What would you never let in your house and why - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 143 Old 02-06-2003, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do all these things make life harder, tasks LONGER etc.....?

I'm a working mommy, and heck if I'm going to clean anything I don't want to spend HOURS doing it......
If I'm going to cook - the MICRO is the fastest way - I'll use it.

I use TAMPONS, never could figure out how to use those other thingies (keeper?) and those Lunapads are fine, but what if your at work and you need to CHANGE IT - where do you keep the used ONE? ( )

You all sound very brave, true and all the rest of it, but I tell you there is NOTHING like NOT cooking and getting some take out every now and then.........

Chelly

(Who STILL HAS crayon on the bathroom walls)
#62 of 143 Old 02-07-2003, 12:33 AM

chelly, I notice cooking that things take longer fresh, grating my own cheese, since OG only has a block of red. sodium/fat....washing fresh spinach was an adventure....and making my own lemondade, instead of powdered. I guess its not as convenient, at least in my area, hunting down organic products. I don't work all day, and do these things, either. I guess that I know so much, that, I *can't* do things the conventional way! (you should have seen me cringe when I made the mistake *again* to send my husband to the store and he came back with conventional meat!!!!)

If you want to make changes, small steps. Some things I won't do, I use Naturacare Pads, and I can't get with the now, that I know they are keepers! Go with Organic Essentials or Naturacare, and protect yourself from dioxin. Use the mic with glass, maybe for warming up! I have cut back on mine, since I read about them, and I have a toaster oven, and with the range, its not so bad!
#63 of 143 Old 02-07-2003, 04:26 AM

Small steps are good - go with what you feel comfortable doing. Personally, I'm trying to do my best to make healthy and environmentally friendly choices but I don't want to get too stressed out about it. I think I'm making better choices than last year and, I hope next year, I'll be making better choices than I am today. Life is too special (especially since Lucas arrived) to be too stressed over these things.
#64 of 143 Old 02-07-2003, 11:25 AM

This is a very interesting discussion!
I really admire all of you for making these choices; it gets very overwhelming to me sometimes.

I have to say I agree with everything posted and do my best with most of it, but I still use the micro to cook oatmeal and reheat stuff (not in plastic though), and when it comes to toys, I'm a total sucker--I love toys and we have a great time with all kinds of toys (except weapons--not allowed!) --bells, lights, whistles, plastic, wood, fabric, whatever, we will play with it. Also, we "make" toys out of all kinds of every day household stuff.

Biggies for me are toxins in cleaners and personal care products, smoke of any kind (including candles), poison in food, and a really major issue with me is television. We have a t.v. but it is off in another room (for my husband), and Aiden doesn't really know what t.v. is. B/c a CD player is on top of it, and he sees me turn on the music, he thinks the t.v. is part of playing music; same with the computer when I play a CD on it. When he sees a t.v., he gets excited b/c he thinks it will play music -- very cute!

When it comes to food, I buy organic and try to avoid refined sugar and flour, but I am way too busy with Aiden to have time to make everything we like to eat especially bread products, so I look for products with organic ingredients and the list has to be things I recognize. (e.g., Ezekiel bread; crackers with just organic flour, non-hyd. oil, and salt) Lately, Aiden (16 months) has been helping me more in the kitchen so I've been thinking of trying to make some bread with him. I have to admit that being so busy and being so hungry all the time, I end up eating some things I'd rather not.

I am working toward getting rid of the carpet. Does anyone know anything about marmoleum? And want to get better cookware; could use some tips on what and where to buy it. Is corningware safe? Also, we want to build some playground stuff outside for Aiden. If we go to Lowe's, will they have wood that is safe to use? Thanks, hope I didn't stray too far off the topic.

Oh yeah, we don't have anything Barney, but what's wrong with Barney?
#65 of 143 Old 02-07-2003, 11:35 AM

I had to make the decision not to let it drive me crazy and live in fear! The fact is this is a *toxic*world! And the US in particular, and I feel that's the root of all our cancer rates! I like Natural Home as a source for info on non toxic home products! I have seen the floor covering you're talking about, I would think you could find some info on the web as well! Check out www.naturalhomemag.com, and they might have a link in friends of natural home! I personally like carpet under my feet, and have considered the alternative materials, and make sure that formaldehyde is not used in installing.
#66 of 143 Old 02-07-2003, 11:46 AM

things are harder in the beginning! i don't work outside the home but i have 5 kids and homeschool and work from home for hubby's business so i know about convenient! but it gets easier as you get more used to it. we replaced our carpet with tile and got rid of all particle board items. we use only metal or solid wood for our furnishings. lowes should have untreated wood for you to buy.VERY IMPORTANT!. of course use glass bowls etc instead of plastic. what i do is every time i need something- anything- i think "what is the safest alternative i can get?" for example if money is tight and i can't get the organic fruit i buy what i can at a local stand- they use less chemicals- and then wash really well with soap. it's not the best but it's the best i can do at the time. every little bit helps!
i'm so glad i found this group!!
#67 of 143 Old 02-08-2003, 12:36 AM

Toys that are violent.

Cigerettes.

Perfume ( It's not a mandate, I just have a sensitive schnozola.)

Cheap chocolate. I may have low standards, but this is one thing I will not budge

Video Games. (Brain Suckers.)

Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White (Codependancy,anyone?)

Store bought pudding and store bought cookies ( Overpriced.)
#68 of 143 Old 02-08-2003, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Shirley,
it's funny that you mentioned the fairy tales because my friend and I were just having that discussion the other day. She will not let her daughter watch anything (Disney channel is really bad) that has to do with the great search to find a boyfriend/husband. She hates it!
#69 of 143 Old 02-08-2003, 10:36 PM

...well, "Gladrags" to be exact: I bought a little black zippered pouch-thingy from them exactly for this purpose; it's waterproof and totally discreet.

Warmly,
Michelle - mom to ds (4) and dd (7 months)
#70 of 143 Old 02-08-2003, 10:54 PM

No more nail polish... don't want chemicals leaching into my body.

I miss pedicures, but I have learned to live without them.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#71 of 143 Old 02-09-2003, 04:19 PM

doula

Some of the modern Disney, I do not mind (Stanley, Out of the Box, PB&J Otter and Pooh) It's their older stuff (Cinderella, sleeping Beauty, Snow White) that I have issues with.

It is hard enough to raise a child with a good sense of self when what they watch in front of the TV complete negates the entire message you are trying to give.
#72 of 143 Old 02-12-2003, 05:34 PM

Hi there. I'm new here, and am interested in this topic.

I noticed some of you said you don't use aluminum cookware? At the risk of sounding naive, can you tell me what the danger is? We got tons of very expensive Calphalon cookware for wedding gifts 2 years ago, and we use it all the time. I believe it's all aluminum.

Thanks.
#73 of 143 Old 02-12-2003, 08:14 PM

People with Alzheimers have been found to have elevated levels of aluminum in their blood. There are contradicting medical opinions on where they are getting the elevated levels from.
#74 of 143 Old 02-12-2003, 11:46 PM

Corvus, I'd be very surprised if your very expensive set was all alluminum. Most expensive sets are stainless steal (with maaaaybe aluminum at the bottom.) Check online.
http://www.calphalon.com

Ditto to what Bladestar said.

Nobody knows for sure, but why chance it...

I have been using Tom's of Maine deodorant for 13 years because most deodorants on the shelf contain aluminum. My DH still uses BAN (with aluminum) because I'm the crunchy-granola one in the family (always have been) and he's NOT.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#75 of 143 Old 02-13-2003, 12:05 AM

well, I have a hard time "refusing" anything in the house because I live with my mom and little sister. BUT, these are some of the things I try to discourage THEM from buying...don't even get me started on what I won't buy for myself....the list could go on forever, lol...

things i try to discourage:

diet soda (any soda really, but this specifically)

toxic cleaners

nail polish

perfume

NESTLE (BLECK!!)

anything from CHILDREN'S PLACE

air fresheners and carpet fresheners

processed food

the "sperm donor" and his family

electronic toys

disposable diapers, ppr towels, pads, tampons

oh, im gonna stop cause i could keep goin! lol
#76 of 143 Old 02-13-2003, 11:47 AM

:LOL I had to laugh at "sperm donor", that is what I call my biological (a-hole) father!!
#77 of 143 Old 02-13-2003, 03:11 PM

: i know this may sound stupid but what is ec-ing?!
#78 of 143 Old 02-19-2003, 03:50 PM
Banned

cigarettes
#79 of 143 Old 02-19-2003, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldfashionmama
: i know this may sound stupid but what is ec-ing?!
ec= elimination communication
#80 of 143 Old 02-19-2003, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My hot buttons are:

No conventional foods (non organic) unless I can help it.
No unnatural cosmetics for me (SO still uses Dove deodorant)
No smoking or excessive drinking
No racist/sexist attitudes
No violence of any kind
No cleaning products but vinegar or baking soda
No conventionally bleached paper products or tampons, etc.

I’m really conscious of negativity in my life right now- since I bought this new house, it has felt like such a cozy sanctuary for me and I don’t like people invading it. I’m much more conscious of this kind of thing now, but I don’t let it worry me to death like I used to. And I’m working really hard on the microwave thing!

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#81 of 143 Old 02-19-2003, 06:33 PM

OK, somebody has to tell me what elimination communication is. I have heard it referenced and have no idea what it is. Somebody help me out of my state of ignorance here
#82 of 143 Old 02-19-2003, 11:47 PM

it's a way to go diaperless with your babe by getting in tune with their signals so you know when they need to go. There's a whole bunch of info under the diapering forum. It's a great idea, one which I wish I had more energy to devote to.
#83 of 143 Old 02-21-2003, 07:44 PM
jdl

toothpaste with fluoride

aspartame

chlorinated water

pacifiers

humidifiers

processed baby food/formula

(we use Orange TKO to clean everything)
#84 of 143 Old 02-21-2003, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdl
humidifiers
I don't have one, but what's wrong with them?
#85 of 143 Old 02-22-2003, 08:14 PM
jdl

Humidifiers put moisture into the air, which mold loves.
#86 of 143 Old 02-22-2003, 08:41 PM

Great thread!
Ditto on most everything else mentioned previously as well as:

DISNEY - we don't wear it, play with it, watch it, shop there, go there, etc., etc. - ICK!

AND most of all: any of my FIL's wives - past present and future
(except my MIL)
#87 of 143 Old 02-22-2003, 09:36 PM

Fabric softener

Paper towels (I'm proud of having held my ground against myself on this one for 8 months now)

Lysol, Drano, that kind of stuff

Crappy air freshners (I use essential oils)

Any of those stupid disposable items (Swiffers or the all time low - the disposable cutting boards). If I had a baby, I'd add "Bibsters" to that list!

Plastic dishes/tupperware

Disposable menstrual products

Soda

Clothing with the company's logo on the front (I do buy most of my clothing from places I'm not proud to patronize, but I draw the line at giving them free advertizing too)

Things I wish I could forego, but haven't yet:

All Teflon (I'm pretty close, but couldn't find a Teflon free bread machine pan)

All aluminum cookware (my Bundt pan is aluminum)

Bleach (I went without it for a long time, but when I had coccidia running through my foster kittens and I couldn't make it go away, I bought a jug of bleach and now use that to clean the cat nursery when I have sick ones)
#88 of 143 Old 02-23-2003, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mimmy
Great thread!
Ditto on most everything else mentioned previously as well as:

DISNEY - we don't wear it, play with it, watch it, shop there, go there, etc., etc. - ICK!

wow! im learning a lot from this thread! : ) why not disney?
#89 of 143 Old 02-23-2003, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chelly2003
Do all these things make life harder, tasks LONGER etc.....?

I'm a working mommy, and heck if I'm going to clean anything I don't want to spend HOURS doing it......
If I'm going to cook - the MICRO is the fastest way - I'll use it.

I use TAMPONS, never could figure out how to use those other thingies (keeper?) and those Lunapads are fine, but what if your at work and you need to CHANGE IT - where do you keep the used ONE? ( )

You all sound very brave, true and all the rest of it, but I tell you there is NOTHING like NOT cooking and getting some take out every now and then.........

Chelly

(Who STILL HAS crayon on the bathroom walls)
I'm not picking on you Chelly I just wanted to share my $0.02!

Cooking real food instead of preservative laden convenience foods is more convenient for me. For instance to make tortillas all you need is flour, salt, shortening, and water plus a rolling pin! It's so easy! And if you've never had a fresh tortilla well you are missing out! (They take 10 minutes to make homemade.) To buy them pre-made (convenient?) I would have to get 3 kids in carseats and fight traffic to buy them hoping I could find some relatively healthy ones. This also assumes I have time to buy them beforehand otherwise dinner is put off until we get back from the store and the kids will be hungrier and crankier than if we made them at home! (I am also 26 weeks pregnant!) (This would take 30 minutes+?)

Washing menstrual pads at home is more convenient that constantly having to buy them. I use a ditty bag for my used ones when I am away from home. (A ditty bag is a waterproof zippered bag - kind of like a reusable Ziplock!)

*Try a sprinkle of baking soda on a rag to scrub off the crayon.

I'm all for convenience too. Convenience is apparently what you make of it. Some would say cloth diapers are not convenient while I would say single use disposables are not convenient!

Warmly,
Debra
#90 of 143 Old 02-23-2003, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by compleatmomof4
Washing menstrual pads at home is more convenient that constantly having to buy them. I use a ditty bag for my used ones when I am away from home. (A ditty bag is a waterproof zippered bag - kind of like a reusable Ziplock!)

*Try a sprinkle of baking soda on a rag to scrub off the crayon.

I'll try the baking soda - cause HECK even bleach won't work.

I made some pads for myself last weekend - and got to use them this weekend! I'll stick to using them at home and overnight - I just am not comfortable enough to walk out the door with one on yet....... :

As far as cooking goes, our kitchen is so small its very frustrating to me....... we cook fresh veggies and that kind of thing, but we do buy our totilla's, bread, etc.......

Chelly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page