"No-tears" shampoo/soap for baby and kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was about to buy some Aubrey organics shampoo and wash for my kiddos, but then saw that it's not tear free. I guess because it's not full of those chemicals that make it tear free. So, what on earth can I use that is not going to burn their eyes? My 4 year old is always rubbing his eyes when I pour water over his head to wash the shampoo out. And I try to be careful with the 4 month old baby, but sometimes the wash water does get in her face. I have been using Johnson and Johnsons : but want to make the natural switch.

On a side note--what about the mistletoe extract in it? Isn't that dangerous?

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#2 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to wash my dd's hair with Burt's Bees baby bar soap. She never seemed to mind it. She is 3.5 now and I use Aubrey's chamomile shampoo on us both and dh taught her how to cover her eyes with a washcloth. We are working on her tipping her head back and we rinse her with the showerhead on a hose. No tears here!
#3 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 12:52 AM

I love the California Baby shampoo and body wash. It smells great and is really gentle on the skin and eyes.
#4 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Banned

We were using CB bubble bath but it gave dd bumps. Irritation. I really liked the smell, though.
#5 of 26 Old 08-28-2006, 04:10 PM

We use the Burt's Bees shampoo bar on DS. A little bit sometimes gets in his eyes when I rinse it, but he's never complained so I think it's pretty mild.

Doesn't CB have parabens in their shampoo?

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#6 of 26 Old 08-28-2006, 04:34 PM

We use Jason Kids Only shampoo.
#7 of 26 Old 08-28-2006, 04:43 PM

burts bees really stung sophia's eyes. so I am using some natural soap a very nice friend made for me.
#8 of 26 Old 08-28-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishy
We use Jason Kids Only shampoo.
:

We love it.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#9 of 26 Old 08-28-2006, 05:59 PM

We use Dr Bronner's Baby-Mild (as bubble bath and soap for the washcloth) and it doesn't seem to bother Declan too much and he's at that "I'm gonna splash myself in the face for the entire duration of my bath" stage.
#10 of 26 Old 08-28-2006, 06:02 PM

I use the Aubreay's and it smells great. It is the only truely chemical free shampoo that I've found in the store. Most all natural stuff won't be tear-free because they don't use the numbing agents that other shampoos do.
#11 of 26 Old 08-28-2006, 06:17 PM

A lot of tear-free formulas rely on pH to avoid stinging. Adult shampoos are very basic to help clean oils off hair, so that stings eyes. Tear-free formulas are close to the pH of tears (neutral to slightly acidic - I believe).
#12 of 26 Old 08-28-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne
:

We love it.
I will second the Jason's Kids Only. It is great and it smells yummy!!! I have been known to use it myself on occasion.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#13 of 26 Old 08-28-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy
On a side note--what about the mistletoe extract in it? Isn't that dangerous?
Holy crap! : I saw someone on mistletoe once. It was pretty darn freaky. Hallucination, puking, etc.

We use Dr Bronners and just keep it from getting in her eyes. I don't wash her hair very much, usually just rinse it down with plain water. Soap only if she has something in it that won't come out otherwise. When she gets a bit older I'll probably start no-pooing it.
#14 of 26 Old 08-30-2006, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I just wish the Jason's shampoo didn't have parabens in it

Does anyone know if the Aubrey's formula causes eye irritation in their kids?

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#15 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 07:15 AM

I use Aubrey's baby shampoo for my son and it says it is NOT tear-free. I haven't gotten any in his eyes so I can't comment on if it stings or not.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#16 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 03:00 PM

Burts Bees just came out with a Tear Free Baby Shampoo/Wash liquid - I got mine at Whole Foods and it seems to not sting ds's eyes.

Christine, wife to my dh since 10/03, mama to my three monkeys ~:-) ds1/6/05, dd9/9/08 and ds 8/3/10

#17 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 07:37 PM

Another California Baby fan here. Their tea tree and lanvender shampoo was the only thing natural or not that would control dd's cradle cap.

Mom to (5) (9)
#18 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 07:41 PM

I use the Aubrey's on my 13 month old DD. We love it!! It's def the most natural thing out there and it smells great too! Doesn't suds up much so never been an issue getting it in the eyes.
#19 of 26 Old 09-01-2006, 01:07 AM

We use Weleda baby care products - don't know if it is tear free or not.
#20 of 26 Old 09-01-2006, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the reply's gals. I just bought the Burt's Bees no-tears shampoo/wash, because I LOVE the smell of their products.

On a side note, I was going to buy the Buttermilk Lotion to use with it, but saw that it contains Sodium Borate (borax). The CIR (Cosmetics Ingredient Review panel) has deemed this ingredient unsafe for use on babies or in baby products, as classifies it as "possibly toxic" when it is continually applied to the skin (as in lotion rubbed on your skin repeatedly?!?!).
I was aghast that they would put something so nasty into their so called "natural" products. I called the company and filed a complaint as well as wrote them a letter.

I was just glad that I noticed it online before buying the lotion. I bought the apricot oil instead, which still smells super-yummy

#21 of 26 Old 09-02-2006, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well, here is the reply letter I received back concerning the borax in the lotion:

We use borax in combination with beeswax to form emulsions in our lotions and creams. Borax is the gentlest ingredient compared to its synthetic chemical counterparts that are used in other products on the market. Borax has also been used for generations in home-made skin mixtures.

The percentage of borax used in our products is very small, less than 1%. We test all our products for skin safety and irritation. We will be sure to log your comments and concerns. Thank you for taking the time to email us and have a great day!

While I am glad that it is less than 1%, just because it's safer than other synthetic chemical ingredients doesn't make it "safe" IMO. Not sure what to really think though. I really love the smell of that lotion But I won't sacrifice safety for smell if it's truely toxic.

#22 of 26 Old 09-02-2006, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

One more update!

I just bought some Baby-oh-Baby Organic shampoo, and body wash by "Rainbow" at Whole Foods. It smells clean and fresh, is no-tears, and it's cheap! Only $5.95 for an 8oz. bottle. I checked the list of ingredients on everything, and it's definetly safe, all natural ingredients, much like on the Aubrey's list--only this is tear-free.

I tried it out on my 4 year old son, who cannot seem to remember to keep his eyes shut when I rinse the shampoo out of his hair. He didn't complain at all about his eyes hurting, so it really is tear free. Also, even my hubby commented on how wonderfully soft, shiny, and how great his hair smelled when he got home. It hasn't looked that healthy since he was a newborn (before I began using Johnson & Johnsons ).

The lotion is unscented, which is nice, but it is a bit "tacky" feeling to the touch. Doesn't quite absorb completely into the skin. I'd personally skip it.

#23 of 26 Old 09-07-2006, 05:32 PM

About the borax,

Without some sort of emulsifier the lotion will seperate into oil and water.

The only way to not use emulsfiers is if you mix up the lotion every other day or so it. Since lotion entails heavy whipping it would get rather convuluted just to use lotion.

Most lotions contain borax, beezwax or e-wax. They could use beezwax, so maybe you could point that out.

Here are some recipes.

http://www.soapnaturally.org/miriamr.html

Not all those who wander are lost 
#24 of 26 Old 09-08-2006, 07:44 PM

It is *really hard* to find a baby shampoo that is natural *and* paraben-free. Most places seem to feel that it is OK to use, but personally I see no point in buying "natural" (and paying through the nose for it!) when they include such a dangerous chemical. Yes, water-based products need a preservative but there are other, much safer alternatives to parabens. Sorry for the soapbox - I just get annoyed when I see yet another product advertised as "all natural" in soite of using parabens
We've been using Jason's Naturals/Earths Best Organics baby wash
http://www.jason-natural.com/products/earths_best.php
it is tear free AND paraben free Has a few chemicals in it, but it is safe. Better than parabens, IMO. However, now that CA baby has stopped using parabens in their products (WOO-HOO!!!) we're going to switch back to the unscented CA Baby one.

If you're looking for nice lotions w/o parabens, I really like the Zum Potion by Indigo WIld. They absorb well, smell great and no chemical-y ick in them! I can't stand the smell of Burt's Bees :
#25 of 26 Old 09-09-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabella
Burts Bees just came out with a Tear Free Baby Shampoo/Wash liquid - I got mine at Whole Foods and it seems to not sting ds's eyes.

:
Awesome. I have always used baby bee soap bar and shampoo bar on a newborn, but as my dds got older the shampoo would always end up in the eyes. I can't wait to try this liquid. What does it smell like? I love the buttermilk smell. The lotion is in my burts tinted moisturizer and its awesome.

ITA on the california baby tea tree shampoo working on cradle cap. It was the only thing that worked for us. I think if we have the CC with this baby i will just put a few drops of TTO in the burts shampoo.
#26 of 26 Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Abimommy--Thanks for the info. I guess I don't feel so bad about it then.

I tried out the Burts Bees Tear Free Shampoo/Bodywash, and it's great! I accidentally got some on her face when I was rinsing off her hair, and she didn't seem bothered by it at all. It smells just like their other apricot baby products--yummy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page