Mr. Clean Magic Erasers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-19-2006, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am moving more and more towards natural cleaning products - everytime I finish something up, I replace it with a safter alternative. Can someone please clear this up for me - are Mr. Clean Magic Erasers a terrible product to be using in my home? I started using them to clean the scum/mineral build-up in the tubs and to clean the top of my stove and for the scuff marks on the walls and the scuff marks on the vinyl floors. They are unbelievable - everything comes off with little effort. When you wet them, there isn't any soap or anything that comes out of them. I figured it was something with the consistency of them that made them work so well rather than them being full of chemicals. I saw them as a good thing since I use them instead of the harsher things like Soft Scrub that I used to use to get things clean. I have heard others allude to the idea that they are not a good product though. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks a bunch!
#2 of 8 Old 01-20-2006, 08:01 PM

It is made up of Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium bisulfite copolymer. It is a plastic foam.
#3 of 8 Old 01-21-2006, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ok - thanks for the reponse - with a name like that, it doesn't sound good...

But is it ok to use in my home? Is it more of an environmental issue as far as production? Can anyone enlighten me?
#4 of 8 Old 01-21-2006, 12:47 PM

I love these too, but I also worry what they are made of. I'll be watching this thread!
#5 of 8 Old 01-21-2006, 01:03 PM

Every time I've used them on the walls, they've taken the paint right off. No wonder they take the mark off the wall if they take the pain off with it... I also used them to get a mark off of a melamine wood shelf (you know, fake wood on MDF) and it took the finish off the shelving. I haven't dared try it on the bathtub as our tub is made out of acrylic and I'm scared it will take the shiny finish off of it! I haven't had any luck with mine, so if I find out it's full of chemicals I'll be happy to throw them out. As it is right now, not sure why I still have them...

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#6 of 8 Old 01-21-2006, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The one I have was the only thing that took crayon off the wall. Yes, some paint came with it, but all the other methods of cleaning that crayon off had removed paint while not doing anything to the crayon itself.

It's one of the tools I'd minimize the use of, saving it for when more natural methods don't work.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 8 Old 01-21-2006, 05:35 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...t=magic+eraser

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...t=magic+eraser

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#8 of 8 Old 01-21-2006, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Read those, Thanks!
Sparing use seems reasonable to me.

"What will you do once you know?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page