What should I do about the lice problem? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What should I do about the lice on DD and DS' heads?
Adopt the lice 0 0%
keep the lice as pets 2 15.38%
shave DS and comb out DD 15 100.00%
shave both their heads 10 76.92%
continue to do what I've been doing- non toxic treatments, lots of linen washing, lots of combing 15 100.00%
use prescription poison to kill the lice and nits 24 100.00%
uses prescription poison to kill the kids so I don't have to worry about combing them out 2 15.38%
treat their heads with nair 3 23.08%
move myself into a padded room at the local hospital and let my mother deal with their hair 8 61.54%
move with the kids to the moon and hope the move kills all the lice 4 30.77%
move to the moon by myself 6 46.15%
bribe the lice to move away 6 46.15%
other- every poll needs an "other" right? 7 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

#31 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Make sure you are using a nit comb (2 come with the bottle of permethrin or other insect-killing chemical). A nit comb is finer than a regular fine comb. And have some tape on hand to collect and secure whatever you comb out.

But if the hair is very curly, you might be stuck with a chemical shampoo. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy
But if the hair is very curly, you might be stuck with a chemical shampoo. Good luck!
You're never stuck with chemical anything.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#33 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114
Vaccum vaccum vaccum.

First take a stiff broom around the area he sleeps to loosen up the bugs, then vacum right after. Keep at it..Invest in LOTS of vacuum bags because a vacuum's suction is dependant on how full the bag is, and you want a lot of suction
I have a bagless vaccuum.

Maybe I'll lay a large sheet on the floor under his mattress and change that daily.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#34 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
I have a bagless vaccuum.

Maybe I'll lay a large sheet on the floor under his mattress and change that daily.
Bagless vacuum even better.

Just dump it every time you vacuum around your DS's bed.

Do that before you put the sheet under his mattress....Stiff broom then vacuum asap...get your DD to take the broom away as soon as you're done using it because it only takes a minute for them to reorient and hold on for dear life again
#35 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 09:33 PM

Buhzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, wash, repeat. repeat repeat. daily. several times daily, the wash, repeat. daily
#36 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Red

Location: in a library, playing games and doing crafts with kids!
I voted other. THough I was teampted to vote for a more humerous choice.

I think you should try one of the recommended natural treatments and to do it the prescribed # of times, even though it's hard to manage.

If that doesn't work, go for the chemicals.
#37 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 10:29 PM

I have chosen to move this rather than close it as it is long already. However, don't take this as a sign of weakness on my part.

Ruthla, did you get the comb I suggested?
#38 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy
Make sure you are using a nit comb (2 come with the bottle of permethrin or other insect-killing chemical). A nit comb is finer than a regular fine comb. And have some tape on hand to collect and secure whatever you comb out.

You can also buy two combs in a set without chemicals.
#39 of 58 Old 08-28-2006, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
I have chosen to move this rather than close it as it is long already. However, don't take this as a sign of weakness on my part.

Ruthla, did you get the comb I suggested?
Aww, gee thanks- I'm honored! Really, this did belong in TAO when I first created the poll. :

I have one metal nit comb I bought last time. I may need to buy a new one tomorrow since DDs have managed to misplace it.

OK, DD is "clean" and I'm not so sure about DS. I know I'm going to comb him out again tomorrow and rewash everything his head may have touched tonight (his bed and pillow, my bed and pillow, the sheet under his bed, and vaccuum under his bed before placing a fresh sheet down.

Do I need to comb DD out again tomorrow or should I wait a couple of days before combing her out again?

Do I need to retreat either of them tomorrow or later in the week?

How often do I need to wash the sheets and vaccuum under DS' bed once he's "clean"?

In the past, I've gotten burnt out with the daily washing and by the time any forgotten nits hatched, I'd given up on everything. I don't want to make the same mistake this time.

#40 of 58 Old 08-28-2006, 12:37 AM

If you did dd today, leave her until Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Do ds tomorrow, Wednesday, Friday. You need both of them fully clean for two comb throughs before you can stop. Do you have enough sheets to not wash every day - bag them and freeze for 48 hours? Or just put them in the dryer for half an hour.

Get a waterproof pad for the mattresses (dollar store shower curtains will do) so that you don't have anything going into the matress itself.
#41 of 58 Old 08-28-2006, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would get the OTC stuff and kill the lice. I would consider shaving the boys head but only as a last resort. No way I would ever shave the girls tho or even cut it but that is just me.

SAHM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lovin'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to
DD 10/00 &

DS 10/04
If your son is intact, keep him safe, visit the Intact Care forum
Circ, a personal choice, Your SONS

11/98
6/99
Thyroid cancer survivor. With 5
& 2 Boxers
wishing for

#42 of 58 Old 08-28-2006, 01:00 AM

Bbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#43 of 58 Old 08-28-2006, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
If you did dd today, leave her until Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Do ds tomorrow, Wednesday, Friday. You need both of them fully clean for two comb throughs before you can stop. Do you have enough sheets to not wash every day - bag them and freeze for 48 hours? Or just put them in the dryer for half an hour.

Get a waterproof pad for the mattresses (dollar store shower curtains will do) so that you don't have anything going into the matress itself.
Yes, I have enough extra sheets, but I have a tiny washing machine and limited storage space- if I'm going to change the sheets daily, It's actually easier to throw it all in the washing machine and pull it out clean than it is to trip over a plastic bag full of sheets for a few days. Putting things in the dryer without washing them first isn't much easier either.

I can't handle the smell of brand new vinyl, so dollar-store shower curtains are out. My Mom bought DS a vinyl "town" for his last birthday and it needed to air out for a few months before I could have it in the house without giving me a headache.

#44 of 58 Old 08-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Red

Location: in a library, playing games and doing crafts with kids!
Use that vinyl 'town' under ds's pillow! Trash bags will work too.

I'd do as Irish suggested, except, I'd do another comb-through after a week.
#45 of 58 Old 08-28-2006, 01:30 PM

I spray my DD hair everyday before school with "LICE GUARD" "head lice repellent spray". I found this when she was in 1st grade and lice was making it's way through the school. It smells good (like wild flowers). Of all the children that used it in her class, not one of them got infested. Plus, it kept 3others who had it before from getting reinfested.
It is safe and non-toxic! The bottle is a 1.01 oz/2 month supply (for one person) and is about $13.00 per bottle. You can get it at Rite Aid. I have not found it at any other store. There is a phone number on the bottle 1-888-994-8213, if you have a hard time finding it or have questions. I also have her take it to camp. We have had 3 years with no, "camp" lice.
You can also apply TTO to the scalp, behind the ears, and back of neck (at hair line). Lice don't like it. Also WASH hair with a TTO infused shampoo, always.
Good Luck
#46 of 58 Old 08-28-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy
I got head lice from my neighbors child when I lived in England. I had them BAD.
I tried the chemical crap and almost ended up in the hospital because of it. I had a severe reaction to it (my then MIL was a nurse so I didn't end up in hospital).
The chemical crap didn't even work.

So, this is what I did: (in this order)

*Cut my hair short

*Mixed tea tree oil and olive oil together. Applied to my hair. Drenched my hair with it.

*Scooped out mayonaise and applied that on top of the olive oil.

*Wrapped my head in a bag (no, not my face. lol)

*Kept it on for 3 hours.

*Added tea tree oil to shampoo and shampood all that stuff out of my hair.

*Sprayed carpets, rugs, upholstered furniture, bed, cusions with tea tree oil/water mix.

*Put pillows in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer overnight.

*Washed sheets, clothing in hot water...with tea tree oil added.

Used a nit comb (got one at the chemist/pharmacy) and thoroughly combed my hair. Every stroke I did, I carefully wiped the comb off with tissue (which i flushed).

It took all afternoon but it WORKED completely.
Yikes, I didn't know that... erm, did we ever cuddle during that time? (just teasing)
#47 of 58 Old 08-31-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen
Yikes, I didn't know that... erm, did we ever cuddle during that time? (just teasing)
My dear, we never cuddled. LOL.
Oh, I got it from Lisa's son. She refused to treat his hair until I told her that I ended up getting it from him (I used to babysit for her quite often). I told her how to use the natural stuff and the next day she said "Wow, it worked".
Yeah, duh. She let that poor boy suffer with a massively itchy head for 2 months!!!!!
#48 of 58 Old 08-31-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy
My dear, we never cuddled. LOL.
Oh, I got it from Lisa's son. She refused to treat his hair until I told her that I ended up getting it from him (I used to babysit for her quite often). I told her how to use the natural stuff and the next day she said "Wow, it worked".
Yeah, duh. She let that poor boy suffer with a massively itchy head for 2 months!!!!!
Sure we cuddled.. you cuddled me when Bradleeeeey broke my tender heart and reduced me to a slobbering, tearful wreck Bless ya !!!
#49 of 58 Old 08-31-2006, 05:08 PM

Aww....I did? How sweet of me!
#50 of 58 Old 09-01-2006, 11:47 PM

I broke down and bought a RobiComb 8 years ago, and still have it for safekeeping. My kids were coming back from visiting their father EVERY week w/ it, then daycare was not dealing w/ theirs. So, the comb cost about $30 back then, takes ONE double or triple A battery, and puts out a high frequency sound that stops when you get a critter and it electricutes it or something like that. No chemicals, but lots of combing through. I combed every day for a half hour for 2 weeks, and NEVER had another problem since. It got the adults first, then every hatch after. If you bag up all the stuffies into a black garbage bag and put it in the shed for a month, it's supposed to kill them off. Wash all bedding and carseat covers, and whatever else you can. The heat from the dryer will kill whatever may have lived through the wash. Lice HATE lavender oil and rosemary oil. Hope you can find a comb, as I got mine from the local smalltown pharmacy!
#51 of 58 Old 09-01-2006, 11:57 PM

my neighbors did foster care
they had some kids come in with lice

they were told to throw away pillows
wash EVERYTHING in hot water and IRON everything

good luck.
#52 of 58 Old 09-03-2006, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have lice now. The renter and her kids brought them home from their friends' house. I shaved ds1 and had her shave her boys, but I won't shave dd or myself and we both have them.

I used the nasty chemical stuff the first day we found them and it didn't work. Dd still had live lice the next day. Then Thursday I used the oil and comb from the Nit Kit at the health food store and we were ok Friday and Saturday. Now it's Sunday and dd and I both have them again. I've been washing the sheets and vacuuming the mattresses every day. I'm going to vacuum the couches and chairs when I get off the computer.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
  11yo dd
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#53 of 58 Old 09-03-2006, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dd and I are hanging out with our hair up in ponytails coated in olive oil right now. It was so gross, I had one bug drip down my neck covered in olive oil. But it got it out. In about 15 more minutes, I am going to have dh comb out my hair and rinse it with vinegar, then wash it with Jason Tea Tree oil shampoo, then comb again. Then I'm going to do that to dd.

Edit: All right, I just had dh do the vinegar rinse to me and now he's combing out dd's hair and doing the vinegar for her. I'm going to let the vinegar sit 5-10 minutes and then get combed again.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
  11yo dd
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#54 of 58 Old 09-04-2006, 01:57 PM

I'm in the same boat mama!

We had lice this winter and it was literally 2 months of hell. We tried everything (including chemicals) and nothing seemed to work. We finally resorted to leaving the house for a long weekend (I was so tired of laundry & vacuuming!) and serious, devoted nitpicking with lots of hotel tv watching.

I was so happy when they were gone and thought I would never have to deal with them again.

HA!

They came back about a month ago. I think the problem for us is that there is a neighbor family that we are also good friends with and we keep passing it back and forth. You know how it is, you go in spurts of getting on top of it & it seems to be getting better, but unfortunately we are not super coordinated with our friends. Ah well, at least we have people to comiserate with (and invite over!)

What really has been working for us this time has been mayo. DS did get a buzz-cut at his request, so it is just dd (and myself that get the treatment. The mayo is a miracle, but it has been more difficult to nit-pick because it has been summer and we are usually out and about.

I did get the Robi comb and it seemed to work for my hair, but not dd's (super curly).

Lice are so stressful and I really feel for you! Not only that, but it is so shaming. I always disclose we have lice to people if we are invited into their house, but not so much when we are just at the park or something. I mean, can there really be lice-etiquitte???

Also, what is your school's lice policy? We had such a hard time last winter because dd's school had a no-nit policy. I honestly thought I would need to be commited-- it was so stressful! This year it is a little better in that there can be no live lice () but they are a lot less draconian on the nit policies.

Good luck mama!

Oh, I will definitely be using TTO shampoo from now on!
#55 of 58 Old 09-04-2006, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

We've been using rosemary and lavendar oils in water in a spray bottle, and spraying everybody's heads at least twice a day. This is supposed to work by confusing the lice- they think your head is a flower garden, not a human head, so they don't try to feed on your scalp or lay any nits in your hair, and will starve to death if they can't find another host within the day.

I'm not sure about the school's nit policy, but I know that they have a no-lice policy. In fact, I volunteered to help check kids' heads on Wednesday (the day before school starts) since I've unfortunately become somewhat of a lice expert this summer!

#56 of 58 Old 09-04-2006, 05:00 PM

Okay this may sound more than a little bizzare but this is what I did with dd and myself. I got the Jason's Natural Tea Tree Oil Therapeutic Mineral Gel (like natural Icy/Hot) and we combed it into our hair, left it in for 24 hours (its really kind of yucky) then used a good nit comb while it was still in. At night, we slept on clean sheets even with the stuff is on. Now it isn't the most comfortable thing to do but it worked great!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#57 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 PM

Youve got so much advice here. We used to get them ALLLLL the time when my kids were in school. I used the chemicals once but it didnt work and I wouldnt use it again. I just used conditioner, loads of it on wet hair, and combed for hours. We also do vinegar rinses and that helps. I comb regularly with a nit comb. I would not use the poison tho. I have read some horrible stuff about them.
#58 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 05:57 PM

Can I mix tea tree oil into regular shampoo?

We used to visit DH's Aunt a lot, but she got some foster kids a few months ago and has been fighting lice ever since. My head itches just thinking about going over there...

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page