Molluscum Contagiosum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-21-2006, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone familiar with these pesky bumps? My 5yo dd has them all over her trunk/bikini/upper thigh area - I know that they are self limiting and that they will eventually go away - but now her lil sis has a few on her bod too! I would love to MAKE THEM GO AWAY as they really bug my 5yo - TIA!
#2 of 10 Old 06-22-2006, 01:12 AM

Are you sure this is what they have? I found this website, it may have something in here that you can use.
http://dermatology.cdlib.org/92/revi...cum/diven.html
#3 of 10 Old 06-22-2006, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yep - We're almost 100% sure...From our research and then we went to see the Dr. to see what she thought and she came to the same conclusion. They look almost like a wart - ALMOST, except they look like you could squeeze this "core" out of 'em (sort of white) and they have a teeny dimple on the tip - very odd...

They really aren't a big deal except for the fact that a few are right along the band for her undies - so they drive her crazy, which means she then itches them, and then they spread....
#4 of 10 Old 06-22-2006, 01:37 AM

THey'll go away I don't think my ds' ever itched, though. Maybe just b/c they were on his belly. And, actually, they went away while we were on vacation playing on the beach and then swimming in the pool about 4 hours/day. I think the sun or the chlorine zapped them.

Good luck!
#5 of 10 Old 06-22-2006, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks BusyMom - How long did they take to go away? I've read everything from a few months to 5 years!
#6 of 10 Old 06-22-2006, 12:10 PM

my 21 mo dd has molluscum on her back near her armpit. It started out as 2 bumps but over the last 3 months they have spead. The Dr. says there is something we can get put on them to make the bumps go away,but it irritates them. We are just gonna wait it out b/c they will go away(6m-1yr). They aren't suppose to cause any discomfort, but they just don't look too nice. They WILL go away, so just hang in there

kristen
#7 of 10 Old 06-22-2006, 12:19 PM

Our son had these and they did not go away on their own. We intially tried the wait and see approach, but that didn't work. We took him to a dermatologist who removed them. It was a most unpleasant experience as she used the Cantharidin treatment which causes blisters. He needed three treatments as he was completely full of them. They kept spreading on him. They did not spread to us even though we co-slept at the time.

Since having them removed, we have not had a single one appear. He has been clear about 3 years.

I would suggest a wait and see approach. If you notice that they are spreading, then I would seek the advice of a good pediatric dermatologist. Do not go to your pediatrician unless you need a referral. Our ped was way behind the times on treatment and our dermatologist was appalled by the suggestions the ped had made.
#8 of 10 Old 06-22-2006, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

DD had one teeny bump on her thigh - I squeezed it I thought it looked like there was something in there! So now she has about 30-40 from below her belly button to her upper thigh area. None have gone away - she still has the very 1st one - and that one popped up about 6 mos ago....She is just an itchy girl by nature and this just gives her something else to scratch at!

Did they just suddenly all go away or was it a gradual thing?
#9 of 10 Old 06-22-2006, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ds had one on his penis when he was 6 years old so off we went to the doctor.

The doc said they can get them in so many ways. One of those is by sitting on the bedspreads in hotels/motels (they don't wash/change those daily) because people frequently put their wet towels/bathing suits/bath towels on the beds. The germ that causes them has a great place to set-up housekeeping. Along comes a person, sits on it without clothing, voila, you have it.

YUCK!

Ds swears he'll never sit on a bedspread naked ever again!

Anyway, the doc said wait and watch. We did that for a few months and then ds said he just wanted it GONE. It didn't itch but he didn't want anything on his penis!

So, back to the doc. He injected a tiny bit of a local anesthetic below the bump. Ds didn't even flinch (I did, though!!). Then he used an electric cautery and burned away the bump. Ds thought it was really cool to have smoke coming from his penis!!

A bit of antibiotic oinment and that was that. It scabbed over and healed beautifully. The doc said there might be a bit of bruising but there wasn't any.

I just asked ds about it and he said if he ever has another, he'd do it the same way again.
#10 of 10 Old 06-22-2006, 10:26 PM

DS has a few on his neck, and I saw one today near his armpit. I got rid of that one. DD had them a couple of years ago too, on her chest. I am pretty sure they got them at the pool.

What I found made them go away was squeezing the core out of them. My daughter hates to be picked at, so it took me a long time to get all of hers. DS doesn't really mind but these are in a hard-to-reach spot; I can't really get him to sit still and hold his chin up yet. Soon... I HATE them because I am a picker and can't stand blemishes, scabs, etc.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page