Is Mineral Oil okay for my face or not?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have very dry skin and have been looking for a natural, inexpensive moisturizer that I can buy at the grocery store. I've been told mineral oil is good, but then I've always heard it clogs pores. Anybody know?
#2 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check out this link on Non-comedogenic oils:

http://www.soapnuts.com/noncomo.html

I would never use mineral oil on any part of my body. I think it is too harsh.

I like to use extra virgin olive oil on my face. I also use castor oil on my body. Cocoa butter is divine on legs right after shaving!

Low Clogging Probability

Almond Oil (Sweet Almond)
Anhydrous Lanolin
Apricot Kernal Oil
Avocado Oil
Beeswax
Candelilla Wax
Castor Oil
Bentonite Clay
Cetearyl Alcohol
Emulsifying Wax NF
Emu Oil
Evening Primrose Oil
Glycerin
Hydroxypropyl Cellulose
Jojoba
Kaolin Clay
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Polysorbate 20 and 80
Safflower Oil
Sesame Oil
Stearic Acid
Sunflower Oil
Tocopherol
Aloe Vera (cold pressed)

Medium Clogging Probability

Corn Oil
Cottonseed Oil
Crisco
Glyceryl Stearate SE
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil
Mink Oil
Soybean Oil
Sulfonated Castor Oil

High Clogging Probability

Cocoa Butter
Coconut Oil
Sodium Chloride (salt)
Wheat Germ Oil
#3 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 02:27 PM

I've seen lots of different articles on this subject. Industrial strength mineral oil can clog your pores, but the stuff used in makeup and baby oils are usually safe, healthy, and are great in locking in moisture.

I have included articles where some groups debunk the myths.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/ar...FER=SKIN&ID=47

Here's an article against mineral oils (by an herbal company):

http://www.herballuxuries.com/mineral-oil.htm

Anyway, this begs a big question I have with what's on the internet. A lot of forums within the Mothering community and other websites always have certain things that are questionable (talc is bad, Sodium laureth sulfate or Sodium Lauryl Sulfates is bad, soaps are bad, blah blah blah). Some have truths to them, some are just urban scares. For example, a lot of people think that SLS's (in shampoos) causes cancer. It's been shown that SLS can cause some skin irritations, but does not cause cancer. But, to the Mothering Communities' credit, do what works for you - if you are happy using products that doesn't contain certain things, then by all means, do so.

Companies of any type can benefit from myths and the truths. Snopes.com is helpful for that. I remember being in bio lab and one of the experiments had a big caution when using water 'PLEASE NOTE: Contact with large amounts of water on skin has caused cancer in laboratory animals.' Water. WATER! Can you believe that? But you know what? If you dunk a rat in water for 24 hours and not let him out, he WILL get cancer.

That being said, sometimes, lab results are extreme cases. I'll get off my soapbox, but my advice is to do your reading and make an educated choice. Sorry I went off - I've seen a lot of good and bad info out there and people fighting over what's right and what's wrong. People fight about their ideas all the time

Anyway. I've personally never had a problem with mineral oils, but you may want to try it. There's other (worse) things that can clog pores.

If you like, I had a post some time ago on natural remedies to cleanse and take care of skin:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=426638

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with the lady above about olive oil. Olive oil is non-comedogenic, and does not clog pores. Actually - I just checked out the link she gave - the list is copied down incorrectly by mistake.

But see, it's little things that can spread bad info, get my point?
#4 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica
Companies of any type can benefit from myths and the truths. Snopes.com is helpful for that. I remember being in bio lab and one of the experiments had a big caution when using water 'PLEASE NOTE: Contact with large amounts of water on skin has caused cancer in laboratory animals.' Water. WATER! Can you believe that? But you know what? If you dunk a rat in water for 24 hours and not let him out, he WILL get cancer.
What kind of water? Regular tap water that contains chlorine, fluoride, etc.?

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#5 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 02:34 PM

I don't think my lab packet articulated, but my point was -- you can get into a big fat hoopla over the most mundane things and people get into a frenzy over it.

It was really retarded for us to wear gloves to do our experiment and putting PLAIN water in our beakers.
#6 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 02:36 PM

Here's the report on mineral oil from the Environmental Working Group http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...ENT&id=1013219

It appears that mineral oil has
Quote:
not [been] assessed for safety by the cosmetic industry's Cosmetics Ingredient Review board

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#7 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 02:53 PM

I wouldn't use mineral oil on ANY part of my body. Food grade motor oil makes me queasy. I use sweet Almond oil for my mixing oil in just about EVERYTHING. I LOVE it!!!!!
#8 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 02:54 PM

I've very oily skin and I've used mineral oil and cocoa butter with disastrous effects--I mean, I would get a really mean breakout, i.e. super clogged pores. What has worked in my experience is plain olive oil or shea butter. The shea butter also helps to clear up scars.

I don't know if mineral oil is bad in general though I think it may be similar to petroleum jelly. We used both very liberally growing up and I never saw any adverse effects except when using it on my face.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#9 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 03:47 PM

Yeah, I definitely think it's a case by case basis what works and what doesn't for people.
#10 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My general attitude is that I try not to use anything on my skin that I wouldn't put in my mouth. Then again, I think I read somewhere about drinking mineral oil to use as a laxative.

I don't buy mineral oil or petroleum jelly, but I also don't completely avoid all products containing them.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#11 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 10:32 PM

My understanding is that mineral oil is pretty much the same as petroleum jelly, so I've always assumed that - aside from it being a petroleum product - it could be as harmful as petroleum jelly.

My house isn't completely free of petroleum products, but I try not to use them on my body.
#12 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 10:46 PM

What's the story behind petroleum jelly/vaseline?
#13 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Still reading intently. Thanks for the responses!

I didn't realize mineral oil was a petroleum product or I never would have considered it.

It's funny, the bottle I bought, is labeled as a lubricant laxative.
#14 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 01:21 AM

Well, here is what I don't understand.

Petroleum is made from organic decayed plant matter. Hard pressed decayed plant matter is coal. Through different manufacturing processes, you can extract what is used as petroleum, industrial oils, diesel, paraffin/mineral oil and whatever else. The proportion used for certain things is completely different for commercial and household use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

For example, household baking soda is non-toxic and okay for body use. The same baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, can be manufactured for commercial purposes, and can have granule sizes so large or a pH so high (as in borax or caustic soda which is slightly different in chemical nature) that it can shoot through any organic matter. Baking soda was used to scour-clean the entire Statue of Liberty in the 80's for Pete's sake. But household baking soda, which has a smaller granule, is safe to use for delicate skin and teeth.

Again - how is Vaseline/petroleum jelly bad?
#15 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

I've always heard that vaseline is a wonderful moisturizer for feet and hands, but I think it might clog pores on your face.
Now, for me personally, using a petroleum industry biproduct isn't in line with the direction I want to head. I'd rather use something plant-based, which is what I assumed mineral oil was.
I'd love to hear other opinions on it, though.
#16 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 09:08 PM

Hi there,

I guess the way I would look at it is maybe more from an environmental standpoint. I wouldn't think that using mineral oil on your skin is bad for you. The reason I think I would maybe stay away from it is because of the dependency on natural resources to make it. I would prefer to stay away from the use of oil based products for this reason. I know that the cost of gasoline, natural gas, etc is going up and I think if we can conserve as much as possible, we are just better off.

We would like to some day live in a home that has a ground source heat pump so that we don't have to rely on natural resources for so much. This house will be a straw bale design for energy conservation and to reduce the need for synthetic materials. It is not much when you look at the use of these products by most other people, but every bit helps.

My husband is an architect and loves green design so I learn a lot through him.

Anyway, getting back to mineral oil, I would prefer just to stay away from any petroleum based products.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#17 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeelise
Hi there,

I guess the way I would look at it is maybe more from an environmental standpoint. I wouldn't think that using mineral oil on your skin is bad for you. The reason I think I would maybe stay away from it is because of the dependency on natural resources to make it. I would prefer to stay away from the use of oil based products for this reason. I know that the cost of gasoline, natural gas, etc is going up and I think if we can conserve as much as possible, we are just better off.

Anyway, getting back to mineral oil, I would prefer just to stay away from any petroleum based products.
:
But now I have a whole bottle to use up.
#18 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 09:20 PM

It's still great for the rest of your body - keeps your skin supple and free from chapping. Go ahead and use up the bottle and don't buy any more then...
#19 of 20 Old 03-30-2006, 03:42 PM

wouldn't supplements be helpful too? cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, etc. wouldn't these end up being more helpful than topical applications?

i have a friend who is asking me about supplements for dry skin and these oil supplements came to my mind first.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#20 of 20 Old 03-30-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
wouldn't supplements be helpful too? cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, etc. wouldn't these end up being more helpful than topical applications?

i have a friend who is asking me about supplements for dry skin and these oil supplements came to my mind first.
Definitely these oils help for dry skin. I started taking CLO for many reasons but I also noticed an improvement in my son's really dry skin (I'm nursing).

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page