Natural cleaner for flat top stove? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh... I really don't like my flat top stove- but I'm stuck with it. Any suggestions for a natural cleaner for the stove top.

Thanks, SUsan
#2 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 10:54 AM

The flat top stoves are very sensitive to abrasives and cannot have certain chemicals. You may need to contact the manufacturer and get approved cleaners for your stovetop.

Upon getting the list, check out what comprises those cleaners. See if they are pH neutral, basic, acidic, liquid, creamy, etc.

You can then check out the websites and see what is in them. You can probably make a natural version or knock off based off that.

I wouldn't use anything natural on it until you know what is safe for the surface. Natural tends to lean toward essential oils, baking soda and vinegar, and until you know what's going to ruin the surface, don't do it!
#3 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 11:08 AM

Still working on this...trying to find the recommended cleaners for the ceramic stove tops and working backward.

http://products.geappliances.com/App.../r03407v-1.pdf

http://www.epinions.com/Cerama_Bryte...ay_~full_specs

http://www.us.schott.com/hometech/en..._agent_us.html

http://www.epinions.com/content_150777138820

http://www.ceramabryte.com/cleaningHints.asp

Looks like it has citric acid in this cleaner - you can probably use Orange essential oil then. The websites recommend using a stove scraper for big particles. You can find CeramaBryte at Home Depot and Lowe's but there is not a list of ingredients.

Still looking...
#4 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 11:32 AM

Okay, found some more stuff:

http://lancaster.unl.edu/home/Articl...ngSurfaces.htm

http://www.dealagogo.com/showthread.php?t=6883

It looks like you can't use ammonia or other cleaners like that. Some people actually use regular toothpaste!

With that in mind, I would get a scraper for yourself - you can probably buy a metal or plastic stripping tool for 50 cents at the hardware store.

You can make a VERY watery solution of dishwashing liquid and some baking soda. For grease cutting power, add some orange essential oil.

See if that helps.
#5 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xillini
Ugh... I really don't like my flat top stove- but I'm stuck with it. Any suggestions for a natural cleaner for the stove top.

Thanks, SUsan
Kind of off topic: Why do you hate it? We're buying a house, and DH fell in love with the flat top electric stove the current owners have. So much so, that he negotiated to have them leave it for us! I'm just wondering if that was a mistake?

And since I'm about to own one of those stoves, I guess I need to find natural cleaners too.. I had no idea you had to be picky with what you cleaned it with. Timely thread for me!
#6 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 12:24 PM

I dislike our flat top stove too--it's much harder to keep clean. I've just used baking soda and vinegar, and it seems to work okay. Sometimes leaving a paste of water and baking soda on the spots for a little while helps a bit with getting some of the gunk off.
#7 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 12:30 PM

We bought one of these stoves, and my only beef with it is cleaning. My partner is the cook in the house and the stove is 'his' domain, so we have been cleaning it with the 'approved' cleaner. He is on-board with natural stuff, but we paid big bucks for this stove, yk? He is paranoid about screwing it up.

But... I'm going to share this thread with him and see if we can find a solution. Thank you for doing all that research, Spastica!
#8 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 01:16 PM

We have a flat cooktop. I was so tired of buying the pricey cleaner and its not veyr natural. What i do is spray it with water & vinegar and then sprinkle very lightly with borax. Borax is such a mild abrasive that it doesn't harm your cooktop. I know you aren't supposed to use anything that could scratch your cooktop. One thing i hate cleaning is our cooktop, that used to be my dh's job. I could never get it clean. Now i don't even need to use a scraper. It comes out sparkling clean each time.
#9 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
With tongue firmly in cheek, what do y'all cook on your stoves that is so hard to clean off??!!

We have a flat top stove and I love it because it IS so easy to keep clean. Besides cooking on it, I use it to roll-out bread and cookie doughs because of the cleaning ease.

I hate the old electric "coil" burner-type stoves and won't have gas.

I have never had a problem with cleaning it (I do use the recommended commercial cleanser) and it still looks as good as new (it's 10 year old).
#10 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 02:43 PM

I agree with PP. Flat top stoves are THE EASIEST to keep clean.

Electric stove tops with the drip pans are a nightmare to clean, and gas stove tops are just as disgusting.

For those who think the flat tops are tough, what did you use to use previously that was easier? I find that it really helps to make sure you wipe any spills BEFORE they get hard and crusty. Then you just need to do a deeper clean every couple of weeks.

I use baking soda and water and a very soft (plastic) scourer. Once that is rinsed off and dried, you'll notice a film of white stuff (BS residue). I then take a cloth and wet it with some vinegar and wipe down the top and you're done.
#11 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=grahamsmom98]With tongue firmly in cheek, what do y'all cook on your stoves that is so hard to clean off??!!

Its not tough i just have never liked cleaning the stove. lol I do love how easy it is to wipe it down. When something boils over that is when i have issues cleaning the burnt junk. We have very hard water, so if water splatters its a pain to clean. It is alot easier to clean a flat top compared to coil burners. I will never buy one of those unless its a gas one.
#12 of 14 Old 04-14-2006, 04:58 PM

I find it challenging to keep clean because the burners themselves need to be cleaned just about every time they're used. Is everyone else's stovetop like that, or is it our pans or something? The burners get brown stains on them that don't come off with just a swipe of the sponge, they need to be scrubbed off with the cleaner (well, now we'll try one of the more natural suggestions from this thread ). And if something like, oh... spaghetti sauce splatters onto the burner, I have to scrape it off with a razor blade (the manual that came with our stove recommended a razor blade...)
#13 of 14 Old 04-15-2006, 08:19 AM

I, too, am challenged with the brown stains. I think those happen when the bottom of the pot is not completely dry or stuff boils over.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#14 of 14 Old 04-17-2006, 07:04 PM

:

Good info. We are also moving into a new house in a few months. We have the option of running a gas line to the kitchen and go with a gas stove. Or leave it electric and get a flat top.

We have gas now and I also get that brown burnt crud when stuff boils over. It is very hard to clean.

Another question. The gas flame always makes me super nervous when the kids are near, or at the stove. Their at the age when they could be helping, but mom is to nervous they will get their shirt in the flame!

I'm thinking flat top so maybe I can let them cook more. Still burn and safety issues, but it seems safer.

Any thoughts???

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page