Hoover steam vac solution alternitive? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-05-2006, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mama's!

I have a Hoover steam vac and I will be doing the rugs tomorrow morning andI was wondering if there was an alternitive to the solution that would be safe for the vacuum if so what are they I will be going to get the regular solution in the morning then cleaning the rug so if there is something else I would LOVE to buy that instead!

Thanks mama's
Karen and Baby Joe

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#2 of 14 Old 03-05-2006, 03:19 PM

I came directly here to ask the same thing!

The last time we rented a rug dr. I used All free and clear laundry detergent ( little bit, or the suds may run over) and a gazzilion tea tree oil rinses with great results.

Any other suggestions? We need to do the carpets this month before our apt. inspection in April.
#3 of 14 Old 03-05-2006, 05:01 PM

I have a Dirt Devil carpet cleaner that has separate compartments for clean water, dirty water and cleaning solution. I use Dr. Bronner's peppermint in mine. No chemical and it makes the house smell great!
#4 of 14 Old 03-05-2006, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

I have some Dr. B's now how much water do I need to add? mine also has two seperate compartments mmmmm the almond or eucalyptus? both will be yummy! please let me know how mush water I want to get my rugs done ASAP in the morning!! thanks so much!!

Karen and baby Joe

Quote:

#5 of 14 Old 03-06-2006, 12:51 AM

I'm not sure, mine has the compartment for just soap and I put it in full strength.
#6 of 14 Old 03-06-2006, 01:07 AM

I put plain full strength white vinegar in my soap container. My DH was totally skeptical, but it actually does an amazing job--we have two dogs and pale beige carpet and it gets the carpet much cleaner than the soap did, to be honest. One of our dogs has "greasy" fur (only way I can think of to explain it) and our carpets end up grayish where he sleeps. The vinegar gets it all up, and as soon as the carpet dries you can't smell it anymore. I do still rinse the carpet, the same as I did with the soap, because I'm not sure vinegar residue would be great for carpet.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#7 of 14 Old 03-06-2006, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie
I put plain full strength white vinegar in my soap container. My DH was totally skeptical, but it actually does an amazing job--we have two dogs and pale beige carpet and it gets the carpet much cleaner than the soap did, to be honest. One of our dogs has "greasy" fur (only way I can think of to explain it) and our carpets end up grayish where he sleeps. The vinegar gets it all up, and as soon as the carpet dries you can't smell it anymore. I do still rinse the carpet, the same as I did with the soap, because I'm not sure vinegar residue would be great for carpet.
To do the rinse do you just put water in the soap container section and go over it again with tghe plain water? I would really rather use the vinegar I LOVE cleaning with vinegar I feel like things are so much cleaner than with soap or anything else!

thanks!
Karen and baby joe

Quote:

#8 of 14 Old 03-06-2006, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie

I forgot to say my aunts old pup Teddy (I miss that pup he was such a sweetie) He had that "greasy" fur so I knew exactly what you were saying

karen and baby joe

Quote:

#9 of 14 Old 03-06-2006, 12:01 PM

I have a separate compartment for the soap, and I can switch the steamer to "rinse" and then I go over it again with just the plain water. If I didn't have a rinse setting, I'd either empty the soap container or refill it with plain water, like you said.

I agree about it feeling cleaner-- using soap makes me think that there is a residue everywhere when I'm done. Vinegar feels all the way squeakey clean to me, plus I love that it's anti bacterial, since I have no idea what my dogs are tracking in!

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#10 of 14 Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 PM

Theives Household Cleaner!!!
#11 of 14 Old 03-06-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

So I got my rug done and I used the vinegar but then ran out when I was half way done: so I finishe with Dr.B's I feel so much better now that my rug is all nice and clean. Last night I did the couch whenmy BIL brought my cleaner back from his house and there was still some soap left so I used it. but this mornign I hated the fact that there was the chemical cleaner so I went over it with Dr.B's soap and did a rinse. Thanks Mama's for the help!!! We are now all squeaky clean here

Karen and baby Joe

Quote:

#12 of 14 Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 PM

Thanks for posting a followup I didn't even think to try vinegar, I just bought a gallon jug of it today, so I'll give it a shot when the time comes.

ETA: I forgot to mention, is there anything extra I can/should do because my kids like to strip off clothing and dipes, run around naked (running away from me holding a diaper and then I give up) and ah well you see where I'm going with that
#13 of 14 Old 03-07-2006, 12:00 PM

Another vote for vinegar! I've even used just water and it's worked pretty good.
#14 of 14 Old 03-07-2006, 09:09 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page