Diva Cup or Keeper? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-07-2006, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am interested in getting away from tampons and switching to one of these. I was wondering what you use and if there is an appreciable difference between the two:

http://divacup.com/

http://www.thekeeper.com/picture/

(I am sure there are threads on this but since I can't search I'm posting here. )

Thanks!

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#2 of 18 Old 07-07-2006, 06:59 AM

I know nothing about the Diva Cup, but I do use the Keeper. I've had it for a bit now. The first month or two consisted of a lot of trial and error w/ insertion and removal, etc. Now, though, I love it! Would never go back to tampons or anything else.

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#3 of 18 Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 AM

My understanding is that the main difference is in the care of these products--you can boil the Diva, but not the Keeper.

I have the Diva and love it. I've never tried the Keeper.
#4 of 18 Old 07-07-2006, 07:53 AM

I Love the Diva too... I have not tried the keeper but I was able to touch it etc when I was choosing and I found the Diva to be softer and it was easier to fold etc...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#5 of 18 Old 07-07-2006, 04:44 PM

Both have pros and cons. I used to have the Keeper, but even with careful cleaning the rubber got smelly after awhile in my opinion. Now I have the Diva Cup, but it's a little harder to get inserted properly with a good fit to prevent leaks.
#6 of 18 Old 07-07-2006, 09:00 PM

I use a Diva and love it. My reasons for getting it instead of a Keeper:

- you can boil silicone
- I figured with the clear silicone, I'd be better able to see if I had really gotten it clean
- I read that extended exposure to rubber could cause latex allergies

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#7 of 18 Old 07-08-2006, 11:41 PM

I love my Keeper. I know some people are wary of the gum rubber of The Keeper, but I'm wary of the silicone of the Diva. I've used The Keeper for 8 years and never have needed nor wanted to boil it. It looks and smells neutral. Soap and water works fine, and I only do that when I'm putting it away for the month.

Either way, I think you'll like it. I can't imagine returning to tampons. I hated them!
#8 of 18 Old 07-09-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyWild
I love my Keeper. I know some people are wary of the gum rubber of The Keeper, but I'm wary of the silicone of the Diva. I've used The Keeper for 8 years and never have needed nor wanted to boil it. It looks and smells neutral. Soap and water works fine, and I only do that when I'm putting it away for the month.

Either way, I think you'll like it. I can't imagine returning to tampons. I hated them!
I would have to agree with the cleaning of the Keeper. Though I haven't had mine long, I have no worries about needing to boil it. Figured I'd add a second opinion in here.

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#9 of 18 Old 07-09-2006, 07:32 PM

There is also the Mooncup, that is what I like I've been using it for years.
http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#10 of 18 Old 07-09-2006, 11:00 PM

I have a diva cup and love it! (Well, at least when I'm not pregnant. ) I never tried the keeper. If you have a latex allergy, definitely go with a diva cup. I went with a diva because I preferred the way it looks.

They both have generous return policies (one year for diva, three months for keeper), so if it doesn't work out, you could always return it and try the other.
#11 of 18 Old 08-06-2006, 04:01 PM

I just bought The Keeper because it's gum rubber, vs. the synthetic silicone Diva.

Here's some info on the allergy factor from a publication called Nursing Management:

"The production method plays a role in a product's allergenicity. Dipped latex rubber products-for example, gloves, condoms, and balloons-have a higher extractable protein level and are more allergenic than products such as tires, erasers, and injection ports, which are made from dry gum rubber."
#12 of 18 Old 08-06-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinach
I just bought The Keeper because it's gum rubber, vs. the synthetic silicone Diva.

Here's some info on the allergy factor from a publication called Nursing Management:

"The production method plays a role in a product's allergenicity. Dipped latex rubber products-for example, gloves, condoms, and balloons-have a higher extractable protein level and are more allergenic than products such as tires, erasers, and injection ports, which are made from dry gum rubber."
Thanks for posting that. I'd forgotten about that. There's a yahoogroups for The Keeper which has a very useful archive and members willing to answer questions. I remember, now, the discussion of the different types of rubber and how gum rubber in The Keeper was different from those types which have more recently become problematic.
#13 of 18 Old 08-06-2006, 06:47 PM

I chose the Diva because it is latex free.

AM
#14 of 18 Old 08-07-2006, 02:22 AM

I have the Diva and the MoonCup, I much prefer the MoonCup (shaped like the Keeper) the Diva is longer and wider at the base - therefore uncomfortable for me. The Mooncup is shaped like the Keeper only it's not latex rubber.
Link to LHC cup discussion incl pix of all 3 side-by-side
#15 of 18 Old 08-07-2006, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the side by side.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#16 of 18 Old 08-07-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight
I have the Diva and the MoonCup, I much prefer the MoonCup (shaped like the Keeper) the Diva is longer and wider at the base - therefore uncomfortable for me. The Mooncup is shaped like the Keeper only it's not latex rubber.
Link to LHC cup discussion incl pix of all 3 side-by-side

Thanks for that link! Is the mooncup available in the US or just in the UK?
#17 of 18 Old 08-08-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that link! Is the mooncup available in the US or just in the UK?
They are currently trying to get it FDA approved in the US. When I bought mine a bunch of us LHC ladies got together and ordered a wholesale lot from them but they currently can't do that until the FDA-thing is finished.

DMeg said: "I contacted Mooncup a couple months back, and they aren't doing volume orders in the US right now, awaiting FDA approval."
Snowymoon said "Good News: I heard back from Mooncup already! They sure are quick (good customer service, that is for sure). They are indeed in the process of obtaining FDA approval, and they are not done with that. They will let me know when they get the approval. This means, after they get it, the Mooncup will be available for sale in the USA (hopefully!). Bad News: This, of course, means that they are not accepting any US wholesale orders at this time."

You can still order it online (retail) and just pay a little more on shipping.

Here's another link with side-by-side pix.
#18 of 18 Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 PM

I'm a total cup freak! I love my Diva, after only using it one cycle. I ordered a Moon to try as well, and the silicone version of Keeper (thinking it was a Mooncup). I'm allergic to latex, so the Keeper isn't for me. I would have loved to have a more natural product to use though, but not intead of silicone, but in addition to. I'm fully sold on cups, and think everyone should use them. My 13 year old is on her 2nd cycle, and is a Diva girl already. She couldn't relax enough for a sea pearl last month, but succeeds w/ Diva this month, and is on cloud nine. Which ever you choose, for whatever reason, know that you're making one of the most AMAAAAAAZING female decisions for the long term ride. There is nothing bad to say about cups, so keep us posted!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page