Vacuum cleaner odors - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-27-2003, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a vacuum cleaner that doesn't stink when they run it? I'm ready to ditch my vac that uses bags because if I run over food or similiar the bag stink when you use the vacuum and I can't be replacing the bags each time I do that. So I borrowed my inlaws bagless vac, its only a week old, and that smells like old dirt when you run it and I cleaned the filter and the empited the container. Is there any hope? I really want a bagless vac, do you use one that doesn't stink?
#2 of 7 Old 02-03-2003, 10:22 PM

Our doesn't stink. We got it at Target for about $150 and it has a HEPA filter on it. I also vaccum up baking soda to absorb the odors insode the bags. Hope tht helps!
#3 of 7 Old 02-05-2003, 01:10 AM

Uhg. We have a dog and ours reeks on occasion especially when it rains. My husband used to dog-sit a dog that had mange that made the dog and everything it touched smell like garbage rot. Poor thing. Anyway you can imagine how horrid the vaccum was cleaning after the dog. We couldn't afford a new one [let alone nice one] at the time so I took the WHOLE thing apart [every single little peice I kid you not] and if I could submerge it in water I did so washing it in hot suds just like dishes and if I couldnt submerge it I took 409 and rubbing alcohol and lots of rags and qtips and cleaned until the thing looked like new. It worked. Nowadays we actually keep one bag in a plastic ziplock [gallon freezer size] and put it on and off when the wet dog fur carpet needs vacuumed and take it off and save until next time. Cheap but again it works.

Good Luck!! I am currently using a new-ish Eureka but if I was to go shopping again I would check out used-good stores or even asking at the local repair shop. There might be some new-ish vacuums that could be cleaned and save cost on high-end etc.
#4 of 7 Old 02-05-2003, 05:56 PM

I would put Arm & Hammer Carpet fresh in the bag or container. If you suck up a lot of food, I'd suggest using some type of small Dust Buster just for the food. You can empty it out right away and it would be easy to wash the waste container.
#5 of 7 Old 02-05-2003, 06:04 PM

I have a Rainbow and its the first vac I have had/used that doesnt stink. We have 2 dogs and 3 cats so it has a good opportunity to I sometimes will put essential oils in the water while using it. I also like the fact that is doesnt put out dust while in use
#6 of 7 Old 02-06-2003, 02:04 AM

After a while, but before it's full, our vacuum bag starts to smell like hot dog hair. I've started putting a few drops of essential oil (I use peppermint) on the bag when I put a new one on. It makes the house smell nice and masks the doggie odor. I sometimes have to replenish the oil once or twice depending on how often I vacuum.
#7 of 7 Old 02-06-2003, 02:53 AM

Sorry groundhog, just can't resist -

I didn't know hot dogs had hair! LOL!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page