thuja oil?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-13-2006, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5yo dd has some molluscum contagiosum on her bod (about 50)...
i was told that thuja oil works to get rid of them - I'm having a hard time finding info about thuja oil (how to use, dilute? how often?)...anyone?
TIA!
#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 12:52 AM

We do thuja orally. But I suppose I'm not the best to give advice on this since we've been dealing with it for FIVE AND A HALF YEARS!!!!!! I'm a little frustrated, canya tell??

We actually haven't been using it the whole time. We tried the wait it out approach for a long, long time. Then we started with comfrey ointment, then the thuja...and I did notice that they weren't lasting as long. But I often forgot to give them so I went with the aldara : to try and get rid of them before my last was born. Unfortunately we didn't get them all and they are back. We're using the thuja again.

There is a discussion (actually a few) on the health and healing board.
#3 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 10:41 AM

I don't understand the difference between Thuja and cedarwood/cedarleaf. I suppose it's a different specie.

I have cedarwood oil at home, but I don't think it's the same Latin name, so maybe that's it. Oh, okay, just looked it up. What I have is Juniperus virginiana, nevermind.

Everywhere I've heard of Thuja mentions that it's toxic and causes uterine contractions that promote abortions. It's also hazardous to people with seizure disorders. Perhaps if you could tell me the entire latin name or the full common name, I can help you research a bit more. There are several varieties of Thuja. The toxic one is Thuja occidentalis.

http://www.essentialoils.co.za/toxic-oils.htm

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/d...identalis.html

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_thuja.htm
This link has information on dosage.
#4 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

The contents say: "Made from fresh THUJA LEAF (Thuja occidentalis) and 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil".....This is the link to the actual product...

http://www.gaiaherbs.com/product.php?id=189

I keep reading that it should NEVER be used - but if that is the case why is it recommended by several herbalists I've spoken to, without any type of disclaimer?? I was planning on mixing it with some castor oil or cocnut oil to dilute it...I'm puzzled now....
#5 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 AM

I've never heard that it was toxic It was recommended to be by a couple of herbalists and I specifically asked if it was safe to use in my kids...and in me because I was pregnant at the time and even though I wasn't going to use it myself it would have raised some red flags if they'd said no. I know that alot of homeopathic remedies are toxic...but they're in such small doses when you take them they don't do anything harmful. Ihaven't checked out those links yet, though.

I did google it when I first got it too. Hmmm....
#6 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 12:09 PM

I saw a lot of online shops say "We have banned/discontinued use of this product. For informational purposes, we have posted the link to Thuja."

Many oils, if diluted in carrier oils like olive oil, have toxic effects minimized. It may or may not be suitable for children, and definitely should not be used by pregnant women under any circumstances if there is any hint of toxicity or uterine contractions.

Some aromatherapists are merely massage therapists, some are are herbalists. I would hope that the ones that studied all the oils for their medicinal value would know which ones are harmful to certain types of people and know the contraindications, like: avoid if pregnant, known for photo-toxicity, do not use if you have high blood pressure, do not use if you have seizure disorder, not safe for infants under 12 months, etc. Those are very basic standards, I would say :

Anyway, natural stuff can be potent and isn't safe all the time. I think that's why mainstream products are so widely accepted and there's usually smaller chances of massive side effects or allergies.

I know somebody will blast me for saying that, but it's the reason why mainstream products were created -- for the convenience of use and for general safety.
#7 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 07:18 PM

I skimmed the sites and it appears they only have issues with the oil. I haven't heard anything negative about thuja except taking the eo internally. I also called today and was told that the eo is toxic...but the pills (or whatever you call the teenytiny balls) are ok.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page