"Instead" menstrual cup a good "trial" before investing in a Diva cup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-13-2006, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been considering investing in the Diva cup. Mostly I use cloth mama pads. Well, mostly I haven't had periods for years and years b/c of pregnancy and nursing, but I think my cycle may be returning and I want an option that will work for when I go swimming, etc, and other times I might now want to use a pad.

Before I buy the Diva, I thought I might try those disposable "Instead" cups. I thought maybe that would be a cheap way to test out whether I like using these type products. You can even order samples cheap online. But I wonder if the products are actually comparable?

Anyone tried both? Would it be worth testing out Instead before I buy Diva? Does everyone love DIva cups enough to just go any buy one?
#2 of 21 Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 PM

I really didn't like the Instead. I couldn't get it in right and taking it out was a HUGE mess. I love my Diva though. It does take some getting used to to get it in right. But, once you do, its great. And I hve never had a mess taking it out. I do believe that you can return your diva if you aren't happy with it. Check out their website. I am pretty sure they have something on there for it.
#3 of 21 Old 07-13-2006, 10:53 PM

No, I didn't find the products to be similar in terms of fit. I used instead many years ago, and thought it was so-so. The fit of Instead is similar to the way a diaphragm fits. In order to get it to seal properly, it needs to be inserted so that it tucks back behind your pubic bone. Because of this, I found it really difficult to remove without spilling the contents all over my hands while pulling it out.

But for the past 5 years or so, I've been using The Keeper, which is similar (though not identical) to the fit of the Diva Cup. I like the fit much better. I find it easy to put in and take out, and I've never gotten it stuck inside me the way I did with a diaphragm/Instead. Keeper/Diva cup is a deep cup, rather than the shallow, wide mouthed bowl shape that Instead has.

I will admit there was a little bit of a learning curve with both products- Keeper and Instead. But I find the keeper to be much easier to use, and can't imagine going back.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 12:08 PM

I have been using Instead for years and LOVE it. I have never had leaking, a problem with insertion, or a mess with removing it. I treat it like a diva or keeper for the whole cycle, by just rinsing it out each time and throwing it away at the end.It does state that it is a onetime use only, but I have not had any problems with the cleaning, & reuse of it. I have not tried to keep it until the next time. I also like the fact that if the mood strikes, I can have sex with it in (make sure it's not full) and DP tells me he really feels nothing different, just can't go as deep. (sorry, if TMI).
I have a heavy flow for the first day (I clean it 4x) than after that it is "normal" (clean 2x).
You used to be able to contact the company to get a free sample (6 of them). Here is # 1-800-instead.
Hope this helps.
#5 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 12:19 PM

On the other hand, if you do decide to buy a Diva and then don't like it, you can always resell it here on the TP. I know that seems weird, but you just need to boil it/run it through the dishwasher a few times to sanitize it. People buy them, I swear!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#6 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel
On the other hand, if you do decide to buy a Diva and then don't like it, you can always resell it here on the TP. I know that seems weird, but you just need to boil it/run it through the dishwasher a few times to sanitize it. People buy them, I swear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VnJW
I do believe that you can return your diva if you aren't happy with it. Check out their website. I am pretty sure they have something on there for it.
Yes, Diva has a one year guarantee, provided the cup isn't damaged (cutting the stem for comfort is seen as damaging the cup, but is sometimes necessary for a great fit). I would try to return it before I would sell it, but that has nothing to do with hygiene, just a personal preference.

I have been using my DivaCup for a year now. I tried the Instead cups, but the main reason I wanted to switch to a cup was to save money. Not sure how the cost of Insteads compares to cloth pads, but it wasn't worth it to me. I also prefer the shape and fit of the Diva Cup. As far as using Insteads to decide if you want a Diva, I was able to acquaint myself with my anatomy (I was a virgin at the time and had no idea what was going on "down there" ), and get used to seeing the blood, but there weren't any other positives from using the disposible cup first. I would recommend to anyone to just get the Diva Cup and skip the Insteads if a reusable cup is what you really want.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#7 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 03:05 PM

Skip the instead, go straight for the diva or keeper.
#8 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama
I have been considering investing in the Diva cup. Mostly I use cloth mama pads. Well, mostly I haven't had periods for years and years b/c of pregnancy and nursing, but I think my cycle may be returning and I want an option that will work for when I go swimming, etc, and other times I might now want to use a pad.

Before I buy the Diva, I thought I might try those disposable "Instead" cups. I thought maybe that would be a cheap way to test out whether I like using these type products. You can even order samples cheap online. But I wonder if the products are actually comparable?

Anyone tried both? Would it be worth testing out Instead before I buy Diva? Does everyone love DIva cups enough to just go any buy one?
I have three boxes of instead cups that I have never used. I don't know why. I got them and just haven't given them a chance yet. I might give them a try out tonight (AF is here) now that you reminded me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#9 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 05:12 PM

I did what you are talking about....tried the Instead to see if I wanted to invest in the Diva. I hated the Instead, but decided to try the Diva b/c they are soooooo different. The instead is like a plastic baggie vs. the Diva which is a sturdy cup......much less mess!! I never got the hang of the Instead fully, but can Diva like a pro!

Go Diva and you'll never go back
#10 of 21 Old 07-15-2006, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the feedback. Seems like the general consensus is in favor of the Diva and that the two products are not similar enough to make a good comparison from. I prolly will try ordering the freebie "Instead" cups just b/c they're free. But now I know not to assume the Diva will be the same. I'll prolly end up buying Diva eventually.

Do people find that they feel them inside? I mean, maybe this is tmi, but I can feel tampons inside and find that feeling to be uncomfortable. Otoh, there are times when I really, really want some internal protection, not just a pad.
#11 of 21 Old 07-15-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch
Skip the instead, go straight for the diva or keeper.
I second this. Check and see if anyone is going to run a co-op on the tp. Then it wouldn't be as much of an investment. Plus, you CAN resell them on the tp, too

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#12 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 03:47 PM

They are not the same at all. Personally, though, I prefer Instead, but use it more than once.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#13 of 21 Old 07-20-2006, 02:06 AM

I have tried both and I prefer my Diva Cup. Actually I LOVE it. I would star in a commercial for Diva Cups if I could. I only bought it because of the money-back guarantee, I really was not sure what to expect because I always hated tampons (and felt they made my cramps worse) and only had so-so success with Instead (removal and insertion was difficult). For me it is comfortable and easy to use. A dream come true actually!

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#14 of 21 Old 08-01-2006, 04:53 PM

So glad to read this thread! I recently got my period back and am thinking of going with mama pads and the Diva Cup. I used Instead when it first came out and hated it! I can't remember if I was still a virgin then or not, but if I wasn't it was *barely.*

I think I'll dive in and try the keeper.

Question though...Do most people mix mama cloth and the cup (say cloth at night) or just use the cup?

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
#15 of 21 Old 08-01-2006, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Amanda, I don't know about most people, but I have never used cloth pads in my life. I used disposable pads for my first period way back when and was begging my mom to buy me a box of tampons before my next AF came! I just use my DivaCup and keep it in for up to 24-36 hours at a time. My flow is real light, though, so others may find they need/want mama cloth to supplement the cup.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#16 of 21 Old 08-01-2006, 05:30 PM

I have cloth pads, but I rarely use them now that I have the Diva (I use them on weird spotting days). I've found that if I use pads overnight, the Diva's not as effective the following day--because it catches the blood and fluid rather than absorbing it, if there's any blood in my vagina when I insert the cup, it slips around and I end up with something like leaking. YMMV, of course.

WRT feeling it, yes, I can feel it sometimes, but it's nothing like the feeling of a tampon. For me, I felt the tampon because of the absorbancy and, since there's none of that with the Diva, it's totally different. Sometimes I end up inserting it crooked, and that's the only time I can really feel it.

The only challenge I have is that I'm a very heavy bleeder the first two days, and I tend to overflow the cup overnight, so now I either get up and empty it once in the night or, if I sleep through, I empty it when I'm in the shower.

I LOVE my Diva and didn't like the Insteads at all (in fact, I traded them to a friend for a litter box top and some litter pan liners ).
#17 of 21 Old 08-01-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
= if there's any blood in my vagina when I insert the cup, it slips around and I end up with something like leaking. YMMV, of course.=
Good to know! Thank you both!

Amanda

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
#18 of 21 Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 PM

I use the keeper now, and like it, but I used Instead for a long time beforehand. They are NOTHING alike! I thought that because I was a pro with the Insteads, that I wouldn't have trouble adjusting to the keeper. But it took me until my 2nd cycle to even feel comfortable with keeper. Once I got the hang of it, everything was smooth sailing!

If you're interested in a cup, go with the reusable ones and skip the Instead. They really don't give you a good idea of what the keeper/diva/mooncup will be like. I also had a c-sect, so it doesn't affect me, but I've heard from other women that after a vaginal birth, the Instead cups just didn't fit anymore.

Kristen
#19 of 21 Old 08-02-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenok18
I've heard from other women that after a vaginal birth, the Instead cups just didn't fit anymore.
I have had 3 vaginal births and the Instead fit just like always. I have never had a problem with geting it to fit "right" and I don't worry about "feeling it' either. After reading these post on the Diva/Moon/keeper I feel like I'll stay with my Instead. No worries about getting it to "pop". Or having it not fit right. And having to try for months to get used to it, or to just get it right.: Nope, not for me. I like the "get it on the first try" method.
#20 of 21 Old 08-03-2006, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I use cloth pantiliners as backup for my cup because I sometimes have leakage. Occasionally I manage to overflow it, but most often there's a little watery bloody stuff coming out because of what Frog described--unless you can keep your vaginal walls below the cup absolutely immaculate, your regular non-menstrual moisture will bring a little blood out--I've had that even when emptying and reinserting the cup repeatedly (no pad-only time) because it usually splashes a little on the way out because folding it reduces its capacity.

I've had some periods that stop at night, others that don't, and others that do except for the first night. I prefer to wear cloth pads from the first time I empty the cup after coming home for the evening until I'm about to get into the shower in the morning, so that I can tell what's going on. If I do wear the cup overnight during full flow, it leaks before morning, so I need to wear a pad or sleep on a towel.

About cups not fitting after vaginal birth: I got my Keeper cup long before pregnancy and assumed I'd have to get the other size afterward, but I kept it just in case. It still fits!! Maybe it's because I didn't have a period until 18 months postpartum so had time to regain my muscle tone?

Momof3inMI, I noticed your daughter is 12. If you don't mind my asking, are you encouraging her to use Instead cups, or something else? I'm just curious because one potential advantage of Instead that I've noticed is that it's thinner when inserting so might be easier for virgins to use.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#21 of 21 Old 08-03-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca
Momof3inMI, I noticed your daughter is 12. If you don't mind my asking, are you encouraging her to use Instead cups, or something else? I'm just curious because one potential advantage of Instead that I've noticed is that it's thinner when inserting so might be easier for virgins to use.
She just had her first AF this past Febuary : , so right now we are going with pads and she just tried tampons for camp. I think she liked the idea of having a string she could pull (for tampons) on and not having to see something so big trying to fit in to her . The Instead looks really large and uncomfortable the first time you see it. I also think that at this age she prefers not to get her hands "dirty" with the removal. I do hope in the future she will be willing to try it. I brought up the idea of cloth pads and was to in no uncertian terms "NO WAY!!!, EWWW, GROSS!" So for now, pads and tampons, at least she doesn't complain to much that I get them from the NFS.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page