Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are a few sites to look at:

http://www.wakeup.to/danger
http://www.come-clean.org/tenreasons.htm
http://www.childenvironment.org/parent_text.htm
http://www.herc.org/library/msds.htm
http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/

If you want any more information, email me.

Natasha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What is washing soda?

ADDED:
OK, I know now and found some. But I'm wondering if a commercial company makes some that would be cheaper and easier to find?
Is this a stupid question?
LOL
Old 03-17-2006, 03:06 PM

I found the washing soda as well... by arm and hammer... but the smell is really strong. I didnt buy it because of how strong it was. It seems like I can only find it at one store in my area.

:
Old 03-21-2006, 01:25 AM

Kudos to those who have the patience to grate soap for laundry - ugh! I used to grate soap to do french-mill soaps, but that gets really old, really quickly, grating all that soap.

You can find local or online soap companies that sell grated soap, even better, castille soap for next to nothing by the pound. That's probably the best stuff you can use, even better than Ivory Soap. Castille is made from olive oil, and cleans very well. There are no artificial colors or scents put in castille soap. And I'm confident that 99% of people on this planet are not allergic to castille soap.

I mentioned this in another thread - washing soda is a chemical cousin to baking soda, but has a much higher pH, so it can irritate/burn the skin. Don't handle washing soda with bare hands. It's great for cleaning, but I haven't personally used it. I just stick with food grade stuff, like baking soda.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip--if anyone finds a link to grated/flaked castille soap that's inexp, pls post here.

So far I'm still using up the grated Ivory soap bars, and we're very happy with the results and the savings. Occasionally a soap chip doesn't dissolve, but we finessing our technique. I now keep a clean jar down by the laundry and dissolve the soap somewhat by shaking it up with hot water before adding it to the load. We've been adding borax and also vinegar in one of those Downey balls.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

can't seem to edit anymore :-/ anyway, just to clarify, we put borax in the load and the vinegar goes separately in a downey ball. this might be overkill, but I find if we forget to put the damp laundry on the line or in the dryer for a day or so, it still smells fresh.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Baking soda is sodium bi-carbonate (one sodium atom for every two carbon atoms), while washing soda is sodium carbonate (one sodium atom for every one carbon atom). Baking soda is less caustic because of the increase in the amount of carbon in the molecule.

(So much for avoiding a science experiment, eh?)

I use grated Dr. Bronner's, washing soda (we have hard-ish water) and water to make a liquid soap, and put white vinegar (in a Downey ball) in the rinse cycle. I don't use borax at all, as it is really hard on fabrics. (While I would agree that the liquid soap is a bit of a hassle to make versus just using grated bar soap, it does make it easier for my teen-aged boys to do their own laundry if they just have to put in a scoop of liquid soap and toss in the Downey ball.)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 04-09-2006, 02:11 AM

I've never heard of balling up aluminum foil to avoid static cling. I use vinegar instead of fabric softener but in the winter it doesn't cut it.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the tip about pulverizing the dried soap gratings. I just grate the soap into a bowl or jar and leave uncovered. Eventually it dries out, and I just crush it in my hand as I put a handful in the wash. it does make it easier to dissolve and beats my old system.

hmm, i'll have to cut back on the borax. didn't realize it's so hard on clothes. i'll have to hunt down some washing soda, but somehow borax seems much easier to find.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:36 PM

I have not been able to find washing soda either

In my local area that is...
Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 AM

Old 08-13-2006, 03:34 AM

I found this article on the safety is Fels-Naptha Soap, since I bought my first bar.

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/qandatemp.php?id=Q61

From the article:
Quote:
"Chronic toxicity testing has not been conducted on this product. However, the following effects have been reported on one of the product's components. Stoddard solvent: Repeated or prolonged exposure to high concentrations has resulted in upper respiratory tract irritation, central and peripheral nervous system effects, and possibly hematopoetic, liver and kidney effects." Stoddard solvent is another name for mineral spirits, which are, like petroleum distillates, a mixture of multiple chemicals made from petroleum. Exposure to Stoddard solvent in the air can affect your nervous system and cause dizziness, headaches, or a prolonged reaction time. It can also cause eye, skin, or throat irritation.

Both MSDS's note that the ingredients are not identified as carcinogens or potential carcinogens. Their health effects rating is 1, which is "slight."

User Tag List