How long does vinegar or GSE have to sit on surface to disinfect? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2006, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving to a new apartment with no dishwasher: which is normally my means of disinfecting cutting boards,ect. Now if I use vinegar or GSE do I have to wait like 10 min. after I spray it before I wash it? I hope not, it seems really inconvenient... better than bleach though!
Another question. Is 30 drops of GSE in 1 cup of water enough to disinfect?
Thanks mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2006, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Noone knows?:
Old 07-07-2006, 04:00 PM

Vinegar kills bacteria on contact, but I don't know anything about grapeseed oil.

I've seen a lot of places where they say to clean off the dirt and muck first and then spray vinegar on a surface and let it dry with it on. Either way, vinegar is good stuff (the acetic acid in vinegar is intolerable to most molds and bacteria). Tea tree oil is the same way.

http://vinegar.faithweb.com/about.html

Disinfect with Vinegar
The disinfectant properties of vinegar have been verified by numerous studies including those conducted by the Good Housekeeping Institute, as reported on 48 hours (on CBS) in 2000. A straight 5% solution of vinegar kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of viruses, however in the USA, it cannot be declare a disinfectant without registering it as a pesticide with the EPA. Having said that, mix distilled white vinegar (found in any supermarket) with water and keep spray bottles of this non-toxic disinfectant in your bathrooms and kitchen - to disinfect and clean.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:09 PM

On a related note, my mom and I just got new bamboo cutting boards (renewable resource, harder than regular wood, less nicks) and it says to wipe periodically with mineral oil. Can olive oil work?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica
On a related note, my mom and I just got new bamboo cutting boards (renewable resource, harder than regular wood, less nicks) and it says to wipe periodically with mineral oil. Can olive oil work?
Not that I'd want to use mineral oil, but I believe the rationale for using it instead of a vegetable (or fruit, in the case of olive oil) oil is because natural oils can go rancid on your board over time. Maybe someone else has more info/experience??
Old 07-07-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfern
Not that I'd want to use mineral oil, but I believe the rationale for using it instead of a vegetable (or fruit, in the case of olive oil) oil is because natural oils can go rancid on your board over time. Maybe someone else has more info/experience??

Mz Fern is right. Found this... Seasoning a Cutting Board: Before using a new butcher block, season it to prevent staining and absorption of food odors and bacteria. Use a product that is (1) edible; and (2) tasteless. USP-grade mineral oil is a popular choice as it is the cheapest pure food-grade oil you can buy (do not use vegetable or olive oil because it can turn rancid). Mineral oil remains safe throughout its life. NOTE: Pure mineral oil can be easily found at your local drug store.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:21 PM

Actually found a link with a posting from a man who sold cutting boards and was in the food industry -- he basically debunks the myth about food oils going bad.

I've actually never had olive oil go bad for anything, I may just use that. I know nut oils go rancid very very quickly.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-223228-15-2.html
Old 07-08-2006, 02:16 AM

Hmmm interesting. I've always used olive oil but rubbed it in very well.

yes vinegar

User Tag List