Finger Nail falling off DD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My five year old showed me her finger and how I missed it I have no idea any way the finger nail on the top is there but the bottom is gone and the top is there. So about half way down it split and now the bottom is gone. Should I do anything for that and what? I am afraid if I take her to the doc they will forcefully remove it ouch. I never had a kid do that before. She says it is hurting her.
#2 of 12 Old 08-01-2006, 09:06 PM

About a month ago, dd (8) had a small puffy bump (warm & swollen) right behind the cuticle (under her skin) which looked a little infected. We soaked it in warm salt water a few times and the bump (infection) went away. About a week later, it looked like the nail was growing out with nothing behind it. Didn't want to go to the dr. because I was afraid, too, that they would remove the nail. Yucky. I got a little panicky thinking that she would end up with no fingernail - that's what a friend told me would happen - so off we went to the pediatrician. Dr said that there was new nail growth underneath and that there was no sign of remaining infection - not to worry, that the nail was growing in behind/underneath the old nail. He said that this can occur with any kind of trauma to the matrix which is, in fact, the ROOT of the nail. This area is not visible, it is hidden and protected by the Proximinal Nail Fold. The matrix produces keratin cells that make up the nail plate. When the matrix sustains trauma, either a paronychia (infection) or injury (may be so slight that it is not noticed), the matrix may not properly produce the cells necessary to make up the nail plate. Unless the matrix is severely damaged, the nail should grow back, although it may be a little funky (deformed, I guess) until it grows out an entire nail length. My dd's nail was a bit sensitive while the new nail growth began appearing, probably due to the thin nature of it.

Hopefully your dd's nail will work itself out just fine. I hope this makes sense and that it helps.
#3 of 12 Old 08-02-2006, 12:11 AM

You're killing me. Seriously.

Okay, I hate to be a complete anal retentive meanie, but it's the English major in me - and knowing that you home-school your child is making me grind my teeth even more with these misused words and I cannot fathom people passing bad habits to their own children, especially if there is no other person around to correct it. It's a visual version of nails going down a chalkboard.

They're: contraction for "They are"
Their: a possessive term, used as in "these are their children"
There: a place. "Please place those books over there."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/their

I apologize, but please realize the difference and practice the same standards, especially if you have dedicated your life to home-schooling your child.

I understand there is little formality on these forums, but it's much easier when a posting is legible and you can take somebody seriously for what they are saying.
#4 of 12 Old 08-02-2006, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Where you talking to me. I don't always care to use proper grammer on message boards. Why would that bother you if I homeschool my child do you think I would be so stupid to educate her by my standards. I don't always mean to but there is no grammer check on this thing. I appologize for getting on your nerves. I was serious and had my child on my lap at the same time I was typing so it was a fast post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica
You're killing me. Seriously.

Okay, I hate to be a complete anal retentive meanie, but it's the English major in me - and knowing that you home-school your child is making me grind my teeth even more with these misused words and I cannot fathom people passing bad habits to their own children, especially if there is no other person around to correct it. It's a visual version of nails going down a chalkboard.

They're: contraction for "They are"
Their: a possessive term, used as in "these are their children"
There: a place. "Please place those books over there."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/their

I apologize, but please realize the difference and practice the same standards, especially if you have dedicated your life to home-schooling your child.

I understand there is little formality on these forums, but it's much easier when a posting is legible and you can take somebody seriously for what they are saying.
#5 of 12 Old 08-02-2006, 06:59 AM

I had no intention of reading this thread, but since I was somewhat unexpectedly drawn into it, I'll be the first to state what should be the obvious. Spastica, I say this with the utmost concern for your conduct: you need to chill! You are completely, and I do mean completely, out of line on this one.

And, no, I don't hate you, nor am I the one you need to ask forgiveness from. While I could have replied by pm, I don't make time for petty, behind the scenes back and forth and I prefer to deal with certain situations up front and in the open.

Joy, I don't recall ever reading a post from you before (I probably have, but nothing about your posts stand out in my mind at the moment). I'm sorry about your daughter's finger and I hope that the mommies here offer you more of their best advice for your situation.

Spastica, I truly hope you feel better soon too.
#6 of 12 Old 08-02-2006, 08:38 AM

JoyJoy, yes that response was to you, but Jael is right that I should not be so freakish about what I read. I do need to chill out over what is posted, so I'll do better at keeping myself in check when I do.

I have the best intentions for the health and education for your child and have took care of many children, so I completely freak out when I think something is amiss and children can't reach their full potential, healthwise or educationwise.

But as Jael mentioned, this should not be my concern and not to this degree. As I said - I'll work on it.

As for your child, you mentioned in a previous post she had parasites. It could be that she is trying to overcome any infection from the parasites. A lot of diseases, mineral or nutritional deficiencies show up in nail or hair protein. Since parasites take away nutrients from what your child ingests, it's possible that her nails may be falling off due to her previously weak system. As her body expels the parasites and she gains more nutrition without a parasite taking the nutrients for itself, she ought to feel better and have no problem with her nails.

This is just a possibility - she could have injured herself, but as somebody else previously posted, wait a while and if the nail does not grow back on the nail bed, see a primary care physician, pediatrician/doctor or dermatologist. Dermatologists also deal with nails, hair, and skin.
#7 of 12 Old 08-02-2006, 05:04 PM

Spastica, when it comes to health, you regularly give very helpful advice. I would never have thought about parasites, but your theory makes complete sense.
#8 of 12 Old 08-02-2006, 05:13 PM

I would not usually bring up parasites either - JoyJoy mentioned in some previous posts that her daughter had contracted Giardia, a form of parasites.

Just putting the noodle to work and putting 2 and 2 together. Not sure if that 2 and 2 SHOULD go together, because her fingernail falling off may not have anything to do with nutrition, but instead, an injury, but it's a possibility.
#9 of 12 Old 08-03-2006, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Actually this DD is not the one who has the parasite that was my oldest. Anyway I took her to the doctor and she probably had her finger smashed even a small amount and the nail died. So then it fell off. Thier is a new nail underneath nothing to worry about. I really love my children a lot and I try to give them the best possible care I can. I know it sounds odd for a child to get a parasite but Giardia is very common thing for kids to get. She probably got it from swimming in a creek while we were in the mountains a few weeks ago. Trust me I will see to it that my kids reach all there potential health and education wise. I may not be perfect but I do try my best. I did not receive a lot of education myself but for what I went through people are amazed how sane I am. I also have speech therapists and therapy technician come to my house weekly as well as I am a licenced foster mother. They think my intellect is above average and I do test out at a genious level but however I do have a few weaknesses. One of those is grammer and spelling when I am in a hurry. Otherwise I have wrote things that people say should be published. You know every gifted person has a weakness and not all gifted people are gifted in every way. I may not be the perfect mom but I give it all I have with my kids and as far as nutrition for my five year old that just smashed her finger. She was Breastfed tell Five and recently weaned on her own account. Rest assure you she is well cared for. When you become a mother you will understand how harsh it is to assume ones child is not cared for. It is a very sensative thing for any mother.
#10 of 12 Old 08-03-2006, 02:42 AM

I'm pleased to hear that you've solved the fingernail mystery. That must be a great relief to finally know what happened (sorta...lol).

I just wanted to add that having parasites is not abnormal, for adults or children. Most people reading this probably have a few parasites living in their bodies right now. This is one of the reasons why you hear about so many of us doing herbal cleanses. Included in all of the other health benefits, we're desperately trying to rid ourselves of different parasites that we pick up in a variety of different ways including, but not limited to, our diets, our pets, swimming, etc. I would imagine that young children are even more prone to have them as they touch whatever interests them without regard to how sanitary it is and, unless we catch them, they rarely wash their hands before putting them in their mouths or eating. I'm not familiar with the particular parasite that you speak of, but I do know that parasites, in general, are common.

Also, I 100% know what you mean on the relationship between spelling/grammar and intelligence. My husband is an extremely gifted (and I do mean extreeeeeemely) business man who can't spell to save his life. He speaks well, but when it comes to writing with any sort of grammatical accuracy, well...let's just say that he's thankful he has me to clean it all up for him. Rarely a day goes by that he doesn't ask me to draft a letter/email for him or to edit something he's written. He makes an excellent living, has travelled the world, receives lots of press for his accomplishments, is in the process of publishing a book, is often invited to speak to groups and regularly instruct others on business strategies. I, on the other hand, can write my butt off, yet I can't even understand half of what does on a daily basis. lol

His personal assistant is almost as business savvy as he is and has long term goals of running for the U.S. Senate. There have been plenty of instances, however, where I've had to make serious edits to drafts he prepares.

Both of these guys are intelligent, super productive high achievers, but lack much when it comes to spelling and grammar. So, please know that there are those of us on these boards who understand the difference between intelligence and spelling.

Besides, at the end of the day...it's just a message board! lol
#11 of 12 Old 08-03-2006, 08:37 AM

True, true.

I'm glad you found the root of your daughter's fingernail issue. Good to know it'll come back.

How can you get parasites from regular grocery store food and filtered water though? Or would you have to grow your own produce and drink well water or something. Haven't heard of parasites as being common in developed cities, especially in the US. It's easy to get illnesses from water or food in other countries, like India, and get parasites (oooh that's no fun to get sick) but here?

I would think that if perhaps you did everything yourself (grow your own stuff, live away from cities, had own water supply) perhaps that would be a higher risk?

Anyway, wondering what parasites would feast off you if you lived in a city.

Gross.
#12 of 12 Old 08-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Spastica, parasites come from a variety of sources within the U.S. Aside from ones coming into the country through foreign tavel every single day, they are also transmitted through improperly washed veggies and fruits, contact with our pets, undercooked meats, seafood, contaminated water used to drink/cook and bathe with (and, no, normal filtering doesn't remove them), contact with feces (esp. animal feces or areas where it's recently been removed i.e. walking on sand or grass where Rover just pooped or where rodents and other wild animals leave droppings. Parasites can live on loooong after the waste has been removed), our soil, fertilizers, etc. They are common in store bought foods and especially common in restaurant and in fast food!

In fact, the exact parasite that Joy's daughter had is common worldwide and very common in children. You can read more on this particular parasite from the Center for Disease Control: http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/HTML/Giardiasis.htm

A full listing of different parasites (blood, intestinal and other) can be accessed here: http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/HTML/Para_Health.htm

To further educate yourself, try these sites:

http://www.curezone.com/diseases/parasites/ (make special note of the parasites common worldwide...that includes us!)

http://www.appliedozone.com/parasites.html

http://www.gcnm.com/colon_cleansing_...ites&ovtac=PPC

Hope this helps to clear things up for you.

ETA: It may interest you to search the word "parasites" right her on MDC, too. Turns out that lots of mommies here, and their children, have or have had parasites. Again, they are VERY common.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page