Curly Girls - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 492 Old 07-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jessamy,

I hope you don't mind my off topic question, but tea tree oil is very very new to the USA and we don't have much information on it. Seeing that you're from Australia, I was hoping you knew more about tea tree oil than I do.

Is it ever toxic when applied topically in larger amounts? I literally schmear it all over my face for clearer skin or mix it in with my no-poo haircare regimen and it works wonderfully, but I was wondering if there is a threshold between it being healthy vs. toxic.

There are conflicting reports on use of tea tree oil on dogs, do you know if it's beneficial or not?

We've all been dabbling in the use of tea tree oil by putting it in our laundry machines and dishwashers. Do you see any harm in that?

I'm fully aware that it can't be ingested. The most you can use it for is as a gargle (without swallowing).

Anything you could tell me would be great, thanks!
#62 of 492 Old 07-02-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica
For your situation, try using a lot of apple cider in your hair and scalp one day (diluted 1/2 water to 1/2 apple cider vinegar), leave it in as long as possible and then do what you usually do in the shower. If you want to use your fingers to scrub your hair and scalp a little, that's fine. You may see a difference that same day.
just want to make sure i understand...the ACV and then the washing/conditioning etc? or, more specifically, here's what i'm planning to do:
1. ACV sit and soak that you recommend
2. baking soda/conditioner
4. ACV/conditioner
5. (when out of the shower, lol) lavender EO/water spray

seem OK/functional?

thank you!!
#63 of 492 Old 07-04-2006, 03:38 AM

Laisett:

That seems to be a good plan for one day just to start mending any damage. Your hair may be weighed down or look greasy this one particular day, but starting the next day, hopefully you can start your regular washing schedule.

The whole point of the extra sitting around with apple cider vinegar is to restore the pH of your scalp, get rid of extra oils and buildup, and to give your cuticles enough time to kinda do it's thing and start laying flat and give it some shine.

You may not even need to do the lavender EO spray unless you want some extra moisturizing that one particular day.

As for the conditioner and baking soda, I just personally find that that is easier to work with than just pouring watered down baking soda over my head. Enough of it doesn't seem to stick so that I can properly scrub my scalp and hair and it just feels so much cleaner with the conditioner and baking soda. See if it works for you.

Quick warning: that baking soda and conditioner DOES temporarily make your hair feel like straw in the shower when you rinse it out, but after you rinse and apply the conditioner plus a few squirts of apple cider vinegar, your hair feels like silk.

I play tricks on my hair when I feel like getting a different look.

* Voluminous, thick looking hair, little to no curl, just big Glam waves: do the baking soda/conditioner shampooing. Rinse. Use conditioner and squirt or so of the diluted apple cider vinegar (optional) to very ends of hair only. Whatever is left on tips of fingers, maybe smooth a little of the face framing hair. Whatever you do, do not put any conditioner or apple cider vinegar on roots of hair. Rinse well. The point of this is to not use a lot of apple cider vinegar. Detangle hair with wide-toothed comb. Blow dry using medium heat. Use brush for crown of hair. The result is big hair with some shine due to the conditioner. Not recommended for doing daily because the lack of apple cider vinegar will eventually make your hair brittle and dry. It's cool for sometimes when you want lovely, thick looking, BIG hair.

* Normal curls: Baking soda/conditioner shampoo. Rinse. Apple Cider vinegar spray all over hair. Use fingers to distribute throughout hair and scalp. Rinse. Add conditioner on ends of hair if needed. Rinse. For some volume, take fingers and scrub your hair and scalp again to get some of the apple cider vinegar residue and conditioner out. Detangle and style as usual.

* Super shiny, lots of curls: Baking soda/conditioner shampoo. Rinse. Take a gob of the conditioner, spray a generous amount of the apple cider vinegar into the conditioner and mix it in your hand. Massage this all through your hair and scalp. Rinse well. Detangle hair with wide-toothed comb. Scrunch hair as it dries (air or blow dry).
#64 of 492 Old 07-04-2006, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Curly girl here!

Just subbing for now, will say more later.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#65 of 492 Old 07-04-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
Curly girl here!

Just subbing for now, will say more later.
Welcome!
#66 of 492 Old 07-04-2006, 10:57 AM

Happy 4th everybody!

Shannon, have you had any success with no-pooing lately?
#67 of 492 Old 07-04-2006, 01:51 PM

Yes and no. Some sections of my hair look way curlier, but some look more flat. I realized that I need to do the clip and lift thing, too, for the crown of my head, since that's super flat. I think I need to just keep up on not using cones and fuss a little with amounts of conditioner/BS/ACV, etc to get the right combo. I have confidence that I will eventually get it!

This morning I thought was going to be a good hair day, but of course in the middle of my shower my DD fell and bit her tongue so I had to end my shower without finished my hair and by the time I got back to it it looked like crap (and I didn't have enough time/energy to start over!). Oh, well. I just need to be patient!

How are you doing? I saw on another thread someone called you a nag! I see that it was meant in a good way, though!

Shannon
#68 of 492 Old 07-04-2006, 11:30 PM

Poor kid! Is she doing better now?

As for the 'nag' comment - it did momentarily twinge a little but then I had to smile and eventually laugh. It's actually TOTALLY true and my friends and family know that I am a nag, but that I do it out of love. Funny thing is, I'm usually right about whatever I'm nagging about and whatever advice or suggestion I give, they come back to me and beam "HEY! That actually worked! I feel SO MUCH BETTER now!"

So yeah, I took it personally for like half a minute, but I found it humorous that somebody that doesn't even know me pegged me correctly
#69 of 492 Old 07-05-2006, 12:20 AM

Yeah, DD's okay. She cried for quite some time (but especially when I insisted that I had to get back in the shower to finish up). She has a big gouge on her tongue, but what can you do?

FYI, I'm glad you're a "nag" when it comes to all the info you have. Why hord it all for yourself when you can help other people with it, right?
#70 of 492 Old 07-05-2006, 11:17 AM

I know! My point exactly.

You know, honey may heal your daughter's tongue wound a little faster; even if it doesn't, it'll sweeten the fact that she has an owie Popsicles (for cold) and dark leafy green veggies should help too (vitamin K). The honey or popsicles are easier to give to kids though
#71 of 492 Old 07-08-2006, 01:08 AM

I had to take a shower tonight, and usually if I shower at night I don't wash my hair (so I can do it in the morning). I decided to wash my hair, too, since I was at the park with the kidlets. Anyway, I used my Jessicurl Aloeba conditioner mixed with a tablespoon of honey, massaged my scalp, rinsed, then put a little more Aloeba conditioner on the roots, and rinsed. I didn't use a towel to scrunch my hair, I just used my hands to scrunch/squeeze the water out. My hair is air drying and it is pretty curly- and that's with no product in it. I'm amazed, because usually if I air dry and don't put any product in it, my hair is barely wavy. I must be doing something right!

Shannon
#72 of 492 Old 07-09-2006, 06:45 PM

I have reasonably curly hair and have recently started doing the bs/acv thing. It's been way easier than I expected!

My question: to keep it curly, I don't brush all the time, and no-pooing has helped with greasiness, but it gets so tangly! I haven't seen anything serious about tangles in any of the resources; they all just say to finger brush, or brush when wet, but with long curly hair, this is like half an hour of serious brushing everytime I want to be tangle-free! (I'm very gentle, and work tangles out from the ends, so I don't break my hair, but there is no way I could get any tangles out with finger-brushing. I think if I didn't brush for a full three weeks, I would basically have frizzy dreds, and not nice ones!)

What do you do about tangles?
#73 of 492 Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 AM

You can try using more apple cider vinegar or making it a stronger dilution (I use a spray bottle, perhaps you can spray extra ACV on the ends).

I also use a lightweight conditioner so I don't get tangles. Try something cheap like VO5, Suave or White Rain - most of these do not have silicones in it.

If you want to go natural, make a spray bottle of a few capfuls of essential oils (lavender is nice), a squirt of jojoba oil and fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water.

Shake and squirt this mixture into hair and comb through as usual.

I find that I still have to comb my hair and brush it, but if I don't blow dry my hair all the way (keep it slightly damp or not bone-dry), I can arrange the curls or scrunch with my fingers. I get weird looking curls otherwise, they don't look properly formed, it just looks yeah --- ratty.
#74 of 492 Old 07-11-2006, 10:19 PM

I don't have time now, but I can't wait to dig into this thread!

Looks like some great information is being shared. Thanks!!!
#75 of 492 Old 07-12-2006, 03:26 PM

Seeing we have no search function, somebody mentioned that she made the mistake of putting baking soda, conditioner and brown sugar together (rather than just brown sugar and conditioner) to no-poo her hair. The result was a mousse-y lather that worked really well for her.

I was going to do the brown sugar and conditioner thing (I use Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner) and I hadn't used the brown sugar in a while so I had a lot of hard sugar rocks in it. I used what I could and added the baking soda.

I got a lot of lather from it! I scrubbed and let it sit for few minutes and rinsed. Put a little fresh conditioner on the ends of my hair and rinsed. My hair looks great too. I know the lather is just for fun, but this particular mixture cleans well too.

For the person who made this serendipitous mistake, thank you!

Also, to that person, do you think this mixture can be premade and kept in an old shampoo bottle, or would it spoil?

Any reason to think this no-poo recipe can't be done more frequently?

#76 of 492 Old 07-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Conditioner reviews - nice thread:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/for...ad.php?t=14050
#77 of 492 Old 07-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Hmmm. Maybe Sauve isn't good for my hair and that's why I've been having problems with my hair looking icky...that Nature's Gate chamomile conditioner sounds good.

Of course my hair looking like crap could have something to do with the fact that it's summer in MN, we're in the middle of a dry-spell, it's hotter than hades outside, and we have no air inside...

Shannon
#78 of 492 Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 PM

Those are factors, yup.

I'm guessing Minnesota is drier in climate than Atlanta, no?

I've noticed that I had stringy looking and flat hair when I was doing no poo and there was not any humidity in the air (like Atlanta during winter time).

If that's the case, try upping the apple cider vinegar to ridiculously high amounts.

Finger scrub out while rinsing. You may see an improvement.

You said the conditioner and brown sugar worked for you. You can keep doing that. Along with that, you can try the conditioner and big chunk o' baking soda (1 tablespoon minimum for shoulder length hair or shorter, use more if you have longer hair). Rinse well, using your fingers to let water slide through your hair and scalp and use your fingers to get some of the conditioner out.

I'd be shaking my hair and myself in front of a fan like a hot miserable dog if I didn't have AC in hot weather. Then again, we didn't have AC in NY - it was hot but not Atlanta hot.

If nothing helps, you can use Dr. Bronner's, shampoo bars, or the coco-betaine based shampoos available at Whole Foods or similar stores (Avalon, Burt's Bees, etc).
#79 of 492 Old 07-13-2006, 04:16 AM

I really love this thread i am still absorbing all the info. How exactley does one start no-poo. I mean do you need to strip your hair or something first to get rib of any poo residue??? Shoot I can't even remmeber the last time I showered. I think it was monday........ or was it tuesday : My hair is looking very lifeless and limp and it is normally bouncy and curly and gorgeous. It just hasn't been the same since the birth of baby number three.

So can you give me a step by step. I think I am a 3b and I tend to have an oily scalp and very dry ends. I also live in a dry climate.
#80 of 492 Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing Minnesota is drier in climate than Atlanta, no?
Actually, MN is pretty humid, except we're having wierd weather this year. It hasn't rained in weeks. Poor farmers.

So yeserday I did the BS/conditioner thing with a bunch of ACV and my hair looked clean (I ended up pulling it up because of the heat, but at least it wasn't stringy). Gina, weren't you saying in a previous post that sometimes it can take weeks to "heal" your hair? Also, I just realized that I really do need to get a haircut. My hair isn't ideally cut for curly hair, but I can't spend too much money. Actually, my DC need haircuts, too, so I may have to wait.

Shannon
#81 of 492 Old 07-13-2006, 11:49 AM

Yay, something worked!

Your hair, my dear, is exactly like my hair.

It likes lots of baking soda to clean, but it likes lots of acids to keep it from falling flat.

Yeah, the apple cider vinegar can repair split ends to a degree, but it's still good to get a trim.

Shoot, I just get trims from cheapo places. I always have a gay African American man cutting my hair, he's great. If he's not around, I check for people who have curly or thick hair, or have ethnic hair themselves. Just ask for somebody who knows curly hair, and you will have a volunteer!

PrincessC:

I would like to think that were some sort of process to the no-poo mayhem. I actually added baking soda to my regular shampoo to get rid of buildup and kept using more and more baking soda until I weaned myself off the shampoo. Don't forget the apple cider vinegar, which will further clarify your hair and get rid of scalp and hair problems. Just using baking soda with your current shampoo will get some residues out and you will LOVE your hair that day. Condition well, avoiding the roots.

It takes a lot of patience, trial, and error, because natural stuff isn't a 1-size fits all packaged commercial solution. If you keep that in mind, and start learning about your hair and body, it's not quite as frustrating.

And of course, we're all here to troubleshoot and help you along the way
#82 of 492 Old 07-13-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
And of course, we're all here to troubleshoot and help you along the way
Yeah. I've had to use everyone more than a few times while I figured out my hair!
#83 of 492 Old 07-14-2006, 05:29 AM

oh im loving this thread...
from the naturally curly hair types chart im a 2a and dd 1 is a 2b on dry days and a 3a when its humid.
im new to curls. ive only been wavy since i got pregnant with dd1.
so basically im butchering our hair treating it like straight hair and seriously need a step by step manual to know what the heck i should be doing...
i look like a poodle...dds hair looks tangled we needed this thread desperately

eta: actually im a 2c, i have extrememly thick and coarse hair.

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#84 of 492 Old 07-14-2006, 01:25 PM

Well I tried the Co wash yesterday and I added a bit of baking soda because my hair was kinda oily. Then I rinsed with ACV but I don't think I rinsed the Co out well enough because after my hair dried it was sticky and felt a bit heavier than usual. My curls looked great though.

So this morning I woke up and my hair was really greasy/waxy and kinda stringy not pretty at all. I hoped in the shower to see if I could rinse it but it just wasn't helping so I ended up using a lil bit of shampoo on my scalp and them I condtioned really good. It feels better now but I think it just might frizz out. Now I think I am going to follow your advice and slowly wean off the poo LOL.
#85 of 492 Old 07-14-2006, 03:10 PM

Yeah do the no-poo thing gradually. Here's the reason why:

It'll help you get the hang of scalp and hair scrubbing. If you don't scrub well and rinse well with conditioner only washing, then you'll get greasy looking hair.

More importantly, if you've been using conditioners with silicones in it (Pantene, Garnier Fructis, and most other conditioners), your hair will actually be gummy for a while until you get the baking soda and apple cider vinegar to get rid of all the silicones. The baking soda tries to strip the silicones and it's pretty much like melted plastic on your hair. So it gets gummy and tacky until it all comes out.

Do conditioner only washing ONLY after the whole detox period. If you do conditioner plus baking soda, put at least a tablespoon's worth in. Be sure your new conditioner is lightweight and silicone free.
#86 of 492 Old 07-14-2006, 06:00 PM

Ahhhh oh wise one. That is exactley what happend. I have learned my lesson. I will go gradual now LOL.
#87 of 492 Old 07-14-2006, 07:01 PM

Hugs and kisses to you all!

My hair has never looked and felt better! My dh was sceptical at first (no washing) but he is now a believer.

One question. I went swimming today. Should I do anything different to my hair to prevent the clorine from damaging it??

Happy Wife & Mama to 1 boy 12/6/05
#88 of 492 Old 07-14-2006, 07:18 PM

Sure you can.

Best possible thing to do is wear a swimcap, but since *I* don't even wear those here's another option.

Wet and drench your hair thoroughly with clean water first, add silicone free conditioner to wet hair. Or you can put olive oil in wet hair. After swimming, no-poo clean your hair as usual, condition well with ACV, conditioner or both. You can put your hair up or braid it loosely with a snag free ponytail holder (don't make it too tight).

If you wet your hair prior to swimming, it 'waterlogs' the hair cuticles a bit so that extra water and chlorinated nastiness can't penetrate well. The conditioner helps be a barrier to a degree and keeps the chlorine from drying it out.
#89 of 492 Old 07-15-2006, 12:04 AM

OK, I've read the book and scoured all your excellent posts. I'm ready to begin. Actually, I began today with a conditioner nopoo. Big curls on the underlayer, but a flat canopy, even with plopping and clipping and lifting. I guess my top layer is way more dried out. Anyway, I think I'll take the advice here for the gradual method: conditioner and BS no poo followed by ACV and conditioner on the ends. I have to get to the store for some cheap cone free conditioner. The experimenting required has me a little confused, so I'll need to tune in here for encouragement.
#90 of 492 Old 07-15-2006, 12:21 AM

I just read some of the links again at the beginning of the thread. After the BS nopoo, is it best to condition, then follow with the ACV last? I'm getting so confused:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page