Mothering Forum banner

Cleaning with vinegar...but how to make it smell better

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  sharememories 
#1 ·
I want to start using natural cleaners, but I'm thinking I don't want my house to smell like vinegar. What can I add to it to make it smell better?

#2 ·
Add orange or lemon EO to it. It actually smells great!

#4 ·
I add a couple of drops each of lemon EO and peppermint EO. Leaves the house smelling fresh after the vinegar smell dissipates.

PS- I bought spray bottles and filled them with EO scented vinegar to use for spraying down the sinks, counters etc... nothing makes chrome faucets and stainless steel sinks shine like vinegar!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CuriousLion
I want to start using natural cleaners, but I'm thinking I don't want my house to smell like vinegar. What can I add to it to make it smell better?
Wait ten minutes and the vinegar smell will be gone, even if you do your floors with it. I, personally, use full strength vinegar in a spray bottle for most of my cleaning. It cuts grease and oil so well and does a wonderful job of deodorizing any surface or area (I even mist it onto mattresses, pillows, couches, carpets to freshen them up). You can definitely add Essential Oils to it, though, which will help.

#8 ·
I have found nothing works for making it smell better. Long after the EO pleasant smell is gone the stink of vinegar still lingers.

I also think it does a lousy job of cleaning. Plain old water does just a good of job.

Now everybody can jump on my case, but oh well that my experience.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by busybusymomma
I've noticed that Heinz vinegar does not stink as bad as most other brands- Heinz is made from grains and many brands are made from petroleum and that is a consideration. It's not "natural" IMO to use a petroleum vinegar to clean the house.
The store brand vinegar at my grocery store is skanky.

Ahhh, that makes more sense. I do take care to purchase grain vinegar, not petroleum. I did not realize there was a difference in scent.

#12 ·
I don't find vinegar alone to be an incredible cleaner, but I take some comfort in knowing it's a pretty incredible disinfectant. Add some tea tree and lavender oils and you've got a pretty effective antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral. Add a bit of castille and it cleans much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.