Family Cloth -- Photos of your "Setup" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 12-27-2006, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/133/3...80042930e8.jpg

That's my setup. I use organic velour wipes in a wicker basket on the back of the toilet and the used ones go in that blue can, which is just a garbage can from IKEA lined with an old pillowcase. For now, I only use cloth for pee. Nobody has ever asked me what the wipes are for - I guess they all assume they're for my daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedalbj View Post
bumping to say, I would love to do this but was procrastinating, and now I know why, the wipes I planned on using (old cd wipes) are natural colored! I need pretty rainbow color wipes like you mama's, then i could put them in a basket on the toliet and give the john some color!!!
It's so very easy to add colour to them!
#32 of 48 Old 01-11-2007, 06:19 PM

So how did you all get your hubbys to start using cloth. I've thought about switching but I don't know if he would do it. I don't think the kids would have a problem with it, but him I don't know. We would definitely save a lot on toilet paper. My older son and hubby practically use half a roll of tp every time they go to the bathroom!!

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#33 of 48 Old 01-17-2007, 11:43 AM

Here is our setup.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...6108QZuXDFm0ag

Marc hasn't converted yet, and I've been doing this for well over 6 months now, so I'm not sure he ever will. Maybe someday!

I keep all of my wipes dry in the wipes warmer (which isn't plugged in). If I need one wet I just use my diaper sprayer to get it damp. My favorite wipes are old cotton tshirt material. Most of mine are from an old pair of pink pajama bottoms. I made sure to label the garbage can so that nobody would get confused and try to throw garbage in my dirty wipe pail, which is the tiny flip-top can that's white and silver on the left.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#34 of 48 Old 01-17-2007, 11:43 AM

Woah! How did I get an actual picture in my post?!?!?!?!?

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#35 of 48 Old 01-17-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenyostdc View Post
So how did you all get your hubbys to start using cloth. I've thought about switching but I don't know if he would do it. I don't think the kids would have a problem with it, but him I don't know. We would definitely save a lot on toilet paper. My older son and hubby practically use half a roll of tp every time they go to the bathroom!!
*forget* to leave/re-stock toilet paper in the bathroom and make sure there is a nice fluffy stack of wipes LOL... I have heard quite a few say this has worked. If he already knows that you and the kids use wipes, he'll know what to do with them and it shouldn't be an issue.
#36 of 48 Old 01-17-2007, 08:20 PM

Hmmm. You guys are getting me more and more interested in this. But...

Do the wet bags stink though? I tried using one for dirty diaper storage in my bathroom (a GOOD one too, by Happy Heineys, with a zipper and all), and it made my bathroom smell like an outhouse. I MUCH prefer a step can for stink containment. But maybe family cloth is not as stinking, since it is not DRENCHED in urin the way a diaper is?

And what of washing cloth that was used for BMs? How do you do that? I CD, but I am a toilet swisher. I swish and scrub with a vegetable brush ALL visible traces of feces before I stick a poop diaper in the can. However, I would NOT want to do that with my husband's cloth, KWIM? Any tips for that?
#37 of 48 Old 01-18-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
But maybe family cloth is not as stinking, since it is not DRENCHED in urin the way a diaper is?
In my experience family cloth doesn't smell at all. There's really so very little urine, or even feces, on the cloth that odor just isn't an issue. Diaper pail stench is another matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
And what of washing cloth that was used for BMs? How do you do that?
This is really gross to talk about! I have to say that the only evidence of a BM is a skid. I suppose if one was having major tummy issues and things were exceptionally wet it might be different, but that hasn't been a problem for me in over 6 months of doing this. I guess you could always use paper for those times. I just toss those wipes in the can with the urine ones and wash the same way, with no extra fuss.

#38 of 48 Old 03-26-2008, 05:09 PM

I usually use hot water in the wash cycle and add baking soda. I will then use GSE or TTo or maybe even LEO to make them smell better later. Also to control the smell (even though I havent had that problem to make the hubby happy about it I will sprinkle the baking soda on the bottom of the pail.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#39 of 48 Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 PM

I've thought off and on about doing this but haven't yet. We're working on ways to trim our budget and this seems like it would be a big savings for us. We cloth diaper the baby already, so there is a diaper pail in our bathroom upstairs. I don't think we can spend any money on a new setup for the main bathroom. I do have plenty of t-shirts that I can cut up. I think we'll try it for awhile (and I'll just run my boys used wipes up to our bathroom) and if it works well, I can justify purchasing a small step can and a liner.
#40 of 48 Old 03-27-2008, 08:10 PM

Some of you have fancy set ups! Ours just consists of homemade wipes next to the towels and wash cloths, and the diaper/wipe bucket.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#41 of 48 Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM

I've got a suction cup hook on the side of the toilet tank, with a mesh bag hanging for used wipes. The clean ones sit on the sink in a wipe container.
I have a box under the sink with all of dd's clean dipes and underwear.

I love cloth wipes!

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#42 of 48 Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 AM

Mine is not fancy either. I have a wet bag tied to the door (since our bathroom is about as big as a match box hehe no kidding) and we have a basket with the whipes in it. I have toilet paper on the roll for guests that is it.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#43 of 48 Old 03-28-2008, 01:25 AM

That's it. I'm doing it.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#44 of 48 Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narn View Post
That's it. I'm doing it.
The only thing you'll miss is lint balls- you know, if you really like lint balls
mamabear7 likes this.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#45 of 48 Old 02-21-2014, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have been doing family cloths for three months now, and I really love it! My husband doesn't mind; he just goes with the flow. And of course he doesn't have to do anything but wipe. I have a mason jar on the windowsill that I keep my clean wipes in. And we just toss them into a bathroom laundry basket. There is absolutely no smell. We keep a few rolls of t.p. for our guests. The only trouble I have is keeping up with the laundry on occasions. But that's just me.joy.gifeyesroll.gif my dad and siblings make fun of me and it makes my friends nervous, but I know in my heart that I am doing my part to protect our mother earth.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#46 of 48 Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 AM

I'm not adding a pic because my set up is super-easy to describe (and super-easy to put together!), but here it is:

I have a bag (that i made out of a fleece baby blanket) full of cut-up t-shirts and old washcloths that are falling apart that i set on top of a cat litter bucket by the toilet. Typically, i use them dry, but wet them at the sink if need be. When the bucket is full, i dump it into the washer with my cleaning cloths for the week. I also put my homemade pads in this bucket.

It really doesn't need to be more difficult than that. :)

#47 of 48 Old 04-21-2014, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

There are photos of my setup in this post:

http://www.liverenewed.com/2013/05/how-to-use-cloth-wipes-all-around-your-home-green-in-365.html

I am a "just for pee" user, and I am the only female in my home (for another week or two...!) and always was a conservative user of TP--but my switch to cloth cut our TP use by almost half!  We buy recycled-paper unbleached TP by the case to get a good deal, and we are now buying a case only every 18 months or so.

We also use the same cloth wipes for next-to-the-bed intimate hygiene.  I am amazed at how both male and female fluids simply come out in the wash, in cold water--it's rare to notice any that didn't get completely clean.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#48 of 48 Old 06-21-2014, 10:01 PM

This thread has inspired me to give this a try for myself and DD. There is no way DH would be on board.
I'll probably just cut up an old pair of pajama bottoms or a receiving blanket and put the wipes in an old diaper wipes container. As far as what to do with the used wipes for now...a bucket. If it ends up a sustainable venture for us, I will upgrade to a pail with a lid.

Thanks ladies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page