Mr. Clean Magic Eraser- safe? natural? - Mothering Forums
Natural Body Care > Mr. Clean Magic Eraser- safe? natural?
mom2e's Avatar mom2e 12:15 AM 05-13-2006
Any thoughts on this? I thought it was wonderful when I first got it, thinking it was chemical free. But then I realized it disintegrates after a lot of use which left me wondering what the heck is in it and is it safe. Anyone know?

CarrieMF's Avatar CarrieMF 01:06 AM 05-13-2006
It is full of chemicals.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=16003386

Personally I won't touch it.
lovebug's Avatar lovebug 01:09 AM 05-13-2006
WOW
Amylcd's Avatar Amylcd 01:11 AM 05-13-2006
I used it once, and it actually took some of the skin off my finger! It's definitely full of chemicals.
firstkid4me's Avatar firstkid4me 01:13 AM 05-13-2006
They don't work very well either.
Maple Leaf Mama's Avatar Maple Leaf Mama 11:08 AM 05-13-2006
I think it works very well....but it has formaldehyde in it.
One of our news national anchors (in Canada) got breast Cancer last year. She also does an investigative shows and the Cancer industry (those that cause and those that try to cure through drugs) was one of her latest. She talked to people (like the IWG type people) that told her about all the carcinogens in everyday products. (like laundry soap, meat etc)
One of the things she threw at the Health Canada rep who she was grilling was: WHY is there a product on Canadian shelves--marketed at young families that contains known cancer causing ingredients in it???

The woman looked like a deer. She just stuttered an answer and said she would look into it.
Ya, thanks for looking out for us, Health Canada-Job well done... Dumbasses!
http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...rs/index2.html
Trishy's Avatar Trishy 11:58 AM 05-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Mama
I think it works very well....but it has formaldehyde in it.
This is not accurate.

Quote:
Formaldehyde is not and has never been an ingredient in Magic Eraser. One ingredient in Magic Eraser (formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer) contains the word "formaldehyde" in its chemical name. However, this ingredient is not formaldehyde and poses no health or safety risks. (Think of this name like "sodium chloride", which is table salt. Sodium by itself can be dangerous, but sodium chloride - salt - is safe.).
Quote:
t is possible that formaldehyde may be present in minute, trace amounts as a result of the manufacturing process. Even then, the amount present is significantly lower than standards established by governmental agencies and trade associations, and is actually less than what is found in indoor air.
http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/...th/index.shtml

I don't feel like this is a natural product that we should feel good about cleaning our homes with but I do not want to see misinformation being spread.
CarrieMF's Avatar CarrieMF 01:06 PM 05-13-2006
Quote:
t is possible that formaldehyde may be present in minute, trace amounts as a result of the manufacturing process. Even then, the amount present is significantly lower than standards established by governmental agencies and trade associations, and is actually less than what is found in indoor air.
kinda like the traces of mercury in vaccines is safe
frogguruami's Avatar frogguruami 02:38 PM 05-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
It is full of chemicals.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=16003386

Personally I won't touch it.

NOOOOO, Your killing me. Here is was thinking I was doing good only using that as my cleaner. The thing works GREAT on EVERYTHING. Oh well, better to be informed. Now I most be off to find a replacement.

There is a sponge at Home Depot that looked like it was similar but didn't break down. I have been thinking about trying it. When I do I will report back and let everyone know hwo it is.
Spastica's Avatar Spastica 02:52 PM 05-15-2006
I think the eraser things are more like an abrasive than mostly chemicals. That's why your finger got chafed!

I'm sure it has some chemicals too - it seems to be made of some sort of cellulose/abrasive.
EnviroBecca's Avatar EnviroBecca 04:29 PM 05-15-2006
My understanding is that it's just a sponge made from a weirdly grippy plastic. It doesn't have any soap or solvent or anything in the sponge. The plastic itself could be harmful if you ingest it, and (as these sites warn) it is dangerous to eat or inhale a sponge in any case. That doesn't mean that it is giving off vapors or leaving chemicals on the surfaces you clean.

Quote:
it disintegrates after a lot of use
So does an ordinary sponge.

About CarrieMF's link: Just because there's a bunch of information there doesn't mean the product is dangerous. Notice that the only hazards listed are from eating the sponge, grinding it into dust that you inhale, or getting particles into your skin if you happen to be sensitive to it. Notice that it received a hazard score of 0 in every category except flammability, where it received a 1. I bet it's less flammable than a cotton dishcloth.

Quote:
kinda like the traces of mercury in vaccines is safe
No, when mercury is used in vaccines it's a preservative that is left in there. This is more like the possibility that the broken tip of a sewing needle is lodged in your cloth diaper. Formaldehyde is used in making the sponge but is not supposed to be present in the finished product, like pointy metal needles are used to make diapers but are not supposed to be present in the finished product--but accidents can happen.

I'm not concerned about the Magic Sponge being directly harmful in normal use; I'm concerned that it's nasty to manufacture, it's not biodegradable, and it's expensive. It works in situations where nothing else does, so those are the only situations in which I use it. I still have the same 2-pack I bought 4 years ago. I wouldn't recommend it for everyday cleaning.
Spastica's Avatar Spastica 05:33 PM 05-15-2006
YAY Envirobecca!

Though I respect the thoughts and decisions of the people who come to these forums, I think sometimes people get carried away with what's true and not true and misrepresent chemical information (especially since none of us are that great at chemistry, lol).

Just to make a point -- If you look hard enough, you'll find research on how vinegar and baking soda is harmful to the body -- so it just depends on what you're reading.

I ain't giving up baking soda and vinegar for nothin'....
Spastica's Avatar Spastica 05:45 PM 05-15-2006
Btw - I just looked at the link that somebody posted on this - are we reading the same thing? what is it that's making you say "WOW, it's so bad?"

The entire report says it's pretty much non-toxic except if ingested. It's the same reason why dogs can't eat certain rawhides - it will block their intestines and so will this spongy thing.

And yeah, it's a copolymer, which means it's some sort of celluloselike plastic that scrubs. Kind of like hard foam. With water and abrasion, it gets smaller. As for dust - anything that isn't used with water that makes dust is hazardous to your lungs. The eraser scrub is usually used with some water.

Shrug.

Acute Health Effects: From MSDS: HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic): This product is considered to be non-toxic
Ingestion: Blockage of the gastrointestinal tract may occur if swallowed.
Eye Contact: N/A
Skin: N/A
Inhalation: N/A
Signs and Symptoms of Exposure:
Ingestion: May cause irritation and/or blockage of the gastrointestinal track.
Eye Contact: Dust from foam may cause mechanical irritation.
Skin: Dust from foam may cause mechanical irritation.
Inhalation: Dust from foam may cause irritation of the respiratory track.
Chronic Health Effects: MSDS: HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic): This product is considered to be non-toxic
Ingestion: Blockage of the gastrointestinal tract may occur if swallowed.
Eye Contact: N/A
Skin: N/A
Inhalation: N/A
Signs and Symptoms of Exposure:
Ingestion: May cause irritation and/or blockage of the gastrointestinal track.
Eye Contact: Dust from foam may cause mechanical irritation.
Skin: Dust from foam may cause mechanical irritation.
Inhalation: Dust from foam may cause irritation of the respiratory track.
Carcinogenicity: MSDS: Hazardous Ingredients as defined by OSHA, 29 CFR 1910.1200., and/or WHMIS under the HPA:
First Aid: FIRST AID
Emergency and First Aid Procedures:
Ingestion: If the sponge is ingested, contact a physician or veterinarian immediately. Intestinal blockage may be life threatening to some household pets.
Eye Contact: In case of eye irritation, flush thoroughly with water for 15 minutes. If irritation persists, seek medical advice.
Skin: In case of skin irritation, flush affected area thoroughly with water and apply a cold compress. If irritation persists, seek medical advice.
Inhalation: If respiratory irritation occurs, move from the site of exposure to an area with fresh air. If irritation persists, seek medical advice.
Other: Consumer product packages have a caution statement: Keep out of reach of toddlers and pets to avoid accidental ingestion.
Health Rating: 0
Flammability Rating: 1
Reactivity Rating: 0
HMIS Rating Scale: 0 = Minimal; 1 = Slight; 2 = Moderate; 3 = Serious; 4 = Severe;

N = No information provided by manufacturer; * = Chronic Health Hazard
MSDS Date: 2003-03-05
julesinottawa's Avatar julesinottawa 12:53 AM 05-16-2006
I'm glad to see this thread. I don't use them everyday (or even close) but I have not found anything better to remove crayon and marker off floors, walls, tables etc. I was always wondering what made them work so well. I think I'll keep them on hand for those nasty messes and stick to my routine. I'm glad they aren't really terrible!
mamanurse's Avatar mamanurse 01:33 AM 05-16-2006
I love the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, but only use it about once every six months. I also use gloves just in case there are chemicals I should be worrying about. I definitely don't consider this product a NFL.
BabyBumblebee's Avatar BabyBumblebee 10:58 AM 05-16-2006
I'm very grateful for this thread, as dh and I were just speculating about the safety/otherwise of the Magic Eraser. I actually have the original 2 pack that I bought when they first came out, and although they don't replace my regular cleaning products (BS, vinegar, dishsoap) I have found them really useful for cleaning up some garage sale finds....looking at the site, I would still feel comfortable using it occassionally as I do now.
Up