BS really *does* work as a laundry detergent! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 366 Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I refered to white vinegar as potato vinegar, when in fact distilled vinegars can be made from various things:
Quote:
Distilled vinegar can be distilled from wheat, corn, potatoes, beets, wood, apples and many other things. Most in the USA are not made from wheat, but are instead made from corn, potatoes or wood...
Source: http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkenny
ACV still has traces of sugar in it (thus the darker color) and can leave deposits on clothing too.
It just seems to me that a 1/2c. of ACV in many liters of water in the washer drum wouldn't really cause an issue, so long as it's not poured directly on the clothes (i.e. pouring ACV in to the water as the washer drum is filling for the rinse cycle, would disipate the ACV).

I'm honeslty just curious why ACV is a no-no. I think this is quite similar to the idea of using Kombucha tea - fermented for over 14 days so the culture has used (virtually?) all the sugars available - in the rinse cycle, thought perhaps ACV would have a significantly higher level of sugar? I don't know enough about vinegars yet to figure out how the sugars relate to desposits etc.. I'm sorry if these are silly questions
#62 of 366 Old 07-07-2006, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm going to have to try this. The company that made the completely nonallergenic detergent I've been using closed its doors last year suddenly. I've got about 2 gallons and then.....???

I refuse to use the stuff off the shelf after having a massive, though mild, allergic reaction to something that was supposed to be "free and clear" some 17 years ago. Turns out they'd changed some component or other.
I looked like an albino leopard.:

To get baking soda in bulk, go to Sam's Club. I get it by the 12 pound bag for under $5.

"What will you do once you know?"
#63 of 366 Old 07-07-2006, 01:43 AM

I use ALOT of BS. I have a good tip on where to get it
$7 for a 50lb. bag. I get it at my local feed mill but, any feed store would have it. Ask for sodium bicarbonate.

Oh since you are probably dieing to know...
Antacid
#64 of 366 Old 07-07-2006, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissei
I use ALOT of BS. I have a good tip on where to get it
$7 for a 50lb. bag. I get it at my local feed mill but, any feed store would have it. Ask for sodium bicarbonate.

Oh since you are probably dieing to know...
Antacid
Yeah! Good idea! Thanks!

Shannon
#65 of 366 Old 07-07-2006, 10:21 PM

:
#66 of 366 Old 07-08-2006, 12:57 AM

Wow!!

50 # for $7 sure does beat 12 for less than $5.

I'll have to check if the local feedstore carries it.

#67 of 366 Old 07-08-2006, 02:08 AM

has anyone here read any of those books on the many uses of BS? I think there is one out there with 100 different uses or something like that. It would probably be good reading!
#68 of 366 Old 07-08-2006, 02:30 AM

I get many of my uses for baking soda here:

http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/tip...akingsoda1.htm
#69 of 366 Old 07-08-2006, 06:33 PM

I did the ultimate test for BS only washing... a week and a half worth of pee diapers from my 21-month-old, and BS really does work as laundry detergent!! (I know because I put my face in the diapers, and not even a hint of pee! )

It really did sound too good to be true when I first heard it. I just remembered I forgot to put in the TTO or lavender EO (oops!), but they still turned out great. I'm so excited by all this, I feel like a kid again! This is going to save us buckets of money, since I was eyeing the eco-friendly detergents. This is so much better all-round.
#70 of 366 Old 07-08-2006, 08:11 PM

I had heard somewhere that white vinegar was actually made from petroleum, but in a Google search I couldn't find anything. Anyone else know anything about this?
#71 of 366 Old 07-08-2006, 08:20 PM

There are some white vinegars made from petroleum by products, but the major ones like Heinz are made from corn.
#72 of 366 Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 PM

I jut got a heinz bottle of white vinegar and it says its from wheat. Will BS be good at getting out the dirty spots of kids clothing say food, grass, dirt etc? Or is a pretreater nessessary? I did a load for dd who has been having skin problems with detergent, and I put in one of ds's bibs. it was clean but you could see a light stain from whatever he was eating. Tomato based I think, should I have done some pretreating first?
#73 of 366 Old 07-08-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

I use OxiClean as a pretreater, but sometimes I use a 50/50 combo of white vinager and distilled water. Both seem to work on most stains!
#74 of 366 Old 07-09-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Chick
I had heard somewhere that white vinegar was actually made from petroleum, but in a Google search I couldn't find anything. Anyone else know anything about this?
That's very dissapointing to hear.

Here's a little blurb I found that's interesting:

Distilled vinegar can be distilled from wheat, corn, potatoes, beets, wood, apples and many other things. Most in the USA are not made from wheat, but are instead made from corn, potatoes or wood...
Source: http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=415
#75 of 366 Old 07-09-2006, 01:44 PM

For you baking soda only washers, do you use cold, warm, or hot water?

I always wash my clothes in cold unless it's something bacteria ridden (dog accident towels for mopping up messes).

Have you seen a difference in the way the baking soda cleans if you adjust the temperature of the water?
#76 of 366 Old 07-09-2006, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I haven't tried playing with the water temp. I kind of assumed that if I wasn't drying the clothes that I should use hot water as an extra bacteria killer. I should start using cold, though, and compare. I have A LOT of laundry to do this week (I ran out of BS last week and was too lazy to get more, so laundry built up!). I'll let you know what I find out!

Shannon
#77 of 366 Old 07-09-2006, 11:06 PM

I am so curious to try this out, but have a question:

I share a washer with 3 other people, none of whom will be into using baking soda instead of conventional detergent. If I start using baking soda for my loads, but they are still using conventional stuff, will the baking soda still work for me? I don't know if I've made my question clear, but I feel like I read somewhere that there can be buildup from conventional detergents that would make the baking soda not work as well? Or maybe it was the other way around...that buildup from baking soda would make the conventional stuff not work? So much information...my brain is on overload and I'm probably just confusing things that I've read!
#78 of 366 Old 07-09-2006, 11:18 PM

The buildup that was discussed was by conventional detergents on your clothes. There could be buildup in your machine, but you can easily remedy that by doing a clothes-less load with vinegar. That will keep your machine piping clear. I haven't even done the vinegar thing on my own machine and the baking soda is working fine for the most part. I have to toy with the amounts since Atlanta has hard water.

To simply answer your question, the detergents from your roommates should not affect how the baking soda affects the washing of your own clothes. The baking soda may even take out the detergent deposits and extra soap that your clothes have had on them!
#79 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 12:46 AM

I wouldn't think that either would make a difference either. on the arm and hammer website, they mention that by putting in baking soda with conventional detergent, the cleaning power will be boosted. So if anything were to happen and there were baking soda traces left in the washer, your friends would probably be benefiting by your baking soda I don't know your reasons for wanting to get away from the conventional stuff. If it's because it's more frugal then that little bit of conventional detergent will just be a little more soap to get your clothes clean. If it's because your trying to get away from the harsh detergents, then the vinegar trick to keep it detergent deposit free should do the trick.
#80 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 12:51 AM

I'll have to agree with the baking soda boosting the detergent's power - I can even cut down the amount of detergent and use half detergent, half baking soda for a full load and everything is really clean and smells fresh.
#81 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 05:23 PM

Maybe this is a stupid question, but is the sodium bicarbonate from the feed store the same as baking soda?! It is right? It won't matter if it has the Arm and Hammer logo on it or not?

Where do you store 50 pounds of the stuff??

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#82 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneotamama
Maybe this is a stupid question, but is the sodium bicarbonate from the feed store the same as baking soda?! It is right? It won't matter if it has the Arm and Hammer logo on it or not?

Where do you store 50 pounds of the stuff??

Yes, sodium bicarbonate is the scientific name for baking soda. Arm and Hammer is just a brand name. Baking soda is very heavy, so a 50lb. bag really isn't that big. Its about the same size as a bag of playsand or concrete.
#83 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 06:41 PM

Not a stupid question at all Liz. Yes they are the same: sodium bicarbonate.

I checked at our local feedstore today and they do indeed carry it in 50# bags. For $10.25, which is a tiny bit less than half the price I get from Sam's Club for 12# bags.

For storage, I don't see why keeping it in the original bag and doling it out into a smaller container for upstairs use wouldn't work. I've already set up a board on bricks to keep ours off the floor (occasional wetness when we get too much rain all at once) near the washer to keep a bag or two on. Considering the denseness of baking soda compared to birdseed, and considering the size of the 12 pounders, the 50# bags won't be that big.

#84 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri
Not a stupid question at all Liz. Yes they are the same: sodium bicarbonate.

I checked at our local feedstore today and they do indeed carry it in 50# bags. For $10.25, which is a tiny bit less than half the price I get from Sam's Club for 12# bags.

For storage, I don't see why keeping it in the original bag and doling it out into a smaller container for upstairs use wouldn't work. I've already set up a board on bricks to keep ours off the floor (occasional wetness when we get too much rain all at once) near the washer to keep a bag or two on. Considering the denseness of baking soda compared to birdseed, and considering the size of the 12 pounders, the 50# bags won't be that big.
What a great idea. It never occurred to me to check a feed store. I'll be doing that today or tomorrow. Thanks!
#85 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 08:07 PM

my local feed store doesn't carry it I'll have to keep getting it at Costco in the meantime.
#86 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 08:18 PM

Just me butting in again...

If the sodium bicarbonate/baking soda is used as an antacid for horses, you can probably use it as a dentrifice too. If it's not used as an antacid and the sodium bicarbonate is used for cleaning farm machinery or something, you may not be able to use it for teeth scrubbing.

Sodium bicarbonate/baking soda comes in different granule sizes. The one you get in the little Arm and Hammer boxes that are labeled "for baking and deodorizing" are safe for teeth. One of the two plastic shaker bottles that are available on the market is actually for cleaning and the particles of baking soda are larger and is not safe for teeth.

In the same train of thought, you may need to look at your baking soda from this feed store closely before using it on something like teeth or for body scrubbing. You may need to dilute it all the way before using it if the grains are too big.

I doubt that the store manager will know if the baking soda is suitable for personal use or not, but you're going to have to check it out for yourself.
#87 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasanova
my local feed store doesn't carry it I'll have to keep getting it at Costco in the meantime.
That may not be a bad thing -- baking soda really absorbs moisture and it's impossible to pour once it clumps from moisture. Having fresh batches of baking soda as you use it, in convenient 4, 7 or 12 pound boxes (however it is sold in) can be both easier to carry home and store, and fresher to use.
#88 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 08:43 PM

The baking soda I buy is "feed grade" it is slightly coarser than the stuff meant for human consumtion but, has no problem dissolving for laundry use. I only use this kind for livestock, cleaning and, laundry. I use the stuff from the grocery store for body products and human consumption.

It's not exactly used as an antacid but that is the simplest way to say it.
Technically it is a supplement that I offer free choice to my dairy goats to help buffer their rumen, to prevent acidosis.

I haven't had a problem with clumping (I go through it too quickly) but if you did you could keep it in an airtight container.
#89 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 PM

Yeah, I keep four to eight pounds of so in a Rubbermaid container used for flour. It's got a flip top lid and a sturdy handle. I use a measuring cup for scooping it out for laundry and if I need to refill my plastic shaker bottle.

I'm sure not everybody has goats and probably don't go through as much baking soda as you do! That is impressive to have 50 pounds or more just around the house or the shed though.

I don't think I would be able to drag the 50 pound bag up the stairs to my apartment, lol.
#90 of 366 Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 PM

I got a mental picture of a woman bent over, dragging a bag as it thumps from step to step. I get ya!
I only have two goats so they only go through a pound or two a week. I actually use most of it for laundry! We get pretty funky.

Thats a good idea about using a pouring container I just have an old Sams Club detergent bucket that sits beside the washing machine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page