Vacuum??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-06-2003, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok....
I'm just wondering something...Dh and I just bought a new vac...an expensive one, and now that we are home, I'm worried that we made a stupid decision. We don't really have the money right now, of course we used the credit card cause it was cheaper to pay the interest on the card then the interest to do payments with the vac people.

It was alot more then I thought I would spend on a vac, but it has a 30 year motor and body warrenty. Our old vac's motor went, mind you it was like 40 years old and passed down from my mom when we moved out, so I really wanted something that would last a long time and have a good warrenty and I really do like it...(as much as you can like a vac ) it has a great filtration syst....hepa et all.......but I'm afraid we may have went overboard....
Who would have thought a vac would get me thinking...lol...must be the horomones!

What kind of vac do you gals/guys use?? Do you think it's stupid to pay more money for something that will last longer and is healthier??

Thanks!
Jen
#2 of 16 Old 02-06-2003, 12:25 AM

I have an Oreck, which I love, because it is incredibly lightweight, works great, and has a great hepa filtration system. My mom gave it to me for my birthday one year though, so I don't even know how much they cost. I think they're fairly expensive.

I have never purchased a vacuum - until my mom bought me the Oreck I was using one from the '70s that had belonged to my dh's parents. It was so heavy I had thrown my back out from using it.

But a vacuum is a necessity. If you are still going to be able to pay rent, eat, and make the payments, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like my best friend always says - if you are going to do it, then do it and enjoy it. No point in doing it and not enjoying it by stressing.
#3 of 16 Old 02-06-2003, 12:27 AM

Moving this to the "healthy" home forum!
#4 of 16 Old 02-06-2003, 12:34 AM

I have a Eureka Whirlwind 12 amp and I hate it. It just does not get the job done. I can do a better job with my 7.2 amp Dustbuster. I can't wait to get a house and have wall to wall laminate.
#5 of 16 Old 02-06-2003, 12:44 AM

Is it a Kirby?

I joked to a friend of mine, when her hubby bought her one "he must really love you" And this guy we were having lunch with agreed - oo, a Kirby! The Rolls Standard!

We've got a pretty cheap one. Hepa and such.

Oh, the best vacuum I EVER had - as if I spend my life thinking of these things... a Beam central vac - man, that was cool. you know, tubes in the walls, just the hose, canister in the garage? that sucker, well, SUCKED! It could suck your fingers right off! If I ever have the means again, I'm getting another central vac. Decadence be damned. (did I just say that??? )

I say, if it works and you needed it, it's probably a good value for the investment. And if you get to keep it for 30 years or more, that's way better than buying a new one every 10.

Good luck!
#6 of 16 Old 02-06-2003, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Oceanbaby...your right...no sense doing it then stressing about it...

Oh....my mom's friend has a central vac system...I don't know what brand or anything, but man was it nice...and you are right suction city!

It's not a Kirby...I've never heard of them, but they did compare it to a Kirby...It's a Miracle Mate....

It's actually pretty nice...I do like it....and having worked in the Hospitality bus for 7 years...I do know I bit about vac's....I used it as soon as we got home on the carpet in the computer room, I got stuff up that I couldn't get up with my Dirt Devil cheapo from Walmart...my carpet it actually pink....lol....

Jen
#7 of 16 Old 02-06-2003, 01:46 AM

we just bought a really expensive vac too - we had to because we bought a wool rug and can't use a regular beater bar kind of vac on it. i was shocked at spending so much, but i gotta tell you, i actually like to vacume now, and i used to HATE it - so i guess it was worth it. plus, it should last 30 years, and most vacs these days only last 5 or so before crapping out. so over time, it's a good investment....

forgot to add, it's a miele brand - made in germany
#8 of 16 Old 02-06-2003, 01:57 AM

We also have an expensive vacuum. We love its ability to get the dirt out of the carpets being we have lots of pets in the house. We figured it was worth the $$ to have something that actually worked and would last. So nice to be able to look deep into the pile of the carpeting and see NO dirt what so ever
Ours is a Rainbow.
#9 of 16 Old 02-06-2003, 04:35 PM

we bought on-line at Target.com for $150 (I think it was $235-$250 retail). Of course the company has gone out of business now but you can still buy replacement parts/HEPA filters.

I like mine because it is bagless. I empty the canister after each room; sometimes I have to empty it before I finish a room it gets so full! (I vacuum every other day.)

I also like how the handle becomes a hose to clean up little stuff or in crevaces. I hated having to hook up a seperate attachment.

That being said use whatever vacuum that is easy for you to use! We went through $35 Dirt Devils and the like for years before we realized how much money we were spending on vacuum cleaners. I shudder to think of how little my old vacuums actually sucked up since I only chanegd the bag every few months; don't they say when it's 30% full (the bag) the suction power is dramatically reduced?
#10 of 16 Old 02-07-2003, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

I couldn't be happier with this vac now!
I admit that the initial cost was a bit more then I thought I would spend...but yesterday I vac the area rug under our table....and my goodness...it came soooo clean!
We rent the house and the rug was here when we came, but every time I would vac with the dirt devil...it just looked dirty still....
So this was my true test for our new vac! Yeah!!!

You are so right too....we had just bought our dirt devil about a year ago and I was already thinking we should get a new one! It didn't work to good.

The miracle is german made too....dh said you know if it is anything like their cars, we got a good deal!

Jen
#11 of 16 Old 02-14-2003, 04:50 PM

I have Kirby & I love it!
#12 of 16 Old 02-16-2003, 07:43 PM

Anyone know a vacuum that can handle long hair. I have long hair and it keeps getting rapped around the brush. We clean it after each room, but we keep busting the belts on it. It would be worth it to me to find one that could handle my hair
#13 of 16 Old 02-16-2003, 08:04 PM

I am looking for a vac that can handle long hair too, momatheart23. I just replaced the belt and I think I am destroying my vac. I have a hoover. It's what I could afford in college. I keep cutting it off the beater, but I can't keep up.
My MIL has a central vac and I am not too impressed with it. My hoover gets the carpet cleaner than her central does. Maybe it is just a bad one?
#14 of 16 Old 02-17-2003, 02:19 PM

I think that a vacuum is absolutely an investment! I buy lotsa cheap other stuff, but we did sepnd about $800 on our vacuum -- we bought a miele.

I researched vacs for months before deciding on this one. We chose it because we have hardwood floors and carpeting and rugs. Plus, we have two dogs who leave a lot of hair their wake!

I also considered the Rainbow and the Kirby, which I also found to be great. I ultimately went with the Miele because it is a canister-style vac, and could be used to vacuum air vents (ours are on the ceiling here in Texas) and lightbulbs and fans and so forth. It is very lightweight and I love it!

We used www.epinions.com as a good resource, as well as other internet sites, including the Miele site, itself.

I think that you should feel FINE about spending a lot on a vacuum! Your air quality is very important!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#15 of 16 Old 02-19-2003, 03:44 PM
Banned

We just bought a Miele too. Bought a hoover last year and it broke this year. Decided to make an investment this time to have one that would last a long time. And I LOVE it.
#16 of 16 Old 02-19-2003, 06:06 PM

We have a banged up blue Electrolux my mom found at a yard sale and gave us one Christmas. It's a beautiful thing, and works great.

I just found some funny websites for the Vintage Vacuum Cleaner Museum! Some of the pictures are hilarious.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page