ugh...bug sprays make me sick - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-31-2006, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I am at my wits end with bug spray. The mosquitos are insane this year and DS is a magnet for them. I covered him in Burt's Bees yesterday and he got SEVEN mosquito bites!!

The Bite Blocker & Buzz Away work, but the smell literally makes me ill.

I've heard that Natapel smells ok, but I've also heard it stinks.

I've spent a fortune in bug spray and still haven't found one that I can tolerate the smell of that actually works.

Hate the idea of keeping my kiddo in all summer.....
#2 of 13 Old 05-31-2006, 08:53 PM

you are going to think i'm crazy but here goes: not too long ago i read a book but william dufty called Sugar Blues. he says in it that if you stop eating sugar altogether, the bugs just wont be interested in you. if you eat sugar you secrete it and the buggies loooove it. itneresting theory which makes sense to me. i have yet to try it, though i am moving towards that goal. good luck!

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

#3 of 13 Old 06-01-2006, 01:46 AM

I've heard good things about Aubrey Organics.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#4 of 13 Old 06-01-2006, 04:18 PM

subbing to the thread.

We don't have so many mosquitos as some other bugs that sneak up on us and get us along our necklines. They draw blood and leave big hard lumps. They itch. But yet I really don't think it's mosquitos b/c I haven't seen any and it's always along the hairline of the neck.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#5 of 13 Old 06-01-2006, 04:38 PM

We have the same problem, they look like little gnats and are more bothersome than misquitos. They expecially seem to love my two year old and it's always at the neck line or behind the ears. I also hate bug spray and hate to use it. Last year I found a recipe for a bug repelant cream. It is a little greasy but it smells good and seems to do the job. I used an essential oil blend that I ordered from Majestic Mountain Sage. It was called Insects Be Gone or Bug Off - something like that. Other ingredients were olive oil, cocoa butter, and beeswax. I can't really remember if there was anything else but I could probably find the recipe if interested.
#6 of 13 Old 06-01-2006, 05:11 PM

Ok, I found my essential oils. It wasn't from Majestic Mountain Sage but instead from A Garden Eastward. I've ordered from too many places to keep them straight It is called Bug Buster.
#7 of 13 Old 06-01-2006, 06:48 PM

What about Avon's skin so soft? Does anyone know if that really works?
#8 of 13 Old 06-01-2006, 10:17 PM

The Avon Skin so soft really does work - it's not as strong as commercial bug repellents, but it works to a degree. We take it to India and it works quite a bit.

Perhaps putting some in a spray bottle would be good.

I was thinking of making my mom a spray bottle with:

- Avon Skin So Soft
- Lavender
- Cedarleaf oil
- Some Tea Tree Oil

All of those oils are bug repellents.

Here's some info on Avon's Skin So Soft - (it's DEET free!):

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...RODUCT&id=2372

NOTE: If you scroll down, you'll see that it has a few chemicals of moderate concern -- the rest are of low concern. Then again, one of the ingredients listed as 'moderate concern' is TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, which is Vitamin E in layman's terms. I don't have a problem with Vitamin E. The only reason Vitamin E can be a concern is because a few people can have skin allergies to it (it's rare though).

Ingredients: (from retailer or packaging) water; mineral oil; dimethicone; steareth-2; ppg-4 myristyl ether propionate; simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil; amaranthus caudatus seed extract; saccharomyces lysate extract; tocopheryl acetate; retinyl palmitate; butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) extract; fragrance; glycerin; disodium edta; dimethicone crosspolymer; carbomer; acrylates copolymer; dicapryl adipate; isopropyl palmitate; imidazolidinyl urea; diazolidinyl urea; methylparaben; propylparaben; cyclopentasiloxane; ppg-15 stearyl ether; isoceteth-20; potassium hydroxide

http://home.earthlink.net/~radollish/id22.html

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/home/...has_many_uses/

http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/h...ecticides.html

http://www.avoncompany.com/brands/bathbody.html
#9 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 01:16 PM

I haven't tried this (don't have a buggy problem of this sort), but here is a bug repellent that contains "pure plant blend of essential oils of Lavender, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus, Rose geranium, and Peppermint TFF in a moisturizing canola oil base. DEET-free!" It's from Daybreak Lavender Farm
#10 of 13 Old 06-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Last summer I picked up a bottle of Pugsley's Choice Bug-Off Flea and Tick Repellent, primarily to use on the kitten. The lady running the stall (at the agricultural fair where I bought it) said that it works on humans too. I love the stuff. There's no webpage listed on the bottle unfortunately, but the phone number on it is 800/677-1187. It has a faintly citrusy smell from the tangerine oil in it.
#11 of 13 Old 06-08-2006, 02:59 PM

I just received Bug Off from Moon Dance Soaps today. I haven't used it because it's been raining for the last 9 of 10 days here but I HAVE used their Baby Bug Off when my kids were younger and really liked it. This time I didn't get the baby version but I got the kit which includes a soap and a lotion bar which I am excited to try.

While I was waiting for it to arrive in the mail, I used Natrapel which worked pretty well but did smell strongly of citronella.
#12 of 13 Old 06-08-2006, 04:15 PM

we use a bugbalm by a local lady at the farmer's market

www.brunswickbeeworks.com

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#13 of 13 Old 06-08-2006, 05:27 PM

I don't remeber where I read it but I was reading that cat nip actually works for bugs. I don't know how it smells but it might be worth it. The link is http://teas-herbals.com/catnip_spray.htm. There is also a sight that gives some recepies for making you own bug srays. That sight is http://www.taoherbfarm.com/herbs/resources/bugspray.htm. Let me know what you do. The bugs are not bad yet but I think they will be. I did smell those named sprays and they do stink so I need another alternative that works and does not smell.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page