naptha soap) and use 1 Tablespoon per load (but if the wash is extra soiled, then I use 2 Tablespoons) and I think my wipes get pretty clean.
#250 of 452 Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow! So much great info!! I just read all 13 (?) pages
#251 of 452 Old 11-04-2008, 01:14 AM

I recently started using cloth for pee since we have no money right now and I really love it!
#252 of 452 Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 PM

I heard about this about a month ago and thought, no thanks, I'm doing my bit with CDing my youngest two. I told DH about it and he had his standard "you're turning into a hippy" response. Now that I think about it more, I'm totally going to try it! I'm an "accidental environmentalist" as I started doing all sorts of new things to save $, but now I'm actually concerned about my carbon footprint. I haven't told DH yet, but I know he'll come around. He used to say he would never co-sleep and now that we have three kids (DD and DS share a bed) he says, "can we bring Isaac and Eva into bed tonight? I miss them." My evil plan is working.... LOL! Can't wait to until he starts telling his coworkers at the fire dept about this...

I'm Nina. Writer, doula, student midwife, non-conformist. Follower of Jesus. Wife to one sexy fireman, mama to four adorable kids. Lover of simplicity. And babies.

#253 of 452 Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 PM

OH YEAH. I hate coming home from work or somewhere and finding those linty fuzzballs in my girly bits! That has got to be my favorite thing about cloth TP.

I cut up a couple of DH's old shirts, over 2 years ago. I tend to lose a few along the way (they get dropped in the yard if they stick to the regular laundry), or I occasionally use them in place of paper towels and just toss a really icky one, but I haven't had to make any more yet.

We still use regular paper TP for BM, but a 12-pack lasts foreeeeeever.
#254 of 452 Old 11-05-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
OH YEAH. I hate coming home from work or somewhere and finding those linty fuzzballs in my girly bits! That has got to be my favorite thing about cloth TP.

Yes! This is what got me FCing full time.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#255 of 452 Old 11-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Banned

...and you know it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Even if you just use the cloth for pee (which we do) it saves a tonnnnnnnn of TP --- because really, how often do you poo Way TMI but for us unless we are having *issues* it is only like once a day or less -- however, me and dd pee several times a day and that is what uses the most TP, so cloth saves us tonnnns of TP, even though we only use it for pee.
#256 of 452 Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 PM

thanks!
#257 of 452 Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
I looked into this when we started CD-ing. The CDC has a webpage that addresses the issue of laundering fabrics soiled with bodily fluids. The information applies both to hospitals, which have large industrial washing equipment, as well as smaller facilities such as nursing homes, which typically have standard washers and dryers just like people have in their homes. Their report states that washing in ordinary washers with hot water and detergent, followed by hot machine-drying (or sun-drying) is adequate for removing all measurable bacteria.

Sweet, this is the type of information I'm looking for! Good to know. I'm going to figure out my own setup for now.

Also, I don't get why AF is a problem for cloth wipes, especially if you're using them for all bathroom needs.

Well I'm only on page 6 reading this, but wanted to pop on here!

signature currently in transition
#258 of 452 Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 AM

I happened upon this site a few weeks ago when I was researching about disposable toilet paper. I have been in the process of "greening" up my home and my life and finally decided to try to get past the ick factor and try out family wipes. Also, I was sick and tired of being held to ransom buying toilet paper and buying feminine products which they could charge the earth for and hold us all over a barrel (yes I own a mooncup too)
I purchased a bunch of baby cloths very cheap from the supermarket and also some face cloths for those 'heavier" times of the month.

I have to tell you, I'm a convert...absolutely LOVE it! The tiny bit of xtra work involved (which is really nothing...I simply use, rinse under the tap and throw in the bucket of stain solution beside the toilet...washing day comes and the entire bucket is tipped into the washing machine and thats it) is totally worth the comfort and hygiene benefits gained from using these wipes.

I also decided to go the whole 9 yards and use them for ALL motions, 1's and 2's. I have to say, the first couple of days were a bit like...go for 2's...comes time to wipe and I was cringing a little bit but you get used to it eventually and now its second nature for me. I have to convince hubby of course hahaha, he thinks I'm weird and is very dubious about the whole thing. Mind you, I was the guilty party for using screads of toilet paper ESP around the dreaded moon time. The paper seems to last forever with only him using it.

I havent had a period yet while using the wipes...I guess thats gonna feel alot better too

Ok, enough of my rant...I just had to come register and tell you guys.

PS. I just treated myself to 10 velour cloths to give my butt the royal treatment teehehehehe
#259 of 452 Old 12-17-2008, 12:57 PM

Update: Installed a bidet. No more dirty number 2's cloths woohoooooo!! :

Basically my fancy velour cloths are mere drying towels now. I still spray them with the yummy wipe solution I made to 'freshen' myself up down there
#260 of 452 Old 12-27-2008, 05:02 AM

I so need to get back to this. I was doing it about a year ago but got off coarse. I know how much it would save and how much better it feels so I just need to do it! For me and DS anyway!
#261 of 452 Old 12-27-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niengolina View Post
I heard about this about a month ago and thought, no thanks, I'm doing my bit with CDing my youngest two. I told DH about it and he had his standard "you're turning into a hippy" response. Now that I think about it more, I'm totally going to try it! I'm an "accidental environmentalist" as I started doing all sorts of new things to save $, but now I'm actually concerned about my carbon footprint. I haven't told DH yet, but I know he'll come around. He used to say he would never co-sleep and now that we have three kids (DD and DS share a bed) he says, "can we bring Isaac and Eva into bed tonight? I miss them." My evil plan is working.... LOL! Can't wait to until he starts telling his coworkers at the fire dept about this...
VEEEEEEEERY familiar. muwhahahahaha. Sounds like we have ended up with similar evil plans. Long ago, I just started using DD's wipes for pee to save $$, and realized how little TP we actually use for #2's and DH. Even if DH's don't buy into it, we use most of the TP anyway, and, I promise you if the little basket of wipes is right next to the pot, I'd guess that someday he's going to get curious.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#262 of 452 Old 12-27-2008, 06:10 PM

So far today I haven't used any TP! And I am pregnant so I pee a lot! This will be the real test because we are on our last couple of rolls so I want to see how long we can make them last! DH is the only one using TP now. I hope we can stick with it!
#263 of 452 Old 12-28-2008, 02:20 PM

I'm in. I'm going to make some dry wipes for me and try to get my kids to use them for number ones. But did anyone have trouble training the kids to not throw them in the toilet as reflex? I have a feeling I'll be fishing stuff out of the pot for a few weeks

It is good to have so much company in this endeavor! And we're still washing cloth diapers so that should be easy...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#264 of 452 Old 12-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiekicks View Post
Glad to see this thread. I'd thought about cloth TP in the past and let it slip my mind. I even mentioned it to DH a few months back and he was open to the idea, as long as we have a system that doesn't get too stinky. Now, I just need to find a wetbag and some old t-shirts.

I love using cloth wipes for ds--so much better than disposable wipes!

The concept of cloth wipes to replace TP is new. Never heard of the term "family" cloth. You know the idea of putting a family cloth in a container to wait till they get washed reminds me of something that I find very common in Mexico. In Mexico the toilets are not as well flushed as here so many Mexicans throw their TP in a wastepaper bascket rather than down the toilet.

If you ever use a public bathroom on a boarder town or a bus station near a boarder town you will notice a lot of TP tossed in the waste basket. I use to think it was strange till I went to Mexico and found it was a common practice.
#265 of 452 Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM

I'm back to cloth in the bathroom but still need to get back in the swing. stopped when dd stopped wearing dipes but now I 'm doing dipes every other day anyway so I've got the cloth back in the bathroom. I need to remember to stick with it. My dh loves the idea - he only uses it grudgingly but he wants me to use it because he thinks my tp use is bad for the septic.

That's another argument to sway the menfolk - no clogged toilets and no septic issues if you're not flushing loads of paper down there.
#266 of 452 Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned

I am fascinated by this thread. The reason I am fascinated, is I have always held the opinion that toilet paper probably does not do the job for most people, and that they would be better off with baby wipes. I am not suggesting it "does the job for me", but what I am saying, is a am a clean freak who never feels comfortable walking around after going to the bathroom, unless I have been able to hop in the shower or bath after, or hop in the river or lake for a swim. The times when I am not at home to do this, I will try to get really clean with paper towels, soap and water in a public bathroom. The problem with this, is that it takes a lot of rinses to avoid bubble butt. I know it sounds weird but it is true. If there is soap residue stuck in your butt, not only will it just smell like it's covered up the problem and not really dealt with it by fully rinsing, it can also be uncomfortable to walk around like that the rest of the day, and if you might be in unexpected intimate relations, it's embaressing. Once too much soap was used and it took about 15 paper towels drenched in water to fully get clean, and that is such an enviromental waste.

I thought I was the only one who had these obsessive thoughts. I seem to spend a lot of time wondering about other peoples habits or scared about what might be there lack of.

I try to just push this out of my head

But then recently, a news report came out about toilet paper going extinct. I clicked on the link and read the story and I have hope for a toilet paper free world now. The article was so right on. It stated that toilet paper was a really outdated idea that had simply never been dealt with after the initial creation or something along those lines. It went into great detail about the pounds of dirty toilet paper clogging up the water systems, and the fact that those workers have to seperate the toilet paper from the poop that is supposedly recyclable or can be made into fertilizer.

I am also fascinated about the toilets of the future. I will admit that I believe that will be a better option then the cloth, but perhaps the cloth can work in the meantime? Currently I switch off between a shower, swim, bath, baby wipes, and the dreaded toilet paper. I know baby wipes are not enviromentally friendly, therefore not the responsible choice. It is admirable, for us all to do our part.

The article I read, did a great job detailing the fact that toilet paper does little more then smear the poop. That is uncleanly! If poop landed on your arm, would you merely wipe it off with dry paper? NO WAY! This article was so right. So why do that in our intimate areas? That is what the article said. Even more so should we be concerned with "that" area, over our arm.

Thank you for listening.
#267 of 452 Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 PM

do you have a link to the article? is it online? i would love to read it. since moving to a house with a washing machine i am now sometimes using family cloth and sometimes tp

i have known people who use there hands and water with no cloth or anything and i wish i felt more comfortable with my body and was able to do that. maybe i will someday.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#268 of 452 Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM

a few weeks ago this wouldn't have even crossed my mind but i noticed it when i was looking up how to make my momma wipes and after the initial what?! i realized that it wasn't at all different from ds's diapers and wipes. i read a bunch of the previous posts but ended up skipping some as there are a lot and i can't spend all day in front of the screen....i'm going to try out dry cut up tees for pee and go from there.
so for those who wet wipe- do you keep them warm some how? seems like they would get cold unless you made each wipe at a time with warm water and solution ad that seems like a pain.or do you just use them room temp?
#269 of 452 Old 01-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear207 View Post
a few weeks ago this wouldn't have even crossed my mind but i noticed it when i was looking up how to make my momma wipes and after the initial what?! i realized that it wasn't at all different from ds's diapers and wipes. i read a bunch of the previous posts but ended up skipping some as there are a lot and i can't spend all day in front of the screen....i'm going to try out dry cut up tees for pee and go from there.
so for those who wet wipe- do you keep them warm some how? seems like they would get cold unless you made each wipe at a time with warm water and solution ad that seems like a pain.or do you just use them room temp?
if I use a wet wipe, I just hold a clean wipy under hot water then squeeze and use
#270 of 452 Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 PM

I'm telling ya girls...invest in a bidet. They start from as little as $25 for a plain natural water unit (it works a bit like a drinking fountain for your butt haha) and go up to about $500 (if you want the fancy blow drying, warm seat, cup of tea facilities) The cheaper ones are really good, I have the natural water bidet and I even installed it myself. Took me 10 mins and believe me, I'm soo not a DIYer.

I don't know how I went all those years using toilet paper...never did feel that clean afterwards and it was my habit to take a shower whenever I could after dropping a deuce.

Tags
Lunapads , Natural Menstrual Products

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page