Family Cloth -- Photos of your "Setup" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 02-12-2006, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok family cloth mamas...I know the one thing that deterred me from starting family cloth was that I couldn't envision how it would all be set up. Let's share photos of what it really looks like in your own bathroom!

We use dry wipes for pee and have wipes in the warmer was poops. We also use those wipes for DD's diaper changes. We are currently using a Bummi's wetbag for the dirties, but we are going to get a stainless steel step can.

You can see photos of it HERE and HERE .

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 02-12-2006, 01:42 AM

Neat idea using the warmer! I bought a used one thinking to use it for our baby's wipes, but so far I've just wet them under the faucet. What kind of cloth wipes are you using?
#3 of 48 Old 02-12-2006, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yes....we love the warmer. I don't use it everyday, but it's so easy to set up with some lovely smelling wipe solution. If I use distilled water, it doesn't get "stinky" overnight. Just be sure to use a top warming warmer. The other kinds can get too hot and don't work as well...or so I've heard.

We have a variety of wipes from different WAHMs. I like Emibeans and Lucy Luvs .

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#4 of 48 Old 02-12-2006, 12:40 PM

oops double post
#5 of 48 Old 02-12-2006, 12:40 PM

Here's my set up. The first 2 pics are of the downstairs 1/2 bathroom! I'm excited to show it off because we gutted this bathroom when we moved in in July & just finished it in December. It's still a little stark because I need to put stuff on the walls.

The others pics are the upstairs bathroom. I'm not crazy about the looks of my red bummies hanging bag (sticking out like a sore thumb), but very functional. No offence Delight, I see you have the same bag! I might just sew up a more neutral bag or something, shrug. But the upstairs bathroom is rarely used by guests so that's why I'm not to worried about it!

Click link below, Then click on the "Family Cloth" album

http://www.picturetrail.com/uid4267737
#6 of 48 Old 02-12-2006, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the referral, Delight! I just placed an order on Emibeans.

Thanks for sharing your pictures too, EricLeigh! We are moving very soon and I'll have to figure out how to set up our new bathrooms - we're going from one bathroom to two.
#7 of 48 Old 02-13-2006, 03:13 PM

(opps posted in the wrong thread)

I particularly love the chamber pot receptacle (photo) for the dirty cloths. I don't know if that's what it was originally, but it totally fits the scheme of things.
#8 of 48 Old 02-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh
Here's my set up. The first 2 pics are of the downstairs 1/2 bathroom! I'm excited to show it off because we gutted this bathroom when we moved in in July & just finished it in December. It's still a little stark because I need to put stuff on the walls.

http://www.picturetrail.com/uid4267737
Cool cloth! LOL Mainly I'm posting to say I love your downstairs bathroom! The color on the walls is beautiful
#9 of 48 Old 02-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We don't have family cloth as I'm the only girl and even I don't use cloth for Bm;s, but I don't have anything fancy just some squares cut from a receiving blanket sitting on a shelf and a old folders can Works for me at least.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 48 Old 02-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight
Yes....we love the warmer. I don't use it everyday, but it's so easy to set up with some lovely smelling wipe solution. If I use distilled water, it doesn't get "stinky" overnight. Just be sure to use a top warming warmer. The other kinds can get too hot and don't work as well...or so I've heard.

We have a variety of wipes from different WAHMs. I like Emibeans and Lucy Luvs .
Just curious what brand wipe warmer you have? We're looking to go completely cloth with our next dc, plus family cloth so I'd love to have a good warmer around!
#11 of 48 Old 02-13-2006, 04:53 PM

All this talk about wipe warmers is making me think! Maybe I should try using cloth for BM's too???? We have a warmer sitting up in our attic, since DD uses the potty. Hmmm I don't know if I wanna go there, since I'm not washing dipes anymore. Do your poo wipes get stained? Convince me to try it.
#12 of 48 Old 02-13-2006, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryPixie83
Just curious what brand wipe warmer you have? We're looking to go completely cloth with our next dc, plus family cloth so I'd love to have a good warmer around!
Our warmer is a DEX warmer. Got it at Target a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh
Do your poo wipes get stained? Convince me to try it.
No stains. It works just like using cloth for diaper wipes. I've never had a staining problem with either one. If you're concerned, you could always go with black or navy blue wipes. Thanks for sharing your pics...I do love your paint color too! As far as my bright red bag... It drives me crazy too. I need to get to Target and get the stainless steel step can. That bag will line it perfectly.

I think the best way to decide is to just try it...you'll be pleasantly surprised. Even my DH likes them. And he said he was NOT going to use them...but ran out of paper tp one day and had to.

And I must say, after using cloth, you'll get spoiled. I was at a rest area this weekend and their toilet paper was soooo crunchy and owie!!

#13 of 48 Old 02-14-2006, 02:01 PM

Cloths with wipe solution spray bottle

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ea/misc011.jpg

Reused storage container for soiled wipes

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ea/misc010.jpg

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#14 of 48 Old 02-16-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryPixie83
Cool cloth! LOL Mainly I'm posting to say I love your downstairs bathroom! The color on the walls is beautiful
Thanks Crystal! I love the paint color too! I really love to see all of the bathroom pics! Its so cool when other people here see it & decide to try family cloth because it really looks neat & clean & comfy & not yucky or messy! Come on mama's lets see some more
#15 of 48 Old 02-17-2006, 03:11 AM

OH I wish I could post mine, but I am not at home. I am really thinking about the wipes warmer though. I am wondering how easy it is to open? My four yr old would have to get in there. She can wet a wipe at the sink but I really like the warmer idea. We are also going to be moving soon so we will be chaning things around. But as of right now I have a little box that I crocheted to hold the wipes downstairs, and I have a basket that is on top of our dryer that holds all of our dirty cloth, like from the kitchen, spills and cloth tp, so that is where it goes. Upstairs is very unorganized so I won't share that. I am hoping to get it more together in the next house. I also need to get more. Sometimes my 4 yr old uses 4 for one pee... I guess you can't really get away from the whole using the whole roll of tp withthem So thank you for posting where you got them. I just made my own and since I never have ordered diapers online, just used flatfolds, I don't know ANY diaper sites that had wipes. I will try to take some pictures when I get a chance.
#16 of 48 Old 02-21-2006, 09:56 PM

Emi Beans shipped super fast and even included some freebies! Jennifer did a great job! I teased my daughter that the Curious George wipes are all mine! We decided to share them.
#17 of 48 Old 02-21-2006, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yes...she is great. I know some people think 'm crazy to have people "make my toilet paper". But I like it to be pretty and I don't have time to sew. Yay for Curious George!

#18 of 48 Old 04-06-2006, 11:02 PM

Oooh, you mamas are making me want to try this! I already use(d) the Keeper and we do cloth dipes for the babies, so why not this? I think dh would get on board because I am the one that does laundry and it would save money. For those talking about the Target stainless steel stepcan and the Bummis bag-are you saying the size Medium Bummis red wetbag will fit? I already have 2 of those so if so that would be nice.

Blessed mama of four
::
#19 of 48 Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 PM

Cool thread!

I'm almost there... as soon as I have my -own- washer and dryer again. Where did you find your beautiful bean pot, Delight?
#20 of 48 Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 AM

I got the bean pot locally at a store called The China Shop, but I bet you could find one online or in a cooking store, maybe bed bath & beyond?
#21 of 48 Old 04-07-2006, 09:40 AM

Oops! Sorry, EricaLeigh.
#22 of 48 Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 AM

Don't worry about it klondikesky! Delight, I asked Dh to get the wipe warmer out of the attic so I can try using wet wipes for #2!

I'm glad this thread is still going. I really think it helps people to see some different cloth setups. They can see it can be clean & neat & you don't have to go out & buy special stuff to do it. And we don't have no smell problems, I promise! I still want to see more pics
#23 of 48 Old 04-16-2006, 12:50 AM

Ok I finally got my pics up! My toddler uses cloth training pants so we keep those in a basket on the back of the toilet. I keep another basket of wipes (along with my bag of mama cloth) next to the toilet on the counter. If I know my toddler or I are going to go #2, I wet the wipe under hot water first. We use a stainless steel step trashcan w/ removable plastic liner for the used pants and wipes. I will sometimes empty the can into a wash with the babies' diapers or sometimes just do a quick one by themselves. It is so easy, I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...llfamcloth.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...lfamcloth2.jpg

Blessed mama of four
::
#24 of 48 Old 04-17-2006, 01:46 PM

I hadnt even thought of using cloth wipes for us all. Kinda a duh thing though, huh? I already use cloth wipes for diaper changes. This could save me the stress of my 3 yr old using half a roll of tp to wipe and clogging the toilet. Very cool. I think I am gonna get on board with this. May take some convincing Dh.....but am sure as long as he does not have to be teh one cleaning them.......LOL
Thanks for the ideas ladies!
Tonia
#25 of 48 Old 04-17-2006, 03:03 PM

DISCLAIMER: DH finally taught me something about digital photos and the computer so be patient please if this doesn't work.

I finally got some pictures of my cloths and cloth dryer. I made a ring dryer but am switching to small chain link for durability. I started with string just to get it going.

http://members.cox.net/rabbithorns/clothtp.jpg

http://members.cox.net/rabbithorns/clothtprainbow.jpg

But now I'm thinking of switching to one or two cloths that I rinse after use (and wash weekly). That's been in another discussion and since it still uses less water than is used to make tissue paper pulp (millions of gallons) then I might do that.
#26 of 48 Old 11-15-2006, 06:32 PM

Bump
#27 of 48 Old 11-15-2006, 06:39 PM

great pics! i had never thought of this. yet another 'duh!' moment for Maggie.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#28 of 48 Old 11-15-2006, 06:43 PM

I am always afraid the kids would knock the wipe warmer into the tank

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#29 of 48 Old 11-15-2006, 07:31 PM

Wow, I don't have any special setup. I keep the diaper pails in the bathrooms, one in each bathroom so I'm not going up and down the stairs all the time, and we just throw our wipes in there with DD's diapers. They're just lidded kitchen trash cans. Upstairs, I keep wipes folded in an old disposable wipes container on the back of the toilet, and downstairs they're in a drawer in a little set of plastic drawers that also holds some towels and some cleaning supplies. Nothing fancy. If I need a wet wipe, I just wet it in the sink, which is within reach in both bathrooms.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#30 of 48 Old 12-16-2006, 07:01 PM

bumping to say, I would love to do this but was procrastinating, and now I know why, the wipes I planned on using (old cd wipes) are natural colored! I need pretty rainbow color wipes like you mama's, then i could put them in a basket on the toliet and give the john some color!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page