can I use tea tree oil to sanitize bath toys? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-22-2003, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds's bath toys are looking grimy, cloudy, even a bit mildewy (and don't get me started on the mesh bag that holds them---eww!). I don't want to bleach them because I don't want to risk exposing him to the harsh chemicals, but I do want to curb any mold growth and really clean them well. I thought about filling the tub, adding some tea tree oil and then letting them soak for a good long time. But how much oil to use? And will it be effective enough? What else might I try?

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 02-22-2003, 06:58 PM

Tea tree oil is toxic if ingested, even in small quantities. I wouldn't use it on bath toys that might eventually go in the mouth.

Even with bleach, you can't really get in and clean the mildewy goo out of the inside of the toy, through those little holes.

I threw away all of our bath toys and mesh bag that got mildewy. It was too gross and too much trouble. Now I only get bath toys that don't hold water, that are easy to wipe off on the outside. I put the toys in a used plastic yogurt container and replace it with a new one periodically. To tell the truth, plastic kitchen containers (and funnels, spoons, etc...) that can go in a dishwasher (for sanitizing) make great bath toys.
#3 of 8 Old 02-22-2003, 10:37 PM

leafylady: I'd like to know where you saw that tea tree oil is toxic...
I have two books about medical herbs and both prescribe tea tree oil for internal use exept for one kind which is to use internaly only under medical supervision (they say that Melaleuca Alterniflora and Melaleuca Quinquinervia are ok but Melaleuca Leucadendron need supervision)
As I use those books to take care of minor injuries and deseases, I would really like to know if my knowledge is up to date

Valérie   
#4 of 8 Old 02-22-2003, 11:06 PM

I couldn't remember. I looked it up and may have misinterpreted what I read in the first place. In "The Green Pharmacy" by James Duke, he writes "Just don't take teatree oil, or any essential oils, internally. They are extremely concentrated, and even small quantities of many of them can be poisonous."
So it sounds like he is talking about essential oils in general and not just tea tree oil.
If I find info any where else I'll post it. Thanks for getting me to look it up. I wouldn't want to sound like an expert by any means.
#5 of 8 Old 02-22-2003, 11:11 PM

I have no advice for your bath toys, sorry (I use bleach and wash and rinse three times after, but I have a bath defecator and feel the need). I just wanted to pipe up in regard to the tea tree oil. I use it to gargle with whenever I have a sore throat as recommended by a friend who is quite knowledgeable about that sort of thing.

Peace
#6 of 8 Old 02-22-2003, 11:18 PM

I found a link to more research than I want to sift through. I thought I might as well pass it on.
http://www.meddent.uwa.edu.au/teatree/

#7 of 8 Old 02-26-2003, 02:44 AM

I am no expert on the subject, but I also have heard that tea tree oil is very toxic if ingested even in small amounts (especially for a child). A while back, I did a google search on tea tree oil toxicity (I can't remember if those were the exact words I used) and it gave me several websites. I came to the conclusion that is not something that I would want to keep around where ds could possibly get into it (even if it were dilutrd in water). I would still use it to clean my bathrooms and stuff, but treat it as a toxic substance (keep out of reach of children).
#8 of 8 Old 02-26-2003, 03:18 AM

www.coldstream-plantation.com.au/material.html

then scroll down to where it talks about toxicity.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page