Honey for Burn Healing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-04-2006, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read so much wise wisdom on Mothering that I felt I had to share my experience...

I've recently burned myself 2x, first on my forearm and then on the part of my hand near the webbing by my thumb (ouch! ), 1) by water & 2) by hot oil, respectively. I've read about the healing properties of honey, & I'm a curious sort. These burns are 1 day apart. I used breastmilk and aloe on the water burn, and honey on the oil burn (it was worse. ) Well after 3 days, the honey burn is ugly but soft, and the water burn (with aloe gel and breastmilk) is dry & scaly. Tonite, I've decided to apply honey to both burns as I don't want scarring (I read that honey can prevent scarring.)

Now I've only applied honey at bedtime as I WOH fulltime and we don't have gauze at home. I use old rags or washcloths wrapped in an acme bandage to hold the rag/ washcloth in place. I tried the breastmilk on the water burn out of desparation -- I was at a wedding shower and had run the burn under lukewarm and cold water but it still hurt. So remembering the wonders of breastmilk, gave it a shot. Pain ceased immediately. After, I thought of trying the mini-experiment. The honey also ceased any pain I felt.

Now I do know that there are grades of honey and that the manuka honey (from australia) is the highest in terms of medical use. I used my local, farmer's market buckwheat honey. Even dh (a skeptic of my natural remedies) commented on how different these burns were healing.

I've also heard of the use of honey in tooth decay.

I'm becoming a very big proponent of honey.

Just thought I'd share and am curious to hear of any other similar experiences.
#2 of 6 Old 05-04-2006, 03:15 PM

I actually found (don't know where it is now) a medical study talking about using honey for healing burns, and it was really impressive! Apparently it's thousands of years old. I haven't used it for burns myself, but did find "Really Raw Honey" to add to my prenatal herbal tea for nutritional supplement AND sweetness (I really hate the herbal stuff).
#3 of 6 Old 05-25-2006, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update, now that the burns have healed....

both healed great! My water burn has no scar, my oil burn has some slight darker coloring and sensitive skin. My thoughts are that as time progresses this will continue to heal. I'm no longer applying any kind of treatment to my hand and that may have an effect on this outcome.

However, except for that slight discoloration, you wouldn't be able to tell that I had burned my left hand. Most of the skin flaked off, but this was easily controlled with the proper moisturizer (I have both a honey and a lavender based moisturizer.)

All in all, especially after talking with another customer and my local honey vendor, I'll be using using raw honey in a medical capacity from now on. This burn healed perfectly (I'm in a wedding in the next week, so appearance is important to me), and there were no side effects. In fact, the honey decreased my pain and it's antibacterial properties were just what was needed for my burn. I've also heard of its use in simple cuts as well, which I plan to use with my kids this summer.
#4 of 6 Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 AM

Interesting!

Our dr told us to use traumeel on the closed part of a burn and honey, as an antibacterial, on the open part.

Very cool that you were able to compare. Honey is amazing but I wonder, too, about the different grades.
#5 of 6 Old 05-25-2006, 03:57 AM

I've heard fresh aloe was the best for burns. I'm lucky enough that I've never had a chance to test it myself though.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#6 of 6 Old 05-25-2006, 11:14 AM

thats awesome you could compare the healing! I just read an article on honey used for burns. Interesting stuff! My 5 y/o ds tells people that honey is good for burns, its too cute! Aloe does work good too

Quote:
In addition to being a marvelous food—a veritable storehouse of B vitamins, various minerals, and antioxidants—honey is one of the oldest known medicines in continuous use. Dr.*May Berenbaum, an entomologist with the University of Illinois, comments: “Honey has been used for centuries to treat a wide range of medical problems like wounds, burns, cataracts, skin ulcers and scrapes.” the CNN news organization reports: “Honey fell from favor as a wound dressing when antibiotic dressings were developed during World War II. But the new research—and the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria—are putting this old-time folk remedy into the contemporary medicine chest.” For example, one area of research has involved the treatment of burns. It was noted that patients had a faster healing time and less pain and scarring when honey dressings were used.

Studies show that because of an enzyme added to the nectar by the bees, honey has mild antibacterial and antibiotic properties. This enzyme generates hydrogen peroxide, which kills harmful bacteria. Additionally, applied topically, honey has been found to reduce inflammation and to promote the growth of healthy tissue. Thus, New Zealand biochemist Dr. Peter Molan says: “Honey is becoming accepted as a reputable and effective therapeutic agent by practitioners of conventional medicine.” In fact, the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration has approved honey as a medicine, and medical honey is being marketed as a wound dressing in that country. Since the enzyme is destroyed by heating and exposure to light, unpasteurized honey is used for medicinal purposes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page