Curly Girls - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 492 Old 06-01-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I got back into blowing my hair out for a long while : I really like a change every once in a while, so I tried it curly last week but I had shampooed & conditioned it. It came out ok my curls weren't defined & there was lots of frizz. Then 2 days later I did the same thing & it looked much better. I've gotten lots of compliments & I'm thinking about going no poo again & hopping back on the curly bus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 492 Old 06-01-2009, 05:31 PM

I change things up too... super short, too my bra-band and so on.

I am currently dreadlocked (which curl ).

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#483 of 492 Old 06-21-2009, 10:59 PM

I've bookmarked this and will read it all when I have time.

Ds#2 definitely has curly hair.

I am not sure what mine is...it's either very wavey or borderline curly. It does frizz when it's humid, but it smooshes down when I sleep on it.

Mostly I need to know how to tell ds#2 how to take care of his hair.

I am used to mine not doing what I want it to do, and long ago learned to just let it do what it wants.

I'll be back.

Thanks for links and all the tips ahead of time.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#484 of 492 Old 08-04-2009, 07:04 PM

Anyone want to take the plunge as a new no-pooer with with me? Both dd and I have curls and she's never had poo. I have to admit to blow drying mine straight every day for eons. I gave it up in May and my curls are just ok. I am sick of product and all that - so I just want to go to something natural and get on with it. I also have a new baby and a 2 year old that I am tandeming around the clock it seems so who has time to deal with blow drying anyways ?

Beth, Mama to my two nurslings, DD 2.22.07 and DS 6.20.09 Worn, Intact, CD, Unvaxed, Born at Home!
#485 of 492 Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 PM

I just took the plunge hardcore last week. I threw out ALL my products. I'm a bit panicked, but cheap enough that this might work.

So yeah, count me in, Beth!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#486 of 492 Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I just took the plunge hardcore last week. I threw out ALL my products. I'm a bit panicked, but cheap enough that this might work.

So yeah, count me in, Beth!
Awesome! I am using my leftover 'poo to clean toilets and tubs - might as well use it for something. I am on day 2 of no 'poo and I feel pretty good that my hair is clean. I went and had a trim this morning but I am suprised at how dry my hair still seems.

I am in between wavy (2b I think) and curly (3A). With gel I can get ringlets like my dd but with no product well I just kind of look a mess - which is what made me a blowdryer girl to begin with. I am really hoping that going the CG route makes that even out. Whenever I put gel in it always seems crunchy or looks wet even when dry - which isn't what I am going for. Without it though I am really frizzy waves. Any thoughts there?

Beth, Mama to my two nurslings, DD 2.22.07 and DS 6.20.09 Worn, Intact, CD, Unvaxed, Born at Home!
#487 of 492 Old 08-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My hair is too short at the moment to be curly but this is what it looks like when it was longer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1249581769

I always hated my hair growing up, wasn't until I was in my 20's that I realized how lucky I was to have a head of beautiful thick curls and how to properly cared for them. I'm the only one with curls in my family so no one knew what to do with them.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#488 of 492 Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Love the color of your hair, too, Sharlla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
I always hated my hair growing up, wasn't until I was in my 20's that I realized how lucky I was to have a head of beautiful thick curls and how to properly cared for them. I'm the only one with curls in my family so no one knew what to do with them.
Ditto. Why is it that us curly girls have curly DADS??? My dad was just like " Cut it short?"

I'm a botticelli, somewhere between 2a&3a on the "curl spectrum," and I've been noticing that my hair is either really dry or really greasy. Like - the roots are greasy and the length is dry, or all of it is greasy. I don't like it at all. Anyone been there?

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#489 of 492 Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM

WOO! Super excited I found this!!

I am a 3a- think Nicole Kidman, I have her curls and her original color (bright red) I have been compared to her twin LOL.

I have recently gone no-poo! : I believe I am almost 4 weeks in now. I am enjoying the money-saving and ease. I haven't noticed that much of a difference to be honest, but it could be to do with the fact that I desperately need a cut but I haven't been for 2 reasons. 1. We just moved here to Guam and I don't know any good stylists that I trust with my hair yet! and 2. I am embarrassed to go to a stylist and tell them I am 'no-poo' and request not to shampoo my hair. I know, i'm lame.

I have not read the book but I am ordering it right now! Has anyone else had any experience with the no-poo? There are a LOT of posts in here I don't know if I can read every one.

Happy to be here!

:
#490 of 492 Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 PM

Hey, Leone!

I'm currently no-pooing, and a couple weeks in, too. I'm not noticing a huge difference in my hair, but my scalp is very different. If you hang out in the "Natural Body Care" forum, you can read up on no-poo.

#491 of 492 Old 10-09-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

I just got a great cut & I'm back on the curlyirl wagon!!!
#492 of 492 Old 11-08-2009, 04:37 AM

I've been poo-free for 4 months now and at first it was OK. I got a cut about 2 months ago, which was a bad cut, now I'm getting build up, and now I HATE my hair again

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but my scalp is very dry yet my hair is greasy at the roots. I use BS maybe twice a week and CO wash every time I shower, after a lemon juice rinse...which is usually every other day, and then use some leave in. The rest of my hair is fine, it's my scalp I'm having issues with.

The other problem is that it is seriously hot and humid here, generally 80% year round, and it has created havoc for my hair from the day I moved here, despite no-poo. The humidity doesn't seem to make it frizzy it makes it incredibly limp and almost straight! I used to have very thick, luscious botticelli-curls but now they are lifeless, limp and hanging so heavy, they are completely unflattering. There are no CG stylists here, or anyone that specializes in curly hair because most of the locals have straight, dark hair.

Does anyone have any help or experience with such humidity and/or with the scalp issues?

Please help! Thanks Curlies!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page