dry dry dry flakey face and scalp HELP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-13-2006, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have tried so much crap, so many creams. right now I use some scalp care stuff from the health food shop but I am still dandruffy and I am using just water on my face and some skin calming face cream from aveeno on my face and it is blotchy and red and flakey, the skin actually hurts in places.

I am at the end of the rope with the skin on my face and scalp, everywhere else on my body the skin is fine.

I have tried OCM and it was good for about a week and a half and then over two days all my problems returned again. I am just at a loss.

any suggestions for a face and scalp in distress?
#2 of 12 Old 06-13-2006, 01:22 PM

:
I have this problem too. For awhile it was alright when I was putting oil on my face, just a tad morning an dnight. But it hasn't done anything for my scalp and it makes my hair oily. Scrubbing with sugar worked a little also. But again, can't scrub my scalp with sugar. I do have a boars bristle brush and try to kinda scrub my scalp with that. I have heard that this type of skin problem can be related to a dairy allergy type of thing. So I am seriously considering getting all the dairy out of our house. But I think my husband would freak, and he also has the flaky skin, worse than me. But trying to convince someone who worked on a dairy farm that it might be bad...
#3 of 12 Old 06-13-2006, 01:39 PM

Try this for scalp: http://www.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/f...ml?mv_arg=2475 I use it on my youngest ds and it really helps!

For face you might try my fave night cream : http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/2...Skincare:upd=y
#4 of 12 Old 06-13-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnJW
:
I have this problem too. For awhile it was alright when I was putting oil on my face, just a tad morning an dnight. But it hasn't done anything for my scalp and it makes my hair oily. Scrubbing with sugar worked a little also. But again, can't scrub my scalp with sugar. I do have a boars bristle brush and try to kinda scrub my scalp with that. I have heard that this type of skin problem can be related to a dairy allergy type of thing. So I am seriously considering getting all the dairy out of our house. But I think my husband would freak, and he also has the flaky skin, worse than me. But trying to convince someone who worked on a dairy farm that it might be bad...
NOWAY! I eat alot of yogurt. maybe I should try, I'd have to get some nice almond milk for my tea or something. I used to get an upset tummy from milk. weird. I'm going to try!!
#5 of 12 Old 06-13-2006, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysmom
Try this for scalp: http://www.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/f...ml?mv_arg=2475 I use it on my youngest ds and it really helps!

For face you might try my fave night cream : http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/2...Skincare:upd=y
mmmm.....there is a lush not too far from me at all and my borthday is coming up! I will definitely try those thanks!
#6 of 12 Old 06-13-2006, 02:24 PM

Can you see the ingrediants for the scalp treatment? For some reason I can't get them to come up. Since we no poo, there are certain things I don't like to put in my hair. But it sounds nice.
#7 of 12 Old 06-13-2006, 02:29 PM

I'm having the same problem. It used to just get bad in the winter time but now that it's been nice out, it's still a problem. If I use lotions I breakout. I've tried a few different lotions but I don't have the money to keep trying new things. I've tried different shampoo, conditioner, scalp treatments, and non of it helps.

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

#8 of 12 Old 06-13-2006, 03:07 PM

Here are in the ingredients as listed on my jar:

Almond Oil, nettle leaf, rosemary infusion, beeswax, lanolin, propylene glycol, perfume, fresh papaya, menthol, peppermint oil, lavender oil, rose absolute, rosemary oil, juniperberry oil, salicylic acid, borax, limonene, linalool, methylparaben, propylparaben.There is an * next to limonene and linalool that says these occur naturally in essential oils. Hope that helps!
#9 of 12 Old 06-13-2006, 04:02 PM

My scalp gets very flaky when I don't take enough Essential Fatty Acids.
Doesn't seem to matter what I put on the outside only what goes inside

I suggest adding coconut oil, cod liver oil, fish oils, borage, black current,
as many different oils as possible really.

Blessings,
Traci
Mom to 3 homebirthed boys ages 16,13 &10

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#10 of 12 Old 06-13-2006, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysmom
Here are in the ingredients as listed on my jar:

Almond Oil, nettle leaf, rosemary infusion, beeswax, lanolin, propylene glycol, perfume, fresh papaya, menthol, peppermint oil, lavender oil, rose absolute, rosemary oil, juniperberry oil, salicylic acid, borax, limonene, linalool, methylparaben, propylparaben.There is an * next to limonene and linalool that says these occur naturally in essential oils. Hope that helps!
sounds nice!
#11 of 12 Old 06-14-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden/averymum
NOWAY! I eat alot of yogurt. maybe I should try, I'd have to get some nice almond milk for my tea or something. I used to get an upset tummy from milk. weird. I'm going to try!!
Yup! I recently (maybe 5 months ago?) cut my dairy intake to almost zero. My skin is much happier! I've discovered, too, that soy yogurt is very tasty. Gotta get that good bacteria, or else I'd have a yeast infection every month when I ovulate. Oh, and we use rice milk on cereal/oatmeal and in coffee and tea. IMO its consistency is more like cow's milk than soy milk is. My kids love almond milk to drink.

Good luck! I live in the high desert southwest and dry skin is a constant problem for me.

computergeek2.gif

#12 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM

I have been itching for weeks, after I switched to Paul Mitchell Super Skinney products.... wow, I thought it was a hair color allergy but I have traced it to an ingredient in (several of) my conditioners, Linalool. See if it is listed in a product which you are using...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page