Are there non-toxic contact lens solutions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2006, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't use any chemicals in our house, expect for my husband's contact lens solution (hello, how did this get by me until now!).....but after reading the MSN article today about recalls on the ReNu brand, I thought posting here might provide some answers on whether there are any non-toxic cleaning options for contact lenses?

Thanks for any ideas!
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-13-2006, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been wondering the same thing

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 5 Old 04-13-2006, 01:53 AM

I use Unique PH. It's sold at Target and at the optometrist's. It is a multi-purpose solution. It feels the best out of all the solutions, including multi-purpose ones. I tried Renu and one brand name I can't remember. I also thought I could save money using saline for soft lenses! I prefer multi-purpose solutions because Boston is so expensive -- I have gas permeable contacts. For gas perms there aren't a lot of brands available.
If you have trouble finding it, it's made by Alcon.
#4 of 5 Old 04-14-2006, 05:03 PM

I use Costco's Kirkland solution. I know many of them say "thimerosal free" which makes me wonder if some of the solutions still contain thimerosal, or whether they just did in the past??

I know at one time thimerosal was used in a lot of topical creams, etc. so hopefully it was only in the past.

I don't know how great Kirkland's solution from a health standpoint (I'm pretty picky about my products but haven't had time to look into contact solutoin yet) but at least it is clearly labeled thimerosal-free.
#5 of 5 Old 04-14-2006, 07:04 PM

More than 20 years ago, my optometrist gave me these little salt pills and a small bottle. I mixed up my own saline every morning - one pill in the little bottle, and fill with distilled water. No preservatives of any kind. I dumped the excess every night.

Do they still offer this? I haven't worn contacts in many years, so I don't know. But looking back on it, that was a surprisingly natural-thinking optometrist, and probably way ahead of his time.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page