Fake wood Flooring. HELP!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-16-2006, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone out there know how to clean these wood lamenate floors. I have tried vinegar-water-soap, lysol floor cleaner for the floor mate, vinegar-water-and pepperment essentail oil, vinegar-water, just water with soap, and just water. Nothing makes it shine like when we bought the house 6 months ago. All of them left a dull and almost dirty look. (some more than others) HELP!!! :
#2 of 8 Old 06-16-2006, 06:42 PM

Laminate usually needs to be cleaned with a neutral pH cleaner - anything else will dull your flooring.

You'll need to contact your manufacturer and see what approved cleaners can be used for your specific floor.

Typically, vinegar can be used for vinyl and a vinegar/olive oil combination MAY (not always) be used for pure wooden flooring, but laminate wood flooring is a different beast.

Etching the surface with acidic cleaners will dull the surface, making it prone for dulling residues, grit, and debris to further dull your surface.
#3 of 8 Old 06-16-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

I have researched this thing till I am blue in the face and can't find anything that they reccommend other than "Laminates are easy to maintain. Each manufacturer "may" have its own cleaner, but basically it will consist of an ammonia-based cleaner and water." I have tried all of it and don't like any of the results.
#4 of 8 Old 06-16-2006, 09:41 PM

We have this kind of flooring and I just use vinager/water. I actually have to get down on my hands and knees to wash a small section and then use a terry cloth towel to dry that same section immediately or it streaks and leaves it looking dull. It's a pain, but the only thing that works for me.

Shannon
#5 of 8 Old 06-16-2006, 09:55 PM

I HAD the exact same problem maybe only a month ago!!!! Have you heard of microfiber?!? (most have of course) It is the cure for sure!! no cleaners needed, just water and there are mops and dish rags and towels etc.... I got my mop from Wal-mart and there is also a company called Norvex (I think) and they sell them too but much more expensive!!! I am telling you i tried everything under the sun and this mop is amazing...it can be used dry or wet!! No cleaners needed and you can take the mop head off and throw it in the washing machine but DO NOT use any detergent!!!! Good luck and I hope you try it out because it is amazing!!!
#6 of 8 Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 PM

I also use vinegar/water and essential oil added but when we first got it a guy at Lowe's gave us some special spray cleaner made just for laminate. It really does work well so sometimes I alternate and use it. Home Depot would probably have it too.
#7 of 8 Old 06-16-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information. I have done the hands and knees thing with microfiber cloths and that has been the best results by far. I was just hoping to have an easier way of doing things. My knees are not being very nice. I have not tried any cleaners other than lysol for floor mates. What cleaners have you heard of.
#8 of 8 Old 07-07-2006, 06:22 PM

I use a microfiber floor cleaning tool and water only. Shiny, shiny squeaky clean floors.

I got mine from here www.actnatural.net. It's kinda pricey, but I'm very pleased. I have seen less expensive versions, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page