Anyone know about Modal sheets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2006, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bed Bath and Beyond is carrying sheets made of 100% Modal under the name Pure Beech. The info in the store says it is a natural fiber made from Beech trees with no pesticides and chemical free.

I tried doing a search on line for more info but couldn't find much if anything. Does anyone know anything about this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, never heard of it, but thanks for the mention! I'll definitely have to go buy some.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=-1&SKU=102743

Info I got from web:

Modal (textile)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Modal is a bio-based fiber made by spinning reconstituted cellulose from beech trees. It is about 50% more hygroscopic, or water-absorbent, per unit volume than cotton is. It is designed to dye just like cotton, and is color-fast when washed in warm water. Modal is essentially a variety of rayon.

Textiles made from Modal do not fibrillate, or pill, like cotton does, and are resistant to shrinkage and fading. They are smooth and soft, more so than even mercerized cotton, to the point where mineral deposits from hard water, such as lime, do not stick to the fabric surface. Like pure cotton, modal needs to be ironed after washing.

Modal is a registered trademark of Lenzing AG, an Austrian company specializing in textiles and fibers, particularly natural fibers made from cellulose. In the United States, pure Modal has begun being used in household linens such as towels, bathrobes, and bedsheets. Bed Bath & Beyond, for example, sells its newly-released Modal sheets under the name Pure Beech. Indian textile companies, in particular, have taken to Modal, and are expected to produce around 4000 tons of it in 2005.

------------------------------------------------------------

Comment from a user:

Pure Beech Sheets, Revisited Again
In the past, I've discussed the Pure Beech sheets I bought from Bed Bath and Beyond a couple years ago. I've also fielded several questions from visitors to this site about their comfort and durability.

Today, the better part of two years after purchasing them, and having used them as my only sheets for that entire time, they're finally due for replacement.

They had begun to get a little thin toward the middle a couple months ago, but yesterday morning I noticed "threadbare" had turned to "hole" in one tiny spot. $30 for 2 years of non-stop use and laundering is more than reasonable to me, and I'll be down at BB&B this weekend to buy a new set.

So here's the final answer to durability for the Pure Beech 100% Modal Jersey Sheet Set: Two years daily use.

Posted by Colin at June 14, 2006 05:04 PM

Trackback Pings
TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://blog.tigre-tech.net/mt/mt-tb.cgi/525

--------------------------------------------------------

This info isn't from Pure Beech, but it's another company that makes Modul Products: http://www.lenzing.com/fasern/media/Modal_english.pdf#search='modal%20Pure%20Beech
Old 06-30-2006, 06:07 PM

I have two sets of these sheets, one in a t-shirt type finish and one in a sateen finish and I love both of them. They are super soft and durable!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 07-01-2006, 02:07 AM
L J

I was wondering about this stuff the other day. Gap (online) had some 100% modal underware on sale, but I didn't buy any because I just wasn't sure.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

Old 07-01-2006, 11:36 PM

I have several sets of these in the Sateen. They are wonderful. Soft and silky. They stay soft without fabric softener, and line dry like a dream. I've been using them for about a year and I have had no problem with pilling or wear.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

So is it your understanding or feeling that they are a good alternative to organic sheets (since they say they are chemical and pesticide free)?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Lou

A couple of my friends have modal sheets... soo soft and luxurious! Next time we need new sheets (that don't come from the thrift store) i'm gonna go with modal!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:24 PM

My mom gave us a set of modal sheets for Christmas 2 years ago (I picked it out at Linens 'n' Things because I liked the color--LOL). We absolutely love them, the most comfortable sheets we've ever slept between. So soft and comfy, my husband practically wont let me put anything else on the bed! My only complaint is that I sometimes have a little trouble finding them... but that's what the interweb is for. :-)
Old 09-08-2007, 11:49 PM

I love the modal sheets. Love love love them!

Come ponder with me about food!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:00 PM

LOOOOOOVE THEM!

I have had both the sateen and the jersey and like them both. Our DS co-sleeps though and I find his milk splatter stains are hard to get off, even if I pre-treat them, the bed always has his milk stains. But they are super comfy.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Old 02-21-2008, 06:09 PM

I am new to this site and found it by searching about the Pure Beech Modal Sheets. So glad I found the site and plan to reccommend to a close friend.

Does anyone know why BB&B is clearencing the satten sheets? I love them and wanted to get more for other beds in my house, but the are almost out of all of them.

I read earlie in this post that Modal sheets are not supposed to pill, but I have had a problem with this on one of my beds. Has anyone else had this problem or did I just get a faulty set of sheets? And I read that someone else had problems with milk stains. I, too, have had this problem and even with drool leaving stains.

Dispite the pilling, I still like them and wanted some more. They are the most comfortable I have ever slept on. Does anyone know of anyone else who carries them?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:20 PM

We got a set at BB&B and love them! We have had some very minor pilling, but no big deal. We've had them well over a year and they are holding up very well. They are our only set of sheets, and washed weekly or bi-weekly. They are really soft and feel great! I would definitely buy them again!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:50 PM

we have two sets form BB&B and will never go back to cotton, EVER. we have noticed that they tend to wear and tear a little. who cares, tho.
BB&B has great sales, too. grab them up!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:49 AM

oooo! I saw these sheets there yesterday and they look very nice!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2emerson View Post
Bed Bath and Beyond is carrying sheets made of 100% Modal under the name Pure Beech. The info in the store says it is a natural fiber made from Beech trees with no pesticides and chemical free.<br><br>
I tried doing a search on line for more info but couldn't find much if anything. Does anyone know anything about this??
www.lenzing.com has info on thier Lenzing Modal fiber. Not all modal fiber is the high quality Lenzing Modal fiber. All of BB&B's Pure Beech products including the Soho Towels or made exclusively of Lenzing Modal.

User Tag List