No Plastic Wrap, No Aluminum Foil, no baggies..what do you use? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-02-2006, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still declutting in my goal to go natural. I got rid of the plastic wrap and that was easy enough as I didn't use it very often. For the things I did use it for I can just use wax paper with a rubber band. But aluminum foil I use to cover lasagna when baking, etc. What can I use in place of that?

And what do you use for freezing foods in place of freezer bags?

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#2 of 21 Old 04-02-2006, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

subbing

#3 of 21 Old 04-02-2006, 07:17 PM

I store almost everything in mason or recycled(food) glass jars. I freeze portions of soups, casseroles in mason jars as well. As for cooking, most of my glass pans(pyrex) have a glass baking lid that i use to cover the dish with. Instead of using a long rectangular i use the square glass container with a glass lid. So you get more of a small, thick lasanga. lol I don't use any plastic baggies, wrap or anything like that anymore. It used to seem impossible but really it isn't hard at all. When packing sandwiches for the park i do wrap them in wax paper.
#4 of 21 Old 04-02-2006, 07:39 PM

You might also consider investing in a ziploc bag washer. I can't remember what it's called, but someone invented a "baggy wash" thingy that allows you to easily put your ziploc's through the dishwasher cycle. Basically, you can buy one box of ziploc's and never need another box again. I think it was called "Bag-E-Wash" or something like that.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 21 Old 04-02-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68
You might also consider investing in a ziploc bag washer. I can't remember what it's called, but someone invented a "baggy wash" thingy that allows you to easily put your ziploc's through the dishwasher cycle. Basically, you can buy one box of ziploc's and never need another box again. I think it was called "Bag-E-Wash" or something like that.
Now, I heard that there was a problem with doing this as the heat cycle in the dishwasher would begin to affect the plastic and it would leach. I dunno though. Anyone else?

I have never seen glass tops. Where'd you find them? They all seem to come with plastic lids now. Or am I not looking in the right place?
#6 of 21 Old 04-02-2006, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes where DO you find the glass covered pans?

#7 of 21 Old 04-02-2006, 11:01 PM

Meat and fish you can go the old route and use newspaper. Pat the meat dry and wrap in a few sheets of news paper; tie with string or use a rubberband. Then pop it in the freezer. Take the paper off and thaw the frozen meat in a ceramic/glass dish. I do this all the time and have never had a problem.

If you don't get a newspaper, use wax/freezing paper the same way.
#8 of 21 Old 04-03-2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabobbin
Yes where DO you find the glass covered pans?
I have some from Corelle/Corningware. There is an outlet store near my house that has them, but I've seen them at discount stores like Target/WM. Also I see them at garages sales a lot too - usually for cheap!
#9 of 21 Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 AM

Aluminum foil can be washed and recycled. I have reduce how much I use it by having lids (pyrex) but I also wash it off and put it in our can collections.
#10 of 21 Old 04-03-2006, 01:04 AM

:

#11 of 21 Old 04-03-2006, 01:08 AM

I also wouldn't use newspaper. Ink is supposably non-toxic but at one time it was toxic and it also can be very dirty. I purchase freezer paper. We get the non-wax kind bulk 'cuase the kids can draw/paint on it also.
#12 of 21 Old 04-03-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
But aluminum foil I use to cover lasagna when baking, etc. What can I use in place of that?

I use a cookie sheet.
#13 of 21 Old 04-03-2006, 03:31 PM

What about baking potatoes. I've always pierced them, then wrapped them in foil. How do you make them?
#14 of 21 Old 04-03-2006, 06:02 PM

I always just pierce the potato and put it straight on the oven rack. With sweet potatoes I put them in a dish since they sometimes ooze but with white potatoes I just toss them in on their own.

Mom to (5) (9)
#15 of 21 Old 04-04-2006, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama J Rock
What about baking potatoes. I've always pierced them, then wrapped them in foil. How do you make them?
I don't wrap mine in anything--just slather in a little safflower oil and a little salt and pepper on the skin.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#16 of 21 Old 04-04-2006, 04:30 PM

Our natural grocery store sells 100% recycled aluminum foil. I use that ... and then recycle it again.
#17 of 21 Old 04-04-2006, 04:32 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#18 of 21 Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 PM

I use the corningware with glass lids for casseroles ect. If I need to use my big glass pyrex with no lid, I do the baking sheet (non-aluminum - stainless steel) on top as a lid. I use the Pyrex glass (with plastic lids) for leftover storage or carrying food to work. Recycling plastic bags or aluminum foil is great for the planet but not exactly non-toxic - so we are gradually moving away from those options and trying to find the replacements.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#19 of 21 Old 04-04-2006, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

That's an awesome idea about putting a cookie sheet over a baking dish! I don't have any cookie sheets, I use my Pampered Chef round stone for everything cookie/pizza wise...do you think that would work?

What do you use for those odd sized items that would usually be wrapped up? Every Friday night is homemade pizza night. I usually put the leftovers in a baggie or wrapped in aluminum foil as I don't have a bowl big enough for them.

#20 of 21 Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 PM

:

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#21 of 21 Old 04-04-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Every Friday night is homemade pizza night. I usually put the leftovers in a baggie or wrapped in aluminum foil as I don't have a bowl big enough for them.

Try putting leftovers on a plate and then put another plate on upside down.

I always do stuff like this because I'm so poor: Nescessity is the mother of invention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page