Curly Girls - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 492 Old 08-18-2006, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finger comb my hair while in the shower and don't have a problem with tangles. Then again, I have shoulder length, baby fine hair, so that might be why I can get away with this!

Shannon
#122 of 492 Old 08-19-2006, 01:09 AM

Glad this thread is active again. I've been no pooing with conditioner for about a month, and have weaned myself to Avalon Organic shampoo once a week or so. I'm just wavy, but my hair is color treated with permanent color, so quite dry. Well, my waves (they start at about the top of my ears and my hair, straight, is to my collar bone), are finally beginning to emerge...I've really had to be patient. I'm so excited, I'm hoping a little more length will yield more curl. I was using the real cheap conditioner mentioned in other threads for curly girls, but finally tried Nature's Gate conditioner.....what a difference: soft, shiny waves!! I'd love to hear from others with just wavy hair...
#123 of 492 Old 08-19-2006, 03:28 PM

I have just wavy hair! Well, it can be curly if I put a lot of product in it, but in it's natural form it's just wavy. I just had a baby two weeks ago and it's naptime, so I need to nap, but I will write more later!

Shannon
#124 of 492 Old 08-21-2006, 12:40 AM

This thread seems to become stagnant and then burst at the seams for a few days!

Anyway, Mosesface, you had the Cher-hair because you used the baking soda on your hair by itself and scrubbed with it.

I've noticed too that if I put the baking soda and conditioner together to make a gloopy paste that I can clean my hair better and my curls stay together.

EVEN BETTER LUCK is when I add brown sugar to the baking soda and conditioner mixture. Big, shiny curls.

I can't do the frizzy Richard Simmons look either. :

As for hairstyles, your best bet is to go to the NaturallyCurly website and check out their links for ethnic hair and pictures of cuts suited for curly, kinky, or nappy hair. You can also pick up magazines at any grocery store and there are hair books galore. Your hairdresser will need to see a picture anyway.

A good hairdresser won't cut your hair in a straight way. That sounds obvious, but what they'll do (or you can blatantly ask for it), is to cut your hair so that the curls are defined and they interlock with each other. This gives a defined, polished look and not curls and frizz flying every whichaway.

Try to find somebody who has ethnic or curly hair, they will know how to cut your hair and understand the quirks of curly hair (not cutting so short because it will spring up 6-8 inches, not leaving you with uber-short bangs, etc).

Let me see if I can find a link that may help. *Searching*

*Ding!*

http://beauty.ivillage.com/hair/cuts...,,4t9j,00.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlpi...a2ce0b8e73dbd0

One of the biggest forums for natural African American hair - I'm sure there are pictures too:
http://www.nappturality.com/modules/...p?articleid=57

http://www.naani.com/types_of_natura...troduction.htm
#125 of 492 Old 08-21-2006, 03:41 PM

well, after several days of lovely curls thanks to the aloe alone, today i decided it was time to get good and clean again.

so i used the aloe conditioner + baking soda + brown sugar and then (here's where i may have ruined it), i did an ACV rinse.
out of the shower, while my hair was sopping wet, i combed through the aloe, then i plopped for a while.

and now my hair is -alright-, i guess. it's very frizzy, curls not together. but it is very soft. i have it up in a ponytail and that'll do until i go swim tonight.

so what did i do wrong this time?
what exactly is the purpose of the ACV, again? was i not supposed to use it after the brown sugar? am i just being ridiculously impatient?

still experimenting!!

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#126 of 492 Old 08-21-2006, 03:50 PM

Everyone's hair is different, mine does not like vinegar. But my husband's does.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#127 of 492 Old 08-21-2006, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Today I used the bs with brown sugar & trader joes nourish conditioner. It looks pretty good. I still have some frizz along the top layer of hair but ir wasn't too bad. I actually wore it down today. I think I need a trim. When it starts acting up I think a trimming it & shaping it helps alot! Great tip Spastica!
#128 of 492 Old 08-21-2006, 07:50 PM

i have a good friend who has been a hair dresser for a little less than a year now. several of my girlfriends go to her for color and claim she is fantastic. but those with curly hair HATE her hair cuts and are too afraid to tell her. they "secretly" (i doubt it's much of a secret to a hairdresser) get it cut elsewhere and keep going to her for color.

i'm starting to get a little peeved with them because they refuse to tell her what they dislike about they way she cuts their curly locks. how is she supposed to learn if even her friends won't help her!?

i finally decided to quit chewing them out and go ahead and let her trim my hair. my hair is very long compared to their chin length/ shoulder length hair, so i have a little more wiggle room. i called her today and told her all about everything i have been learning regarding cones and nopoo and all that jazz. she was so intrigued and told me to come in on friday with all my own products to teach her what i've learned so far. then she's going to give me a very conservative trim.

i'm really excited about what i'm learning about my hair and even more excited to participate in my friends education. perhaps she will become one of those wonder curl workers!

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#129 of 492 Old 08-21-2006, 08:00 PM

I'm a curly girl I actually had totally straight hair until I buzzed it when I was nine It grew back thick and with ginormous loose ringlets. My sister's hair did the same thing when she cut it short, only her curls are a little tighter.

Right now I'm just using Mane and Tail conditioner once or twice a week (my hair is not-at-all-ever greasy) I'd like to try Jessicurl products, but I'm a poor college student, so maybe for Christmas
#130 of 492 Old 08-22-2006, 02:50 AM

I tried Jessicurl products. I liked them (I got the sample set) but not enough to spend that much money on them! Have you looked at her sample sets? It's actually a great price for the samples, and they last a while.

Shannon
#131 of 492 Old 08-22-2006, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out
#132 of 492 Old 08-22-2006, 11:00 AM

The thing about the Jessicurl samples is that you don't use a whole lot of product for your hair. I bought mine a few months ago and use it when I don't feel like doing the whole baking soda/vinager thing (sometimes that's so time consuming!).

Shannon
#133 of 492 Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 AM

domesticzookeeper is use MnT conditioner too. I really like it and have tried a lot of stuff.

But I am thinking of finding the aloe conditioner that was mentioned earlier for an alternative.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

#134 of 492 Old 08-23-2006, 01:13 AM

Does anyone here get an itchy scalp? This is day 1 of the curly gurl method and my scalp is crazy itchy. And it feels kinda greasy. My curls look good though...so how do I satisfy scalp and locks?
#135 of 492 Old 08-23-2006, 11:49 AM

Itchy scalp is why I use either brown sugar or sea salt as a scrub every 5-7 days on my scalp. I mix the scrubby stuff with conditioner and it gets rid of the build up. I can always feel when it's time to scrub...

#136 of 492 Old 08-23-2006, 03:05 PM

I can't believe there is a forum on this! (insert very pregnant lady doing happy dance here.....) I have hair that waves when I don't shampoo it, but I was doing something wrong and it just looked greasy-no matter how much I scrubbed with conditioner! After reading the back pages I think I need to get rid of the silicone stuff and start again......I got discouraged in October and got a perm (what was that about a kicking myself icon?) and am now in that lovely halfway grown out stage. I can't bring myself to cut it off, though I think that might be the best thing to do-because it grows sooooo slooooowly even though I'm taking prenatals and extras and pregnant too (Im growing out my bangs as well-they were last trimmed to my eyelashes in March and they're just barely-if I streeetch-to my upper lip.) Now I'm glad I have an ob appt today so I can go home early and go shopping and get "the right stuff" for my hair.....Right now, the unpermed part has maybe two waves and just looks funny-it's too wavy to be straight and too straight to be wavy....I got the book and almost gave it away but I'm pretty sure I still have it....gonna go dig and see if I can't find it and try again! I have the occasional strand that is seriously curly-like shrinks to a quarter of it's stretched out length, so I'm hoping and praying that my preggo hormones are going to permenently curl my hair! (You guys with curly curly hair probably think Im bonkers, but believe me, straight hair that is sort of, well, maybe a little wavy sux.)

Thanks for the inspiration-I really needed it!

(Now watch, I'll be back in two days cuz I'm doing something wrong again.... hope ya'll don't mind!!!!!)

hoping for curls...
#137 of 492 Old 08-24-2006, 07:03 PM

oh my goodness, ladies....i may have had a breakthrough!

i spent an ungodly amount of time in the 107 degree heat yesterday and by the evening all i wanted was to lay down in a cold shower and die. i decided the laying down and dying part wasn't such a good idea, so i just took the cold shower. ANYWAY...i went ahead and took the opportunity to let my hair hang out in my aloe conditioner for most of my shower, then rinsed (no BS or ACV). out of the shower i spritzed with some lavender water and and towel dried a little.

THEN (this is where it gets good), once my hair was completely dry several hours later i started to get whiney about how it's just not shiny (though it is getting less and less frizzy) and i had an idea. i just recently purchased some home health "almond glow" which is a massage/body oil made of olive, almond, fruit, rose, jojoba and and vitamin e. i've been usining it instead of body lotion and absolutely love it so i though, why not give it a go on my hair?

so i put just a little in my hands and started smoothing it over my (dry) hair, gently finger combing it trhough and OH -- MY -- GOSH...my hair is gorgeous (and it smells darn good too). it's shiny, my curls are ever so nicely defined. all the tiny little curls around my face are just beaming.

so, the question is: is there any down side to this? the product is very inexpensive, $5 for 10oz and it takes just a few drops and i have tons of hair. there's nothing but eo's in it. it just seems to good to be true.

anyone here want to burst my bubble??

#138 of 492 Old 08-24-2006, 07:36 PM

I went to buy one of the Tresemme conditioners listed, but then got there and they all have dimethicone in them! Is it far enough down on the list that it doesn't cause a problem or did they change the formulation? I can't find anything without silicone in in-besides alberto vo5 and that stuff seems really waxy....and mane n tail, but the last time I used that it built up really badly too.....is there anything besides suave? (That stuff (all smells-I've tried!-gives my hubby a headache, so he pitches it in the trash if I buy it I don't blame him)

Help! Wavy novice in need of expert advice! Where do you buy jessicurl, or avalon or jason? (I haven't looked online....: ) I need something fairly cheap because my piggy bank is squealing....

eta:mosesface-where did you find that essential oil stuff? It sounds wonderful.....
#139 of 492 Old 08-24-2006, 08:38 PM

as far as i understand it, dimethicone is water soluble and therefore will not build up, nor does it stay on your hair once you've rinsed.

in fact, my JASON aloe has some dimethicone listed near the end of the ingredients and i HAVE to add more to my hair when i get out of the shower because it just doesn't "cling" when watered down, kwim? most conditioners full of insoluble cones stick to you hair, and sometimes that makes you happy (temporarily ), but the more you use them, the more they hang on.

also, the home health oil....i picked it up at central market, a whole foods-esqe grocery store here in austin. i imagine you could find it at whole foods or any health/natural foods store.

#140 of 492 Old 08-24-2006, 09:00 PM

So I guess that answers the question about the tresemme conditioners then.

Off to the store I go (since it's 4 minutes to quittin' time)

Thanks so much for the help! Cant wait to bs my hair again....my bangs were curly-as in round, springy curls this morning-til they dried, then they were straight. But I think since they were curly when they were wet, that means there's hope, right?
#141 of 492 Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM

Laurel - sounds like you may not have enough apple cider vinegar in your hair. Do a good rinsing with the apple cider vinegar - scrub in, scrub out. You won't have straight hair.
#142 of 492 Old 08-25-2006, 07:11 PM

i never thought i would say this, but i really enjoyed getting my hair "cut" today. i met up with my friend the hairdresser, taught her everything i've learned thus far about nopooing, etc. she nopooed my hair (with my own conditoner that i'd brought in) and trimmed a whopping 1/2 inch off my hair! there were hundreds of teeny golden circles on the floor.

i was really skeptical what a 1/2 inch would do, but it is INCREDIBLE. between a month of nopooing, the addition of the oils i put in a few days ago, and this tiny trim, i can honestly say my hair looks and feels better than it ever has in my whole life. the trim knocked off just enough of my "velcro" ends and my whole head just seems so happy.

anyway, i just wanted to share the love and encourage any of you curly girls that haven't had your hair trimmed recently to get on it!!

#143 of 492 Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 PM

Okay. I needed that- I haven't had my hair trimmed in quite some time...maybe I will do that on my maternity leave...

Shannon
#144 of 492 Old 08-25-2006, 11:42 PM

Subbing.

DD1 has crazy curly hair - I have long, very thick and dense straight hair. There has been a learning curve, for sure.

I usually just rinse her scalp in the bath with my fingers and add conditioner every time it's wet. We air dry, and leave-in the conditioner (a mostly-organic lavender scented one). This works, but her hair is so long that it takes forever. I'm very interested in the sea salt scrub for itchy scalp, which she has. Did I miss where folks were talking about using it and how it worked for them? ( : could be... it's a long thread)

I have read the Curly Girl book and loved it. My mother, who also has curly hair, said she was "offended" that the author says you don't need shampoo. I laughed and replied, "Well, you don't!" Now I have to get it out of her head that she needs to comb my dd1's hair when she sees her, "just to get the tangles out"...

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#145 of 492 Old 08-30-2006, 05:44 PM

well, two days of bs/acv, a day of johnson and johnson baby shampoo (it was already in the cupboard at home ) and a day of conditioner only "washing", and my hair is looking better...needs a trim, but hubby actually commented on it...usually he only says something if it's looking particularly good/bad, and it was a good comment, so we must be on the right track!

He still whines about being able to smell the ACV in my hair-after two days without it!

I think his schnoz is too sensitive.

(This is a man that can smell garlic on my breath at the bottom of the driveway though, so who knows?)
#146 of 492 Old 08-30-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I just had to tell you that I had a few days in a row with the most awesome curls, but then not so great. I didn't change what I did, so what gives? I used Suave Lavender & Lilac mixed with brown sugar & plopped with an herbal essences gel that they no longer make! I'm about to run out so I have to re-read the CG-approved gels soon. Then I use the diffuser. I think I figured out one trick that I ignored from CG. DON'T TOUCH CURLS TILL DRY! By not scrunching while I diffused I just held the diffuser up to my scapl in an accordian fashion. That worked! I think that touching made me frizzy. Then I rub a bit of coconut oil into my hands & scrunch that into my hair. But the days my hair looked good, it looked SOOO good, & oh the compliments. The curls were clumped nicly & they were super bouncy & lasted all day long! I wish I could get those results every day! Any advice for consistancy? I'm still a work in progress & did fall of the band waggon a few times & used shampoo. I won't be doing that again. One shampoo made my scalp all flakey like it used to be. My head much prefers conditioner!
#147 of 492 Old 08-30-2006, 07:19 PM

hey erica.... are you using any BS/ACV at all during the week? if not, you may start trying it once a week, maybe on the weekend, just to get any of the leftover gel etc. out. i have found that i have to "restart" my curls at least once a week. the first day they're always a little too soft, the second and third days are fantastic, sometimes the fourth, after that it's just a gradual down-hill until i use the BS/ACV and start again. overall, the health of my hair has radically improved, and the look is really getting there, i think it just takes some time to get your hair to co-operate all the time.

#148 of 492 Old 09-04-2006, 03:20 PM

back to the first page
#149 of 492 Old 09-04-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica
You can make a saltwater spray for your hair:

http://discuss.gromco.com/snl/tz14383.html
Thanks again!

I found this from that link:

1 cup water
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp conditioner
mix it all up in a spray bottle

And I'm a bit confused... I should spray conditioner on my hair and then not wash it off? Isn't that bad?
What's the purpose of the conditioner? To add a nice smell? To make the hair softer? Heavier?
Of course I could just mix everything up in a spray bottle and I'd find out, but I'd rather ask the knowledgable first. :
#150 of 492 Old 09-04-2006, 05:21 PM

You can see some of my curls in my Sig link. That was an okay day for my curls, but it was also before I started no pooing.

-----

My problem is that my hair only looks good the day I wash/no poo it. The other days I have to wear it up. Actually, not only do I have to wear it up but I don't know how to do any cute hair styles with it, besides my normal messy bun. It seems like sleeping with my hair down ruins the curls and sleeping with my hair up causing wierd kinks in my hair and frizzes the ends.

Has anyone been to any of the naturallycurly.com hair stylists listed for AZ? Right now I go to Toni and Guy Academy and can get cut/color(which I've decided to let gorw out)/style for 65$ plus tip. Anywhere else wants over $150 to do all my hair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page