BS really *does* work as a laundry detergent! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2006, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OT, but Spastica, I just HAVE to know, what on earth do you do for a living? Are you a researcher? Or just completely anal retentive like me? (Makes me a good editor, though that doesn't necessarily come through in my speed-typing posts!) You are so good at digging up answers to all this stuff so quickly :

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

I think we should have a Spastica forum, where we can all go to get info from you, Gina. Wow. You rock!!! I didn't know I could actually clean my shower curtain- we have hard water, too, and when it gets that pinky stain on it we throw it away and buy another one.

Oh, boy. Does anyone want a preschooler? Just kidding. Love my DC but having some issues with patience in this heat (and being 8 months preggo!).

Shannon
Old 07-13-2006, 10:14 PM

:

You guys are too much. I love y'all too!

Well, if you'd like to know about me, I'll tell you. I'm the Prime Minister of a little planet made completely of sodium bicarbonate. Our major export is, in fact, baking soda, but our neighboring planets don't seem to care so much for the wonderful mineral, so I am on a mission to get more people to purchase baking soda on planet earth....

Hey. It could happen.

Okay, would the *real* Spastica please stand up?

>>>>------------------------------------------------------------<<<<

About Spastica

Spastica was born in Knoxville, TN to two wonderful immigrant Indians from Calcutta, India. They had an arranged marriage and moved to the States along with many other hopeful young and eager Indians.

Her father, a nuclear engineer, often had contract projects in various states in the USA. For this reason, little Spastica was moved from town to town with her parents. As an only child and often the "new girl" in every town, Spazzy resorted to comedy to get people to like her and when at home, she would bore her mother with questions and blather about her day at school. Spastica's mother often kept her busy by asking questions and helping her with homework. When she wasn't doing that, she would watch cartoons or educational programs, or had her nose buried in a book. She had few selective friends, none of which she kept for long before she had to move again. As a result, Spastica's mother did her best to keep her child well-adjusted and happy.

As a former literature student, Spastica's mother wanted the best for her child and tried to get her ahead in school. During summer vacations, when not playing, she'd assign something to read: articles from magazines, excerpts from stories, sample math questions from workbooks, etc, and then ask questions. She helped spark Spazzy's creativity and encouraged her to try out for the gifted program at one school that offered it. Spazzy passed the test and was in the gifted program for the year that it was offered in that particular school. Unfortunately, wonderful programs like that often get pushed aside from lack of support. Spastica tried to apply herself in other ways, like entering in school science fairs and joining school clubs like the Science Olympiad.

In high school, Spastica teetered on career ambitions while being the dark, brooding, but personable academic around campus. Literature and Biology were her passions. She took biology classes for fun and took classes like typing and basic computers when everybody else took home economics or study hall. Though Spastica did not realize it at the time, the typing classes would pay off in college and in the work force. It has even helped her gain new friends online on several forums! Spastica's typing speed is anywhere from 65-80 words per minute.

Spastica's parents actually wanted her to stay in one high school throughout her time there - so Huntsville, AL was the place where Spastica's family stayed thereafter. Spazzy's father was tired of all the traveling he had done throughout his career and ached to have his own business. He started up his own environmentally-friendly chemical company, focusing on a green product that converts rust into a primer coating. Though Spastica's father had a poor and rocky start, he has had tremendous success in recent years and sells his formula to several manufacturing companies and antique car restoration shops. He is expanding his business in the retail market soon.

While her father pursued his own goals, Spastica enjoyed the typical high school life: days busy with involvement in Youth Orchestra, AP coursework, creative writing, the local Indian community, and her passion, singing.

After toiling over internships, SAT's, AP courses, and the general drama of being a high school kid, Spastica applied to three schools to eventually become an eye doctor, specifically, an optometrist. As a high school student in Alabama, Spastica fell in love with Atlanta, Georgia's variety and charms, and particularly, fell in love with Emory University. Spastica quickly applied to Emory, Vanderbilt, and her safety school, University of ********** (UAB).

To her pleasant surprise, and to her parents' surprise, she was accepted to all three schools and she merrily trotted off to Emory, her first choice. There, Spastica attempted about 2 and half years of pre-medical courses and internships before finding out that the medical field was just not as fascinating from a clinical standpoint, and that schooling really took the wonder out of science and biology. She quickly took some career assessment tests and tried other options. She ended up keeping her English major and completed a Business minor instead. Spastica believed that communications may be her ticket to career bliss in the future.

Spastica graduated with a bachelors of arts in English and a minor in Business (focus on marketing), and headed off to New York with her first job at Turner Broadcasting Systems (TBS), working in the web advertising department for entertainment sites like Cartoon Network, Goodwill Games, and WCW. After 6 months of being away from her family and boyfriend, and having much difficulty with gaining friends and having health problems in the mildewy and often dank NY, she moved back to Atlanta.

Spazzy's been in Atlanta ever since. She has been employed at several companies, most of which have been in the home improvement, retail, and interior design field. She has had the opportunity to work for Atlanta's finest companies like Home Depot/EXPO Design Center and Goody Products (a Newell-Rubbermaid company). She specializes in media, advertising, and marketing. Like most Gen-Xers, she is dismayed by the 'real world' and is often contemplating on how unfair adult life actually is. To add insult to injury, Spastica is also disheartened that the corporate world is nowhere near as fascinating or challenging as she was brought up to believe. It finally dawned on her that all that hard work in school, challenging herself and trying to learn, really don't amount to much in the real world. So she's back to square one. All that stuff, good college, good coursework, don't mean nada.

To keep herself occupied and from getting completely disillusioned, Spastica now reads articles on the internet, reads magazines and informative pieces, and enjoys eating out in Atlanta's spectrum of restaurants. She also takes adult enrichment classes at local colleges or workshops, and has taken courses in interior design and will soon take classes in soapmaking and other special topics.

For more information about Spastica, please feel free to view her profile on Friendster: http://www.friendster.com/12999379

Please note that the pictures are outdated. Hopefully she'll post more pictures later! Thank you for reading this posting of the biography of Spastica.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the heads-up on the particle size of the baking soda from the feed store. At this point I'm only using it in the laundry along with the detergent, for occasional tub and whatnot scrubbing (prefer Bon-Ami when I can get it), and my hairwashing. I figure larger granules won't matter for any of those.

I've tried it as tooth "paste" before and couldn't stand it, so that won't be an issue for me.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 07-14-2006, 12:37 AM

Spastica, your bio is too funny! I enjoyed reading it.

Also, wanted to say that I LOVED the post here listing your various natural "concoctions" and the rooms you keep them in. Detailed stuff like that makes me so happy--i can't even tell you! I love when people tell you EXACTLY how they do the things that work for them. (Probably because I'm lazy, and love not having to go through the trial and error myself. And also because I'm anal and way too detail oriented.)

But I digress.

I am totally replicating your system as soon as I get some more spray bottles.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:58 AM

I looooove spray bottles

Makes my life easier. Point and shoot.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys

My question for you is - Where in Walmart do you find the TTO?
Tea tree oil oil is in the same aisle as the antiseptic. If you look for rubbing alcohol, iodine, hydrogen peroxide and other stuff near the pharmacy, there is a small line of bottles with TEA TREE OIL written on it. They're brown bottles with cream colored labels. They should be on the absolute bottom shelf or tippy-top highest shelf. It's not really widely used, so they put it in an area that's not with the mainstream products. It's about $4 something a bottle. A little goes a long way in terms of disinfecting and using it for acne, face washes, and lovely scalp tingling dandruff/itching treatments. Very invigorating.

With that in mind, you may not find it altogether because your community may have no demand for it, or your store's buyer may not purchase it. I HAVE found it in Huntsville, AL, so I'm totally positive it's in most Wal-marts.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:25 AM

love bs and tto! anyone add vinegar in the very beginning cycle? i am too lazy to add it to the rinse, since the washing machine is two flights down from our apartment. waiting for the day to have wash and home on same floor.

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
Old 07-14-2006, 11:32 AM

Thanks for all the great information here. I washed some of my dh's work clothes last night w/straight bs. It worked like a charm. They came out smelling like well, nothing basically. I think they got cleaner than w/detergent. I also had thrown in my ds's blanket that he calls chew covers. Guessing from the name you can probably imagine how stinky that thing gets!! Anyway, it came out smelling fresh

Loved the biography Gina!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notamommayet
Also, wanted to say that I LOVED the post here listing your various natural "concoctions" and the rooms you keep them in. Detailed stuff like that makes me so happy--i can't even tell you! I love when people tell you EXACTLY how they do the things that work for them. (Probably because I'm lazy, and love not having to go through the trial and error myself. And also because I'm anal and way too detail oriented.
Oh, my gosh! This is me all the way!!! I think that's why it's taken me so long to switch from being mainstream to crunchy! I just WANTED someone to tell me what to do!!!

Gina, you crack me up! I think we'd be great friends if we could meet in person (not that we can't be friends over the internet, but you know what I mean!).

Shannon
Old 07-15-2006, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129
Gina, you crack me up! I think we'd be great friends if we could meet in person (not that we can't be friends over the internet, but you know what I mean!).

Shannon
Hehe, I'm glad you liked the bio. I think we'd be great friends too. I can't tell you how much I look forward to coming on here each day (several times a day). I get a lot of positive and good energy from all you sweet ladies, from all over the USA and a few from the other side of the world!

I'm sorry I won't write much tonight. I just heard that one of my childhood friends, who was just barely 21 or 22, passed away this morning. He was battling liver cancer. The cancer spread from his liver to his pancreas; it then ravaged up his spinal column and into his brain. He had such an infectious laugh. He'd laugh so hard he'd snort and he'd laugh even harder because he snorted. He had us laughing and rolling on the floor because he was laughing so hard. He was about 8 when I saw him do this, I've seen him a few times since -- we live in different states and everybody's doing different things and growing up. He was such a sparkling and happy go lucky boy.

Not too long ago another friend of mine just dropped dead at the age of 25. He apparently had heart arrhythmia. He had graduated from college (Georgia Tech), worked for a while, and decided to become a doctor. He really found his calling and loved medical school and inspired all his friends and colleagues. He had taken some exams and they were out celebrating. He was talking at dinner and all of the sudden, dropped dead.

Our community hasn't really gotten over his sudden death and now, we're not going to really be okay with this other boy's death. They're both too sweet, too young to die.

As of right now, I'm sad and bitter. Everything is so unfair

As you may know, I'm from India, and the train bombings took about 200 people. I'm sure India will go to war with Pakistan, like they really need to....and the USA is just waiting for that opportunity too.

A sales rep in my company had some work to do in New Orleans and he told us yesterday that nothing has changed in a year, that New Orleans is in a time warp from Katrina. It's not wet anymore and some of the debris on the streets are cleared, but everything else is broken.

A few years ago, Asia had the tsunamis too. We can't even help regular people and all these countries want to go to war. Meanwhile, something is going on in my community where all these 20 somethings and even some of their parents are getting sick with really odd sicknesses.

Everything's so messed up, I can't stand it. Priorities in this world seem to be skewed.

Sorry to be so bummed out. I just don't think anything is fair right now. :
Old 07-15-2006, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica
As you may know, I'm from India, and the train bombings took about 200 people. I'm sure India will go to war with Pakistan, like they really need to....and the USA is just waiting for that opportunity too.
I'm so out of the loop. When I read this my heart skipped a beat. My parents are currently in India with my grandma. Thankfully they're either in Lucknow or Calcutta, but I just read some reports, and I'm convinced a lot more people died than have been reported Those trains are usually just packed to the brim, and often overflowing.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:47 AM

Siana, you're probably right.

My family is from Calcutta I'm Bengali!
Old 07-15-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so sorry, Gina. I'll be thinking of you!

Shannon
Old 07-15-2006, 11:23 AM

Can someone answer this question:
Quote:
I'm not sure I would cut out the laundry detergent completely though. Soap/detergent is an emulsifier, and none of the other ingredients listed there (BS, TTO, vinegar) really are, so I'd think that they would just be laundry enhancers, not replace the detergent entirely?
Why would there be need for an emulsifier? BS dissolves, right? Anyone?

I've been spreading the word about the concoction elsewhere in cyberspace
Old 07-15-2006, 11:53 AM

Detergents usually include some sort of agent that keeps dirts from redepositing on clothing as well as an 'optical brightener' (something that makes clothes look whiter than they actually are).

Baking soda is a mild alkali, which when it comes into contact with grease and oils, saponifies (turns to soap). This will get your clothes clean. There are no optical brighteners or anti-depositing agents, but I would think that the anti-depositing agents would be more useful if you had really really dirty clothes, like caked in mud. You don't want to remove the mud only so that it gets back on your clothes in a different area.

As of yet, I don't have clothes that are THAT soiled. If you do have something soiled, brush off whatever you can, and you can soak it in a little detergent and baking soda overnight in a big bowl. Then you can wash it as usual the next day.

If you don't want to use a detergent, but would like to boost the cleaning power, you can grate some soap (olive oil soap is good) into your baking soda, mix it up, and use that.

To answer your other question, baking soda is a soft mineral and DOES dissolve in water. To make sure everything is dissolved, either dissolve it first in your cup with the baking soda and pour it onto the clothes or toss the baking soda in the water before adding clothes. Warm water dissolves better than cold, but I use the cold water coming out of my machine to dissolve the baking soda a little at a time (I have a measuring cup), until all of it is dissolved.

Baking soda is kind of funny. It works as hard as it has to. If something is totally greasy and disgusting, it turns all of that to soap. You can see this when you have an oily pan and toss baking soda on it and let it sit. It lifts up the grease and it rinses clean. If something isn't that dirty, baking soda really has nothing to work off of, and just cleans whatever it has to. It partners well with other kinds of chemicals. It's a good helper

So you can use baking soda by itself as a mild soap and detergent alternative. If you want extra cleaning for super soiled stuff, add a little detergent, or add a little natural soap.

Problem solved!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:00 PM

Off topic, but does anybody else get REALLY happy when they see their container of baking soda and can't wait to use it, no matter for what purpose? It's like my little friend now. I can always rely on it, and it never does me wrong. So happy, so pure, so CLEAN.

I've lost my mind, y'all.

Dunno if it's psychological or there's really something to that crack-cocaine-baking soda thing after all.....

At any rate, I'm hooked. I could write poems about baking soda.

*Spazzy starts singing "Edelweiss"*

...Small and white,
Clean and bright,
You look happy to meet me!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:23 PM

Loving this thread!

Another quick question, then I HAVE to get off this computer...

What is the "no-poo"? What do you use instead of shampoo, what specific amounts?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:51 PM

No-poo stands for 'no shampoo'.

You'll find information at these links:

Try the sticky, scroll down for instructions on no-poo and scalp scrubbing:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=114069

http://motowngirl.com/no_shampoo.php

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=432544

This also has a bunch of links:
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...=1#post5358746

It's a lot of info, but the more you know, the more you'll know how to approach your hair and you won't be surprised with what your hair is doing. Knowing what's going on will make you less likely to give up as well.

How to no 'poo
Dissolve about 1 tablespoon of baking soda in just enough water to make a paste. {Spazzy butting in here -- some people find that making the mixture liquidy or completely dissolved, or even using baking soda and silicone free conditioner cleans better than baking soda paste. See what works for you} Apply this to your roots only {Spazzy again, try doing your whole head. I tried doing the roots only and eventually my hair looked oily}; work it in and let it sit for a minute.

In order to stimulate blood flow, clean your pores and get off built up grime, use your finger tips to scrub your scalp. Start by making a circle on the top of your head in the area you’d wear a crown. Focus on the back of this circle to begin with. Next, fill in the circle. This is where your part will be; grease here affects the way your hair looks. Trace while still scrubbing with your fingertips around the bottom edge of the circle. Keep making scrubbing circles underneath each one, drawing lines in circles around your head.

Lastly, scrub the back of your skull and your temples/sideburns. This will result in less grease and more growth. After doing this, your scalp will feel alive. Many women swear their hair grows faster after a visit to the salon — it does, and this massage method is why.

When scrubbing, you’re actually rubbing your fingers back and forth in short movements. Be gentle; you don’t want to break your hair. Next, pour about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a cup and add water. (I keep two plastic 12-ounce cups in my shower and just mix when I get in.) After you rinse the baking soda out, pour the apple cider vinegar over the ends of your hair, let it sit for a minute and then rinse it out. That’s all there is to it!

No 'poo troubleshooting
Remember, there is a transition period from two weeks to two months depending on the person. Here are a few tips:

• If your hair becomes frizzy, try using less baking soda or leaving it on for a shorter period of time. Adding honey may also help.
• If your hair becomes greasy, try using less apple cider vinegar, switching to lemon or lime juice, leaving out the honey, and/or using a comb instead of a brush. Also, make sure you’re applying the apple cider vinegar just to the ends of your hair.
• If your scalp itches, try the following essential oils; tea tree, lavender, rosemary. If your hair becomes dry, try a tiny bit of oil (any oil, I use olive) smoothed on bottom of hair.

From: http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/1...no-shampoo.htm
Old 07-15-2006, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the response! I found that stickied thread, but with all the different concoctions, i'm a little overwhelmed! Will check all your links...

I have only ever used shampoo/conditioners. I'm sick of the prices though, and every day when I wake, my roots are greasy again. That seems ridiculous to me. I never know which brands to try, and they all seem to stink...

I've heard of the no-poo thing, but never knew where to start. My hair is fine, and super straight. Other than that, I couldn't tell you much because I think the products have my hair so messed up, I don't know what "normal" is for my hair.

In September, i'm going camping, and may not have the opportunity for washing my hair for three days. I'm terrified of looking like a greasy hag in front of people! I hope to get a no-poo routine down by then so that I don't have to worry about it!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:03 PM

Ooops, one more question, I do not have any ACV on hand...but I do have lemon juice and lime juice (bottled kind). Would those work as well as a rinse?
Old 07-15-2006, 01:12 PM

Lemon or lime is better for lighter colored hair in the long run, but it's okay for once or twice use if you have dark hair.

Check the links I posted to see how much lemon or lime juice to use instead of apple cider vinegar. You can probably still use 1/2 water to 1/2 lemon or lime juice and spritz it in your hair. Scrub it in, scrub it out and rinse.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:22 PM

Ok, i'm off to the showers!! I'm going to try the lime juice, one of the sites said if your hair is prone to getting greasy to go either lemon/lime instead of ACV, so that's what I'll try. I'm excited about this, and trying the laundry trick too!!

Thanks for the help, with all of it! I have been slowly converting to natural products, and it'll be nice to go that route for personal care as well.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:15 AM

Just wanted to report in. I've been using my bs from the feed store for one week now. I love it! Seems to be working great.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:16 PM

Thought you guys would be thrilled to hear this...

I went to a basic knife skills class to learn about the proper way to hold and use a chef's knife and to julienne, dice, and slice properly.

Anyway, there was a lady there was some sort of organic biologist - she works with airborne bacteria and how it relates to asthma and allergies and she works on other things too.

Another man that was there had a bunch of horses and of course, I had to ask him where to find feed stores so I could get a huge thing of baking soda. He was wondering what all the baking soda was for and I mentioned that I use it for everything in my house, including cleaning.

The organic biologist nodded her head and said "Actually, baking soda and vinegar clean very, very well and kill bacteria like commercial detergents, if not better. It's a great way to clean."

So, there you go. An expert opinion.

The only bad thing was that the govn DOES flag people who buy copious amounts of baking soda, and the biologist confirmed this. People can make all kinds of explosives, so that's a big thing right now. Gotta watch myself!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, man, did I ever miss the boards while they were down!!!

Okay, so back to BS/vinager in the dishwasher...I was using 7th Generation powdered detergent and it was working great, except it clumped, so I would put it in the door thingy and then pour a couple of drops of 7th Generation dishsoap on it to prevent clumping. If I use BS instead, can I still use a squirt of the 7th Generation dishsoap with it, or would that be bad?

Also, thanks for the info, Gina, from that organic biologist. I'm SO excited to use BS for anything and everything I can (and thanks for the heads up on the whole government watching me if I buy loads of BS...)

Shannon
Old 07-20-2006, 09:29 PM

if you use vinegar and peroxide for disenfecting, (spray one right after the other and they have to be in seperate containers) they will kill bacteria better then chlorine without all the chemicals!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:15 AM

Thank you so much for this thread, I totally want to use bs for everything now! It works great in the laundry, but I am having a little trouble in the dishwasher. DH has been putting in about 2T of bs where the soap would go and less than 1/4 c. vinegar in the rinsing agent thingy. We are getting major film on everything--totally chalky. HELP!!! What are we doing wrong? How do you do it?

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:46 AM

I'm not the pro on this, but I'm thinking it has something to do with the hardness of your water? I'm sure someone else will be able to help you better, but I'm pretty sure you need to use less of one or the other and more of the other because of the kind of water you have.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica
The only bad thing was that the govn DOES flag people who buy copious amounts of baking soda, and the biologist confirmed this. People can make all kinds of explosives, so that's a big thing right now. Gotta watch myself!
I don't need this! I JUST ordered a 50lb bag from our local feed store without knowing this. The lady taking my order asked me what I'm using it for.

User Tag List