Writing on child's skin w/ Sharpie for Swim Team - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6yo dd is on the swim team. For the weekly swim meets, they write the child's name and their events on their arms. Especially with the young kids, it is really helpful for the volunteers to make sure they are in teh right place at the right time.

But how bad is it for my dd? I used to think of our skin as a protective covering for our bodies, but I know know that everything is absorbed by our skin. Should I be worried? and alternatives? Black eyeliner???

I'm sure I could just refuse the markings, but I don;t want her to be "labeled" as the one with the wacky mom (pun intended , and I'm sure the mainstream moms already think that I am a little wacky anyway ) Also, I only let her have the necessary info marked on her body, unlike the other kids who have all kinds of team spirt written all over their backs, arms and legs.

What do you guys think???

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#2 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Okay. I know nothing about this. The title just caught my eye. Seems like there would be a better alternative than a Sharpie for everyone (not just the swimmers with wacky moms). How in the world do you wash that junk off?

How about a grease pencil? (For all I know that could be worse!)

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#3 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 03:51 PM

A waterproof eyeliner would probably work just as well. My mom hated this kind of stuff and was always very particular about my skin, so I am still particular about it as an adult, and especially with my DS. If you don't want people writing on your child with markers, tell them so. And if they give you grief you can tell them they can come over and scrub all the ink off while you go relax
#4 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 04:10 PM

You can contact Sharpie (a Newell Rubbermaid company) directly:

http://www.sharpie.com/sanford/consu...ome/faqs.jhtml

Just write an email to their contact info.

I do like the wax/waterproof eyeliner idea. Can't the kids have plastic bracelets with info written instead? Like the strapped plastic used for concerts, clubs, or the types used in hospitals?
#5 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Banned

I am not trying to be flip, but is your daughter swimming in a chlorinated pool for the meets? I would think you would be just as if not more worried about her being in all the chemicals that make the pool *clean*. Those absorb into the skin -- not to mention if she opens her mouth in the water or doesn't wear goggles and opens her eyes.

Basically what I am saying is, I probably wouldn't worry about it. Sure, you're not going to bathe her in clorox or have "write all over ourselves with sharpies day" .... but once a week, a little writing, I probably wouldn't be bothered.

Good luck
#6 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy
I am not trying to be flip, but is your daughter swimming in a chlorinated pool for the meets? I would think you would be just as if not more worried about her being in all the chemicals that make the pool *clean*. Those absorb into the skin -- not to mention if she opens her mouth in the water or doesn't wear goggles and opens her eyes.
Good luck
so true! I may try the eyeliner to see if it works, but you are right, the chlorine is worse!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#7 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 PM

Chlorine in a gaseous form is harmful when inhaled. The chlorine in pools (chlorinated products in water) serves as an antibacterial agent and is not harmful.

http://www.lenntech.com/Periodic-cha...ents/Cl-en.htm

From article:

People who use laundry bleach and swimming pool chemicals containing chlorine products are usually not exposed to chlorine itself. Chlorine is generally found only in industrial settings.

Chlorine enters the body breathed in with contaminated air or when consumed with contaminated food or water. It does not remain in the body, due to its reactivity.
#8 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 05:21 PM

I wouldnt be concerned about the marker but i sure would be about the chlorine.

I know our local pool has gone to some salt method, which means no chlorine.
#9 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica
Chlorine in a gaseous form is harmful when inhaled. The chlorine in pools (chlorinated products in water) serves as an antibacterial agent and is not harmful.

http://www.lenntech.com/Periodic-cha...ents/Cl-en.htm

From article:

People who use laundry bleach and swimming pool chemicals containing chlorine products are usually not exposed to chlorine itself. Chlorine is generally found only in industrial settings.

Chlorine enters the body breathed in with contaminated air or when consumed with contaminated food or water. It does not remain in the body, due to its reactivity.
really??? I've always been pretty concerned about it, and I rinse my kids off after swimming. It sure does smell strong/ "bleach-y" : What about the chlorine is tap water that I filter out with my RO filter?? Isn't that similarly chlorinated as the pool but to a lesser extent but not desirable to drink?

I've heard about the salt water pools as the "naturally preferred" way to go. But I know of none near me. So in order to swim, chlorinated swimming water is going to be a given for our family.

I just love learning more and more from the MDC mamas

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#10 of 11 Old 06-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

I've done a lot of research in the past 15 years on the skin and products used on the skin (due to several skin conditions I have) and 60% of what goes on the skin gets absorbed so I would advise against using the sharpie on your childs skin. Tell them not to use it and tell them why. If they argue the point, tell them to produce proof that its not a health hazard (which they will not be able to).
#11 of 11 Old 06-18-2006, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
How wonderful that your daughter is swimming! I hope she enjoys swim team as much as I did over the years. I have never heard of writing events on kids, although we did use sharpies for team spirit type things. I have visions of slightly controlled chaos at these meets. Our meets were always simply marshalled, and then coaches and "bigs" helped the "littles" get to the marshalling area for their event. Everything was also posted above our team's bench/corner. This worked for everything from little city meets to Canada Games.
Anyway, I need to run, but thought I'd pass this article along re:chlorine and kids

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...andHealth/home

Katia

For greater things are yet to come...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page