TSP in Cheerios? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-07-2003, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know about trisodium phosphate (tsp), a friend pointed out that it is even regular cheerio's amoung others. What is it? )Is it really the same stuff I use to clean mold off my house??) What is it for? Is it safe? What are the alternatives in other products??

Jen

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#2 of 8 Old 03-07-2003, 03:32 PM

I just looked it up for you. There is a different grade of it in food than in cleaning products, from what I can see.
Here is one chemical solution for it - Na3PO4.12H20
I forget from chemistry class what that all means, any nurses out there?
#3 of 8 Old 03-07-2003, 03:36 PM

http://www.khck.net/chemical63.htm
Here is a link for you. It is just used to improve food, whatever that means.
#4 of 8 Old 03-07-2003, 03:56 PM

Ok, so you made me curious. I did some further research. At first I started to get nervous, thinking about what the stuff was. It is a bactericide in food and dairy.http://ntp-server.niehs.nih.gov/htdo...C/10061-K.html It is supposed to kill salmonella, and other bacteria, but to tell the truth, I think there is no need for it in cereal. It is also used in some toothpastes and denture cleaners. It is apparently used in water treatments also.http://www.brenntag.be/prd/product/t...osfaaten.shtml at the bottom of the page it says something about water treatment. I think I would like to do some more research into this stuff....this is very interesting.
#5 of 8 Old 03-07-2003, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I did look at Brentagg's site too. I was hoping someone would actually know about tsp in food, i.e., is it bad for you and/or is it better than some alternative (like if they didn't put it in would they have to put in something worse to kill bacteria). If you'd like to do some more research I would LOVE to see it!!! Maybe we could e-mail the manufacturers of Cheerios to hear wha they have to say?? I'm not sure if it has always been in Cheerios, but I did notice it on the label of some canned tuna at the store this week (I chose to buy a different brand). Cheerios are still in my cupboard....

Jen

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#6 of 8 Old 03-08-2003, 01:42 AM

I read on this board in the past that the tsp is what makes the Cheerios float even when soggy.
#7 of 8 Old 03-08-2003, 06:39 PM

I've looked this topic up a couple of times, and General Mills has decided to keep it in their product, because they say its in such a low amount it cannot harm you, but why would they even put it in there? I believe there are Organic o's or something similar that you can eat which is a lot healthier. I just don't eat their products anymore.
From my understanding, its whats used to make tires, and used as a wall paint stripper. UMM something I dont want to eat. Definitley!

Valerie

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#8 of 8 Old 03-08-2003, 07:26 PM

You cvan get Orangatang O's at the health food store. They are TSP free and yummy...they taste more like honey nut cheerios than regular though...

I am working on my "if I dont know what the heck it is I dont want to eat it" rule...

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page