Computer giving off negative ions??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought that I'd throw this in here incase anyone can help. My sister recently graduated and has a desk job now. She told me that she seems to be soooo much more tired that she used to be. I have heard that computers can exhaust a person because of the negative ions that they give off. Does anyone know what can be used to combat this problem?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 PM

There are anti-glare screens that help, and getting up and walking around that fights off the fatigue. There's always good old 'desk yoga.'

All electronic materials give off radiation and ions, even toasters, ovens, radio/clocks, TV's, etc.

I work in the corporate world and getting up and walking around, hooking up to the furthest printer, getting water breaks, etc, helps me from getting all conked out. You need to look away sometimes too, staring at a screen all day makes you mentally fatigued. I try to pepper my day with phone conferences, meetings, chatting with coworkers, reading printed material. Sometimes a lot of info is easier to read printed out and you can take notes on them. Yeah, I'm for paperless environments, but sometimes you need to print things out for your sanity. Keeping organized also reduces work fatigue and anguish. I also try not to watch too much TV when I come home and definitely turn the TV off at least 30 mins to an hour before bedtime. I read a magazine or do something else to let my eyes and mind rest and focus on something else.

Of course, a good breakfast and lunch during work time with plenty of fruits and veggies, lots of water to drink, and taking multivitamins (and an extra pill of B-Complex for stress, fatigue, and hormonal fluxes) help a lot.
#3 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A salt lamp next to it will help.
Salt Crystal Lamps
And to add, you WANT negative ions, too many positive ions are damaging. HTH.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#4 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Banned

It could also be the lighting in her office. She should try a full spectrum light on her desk. Also, sitting all day is certainly going to make you lethargic. She should take a brisk, short walk before lunch.
#5 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 06:34 AM

Gonna add - I had the same issues with starting out with the new corporate life.

Unfortunately, the hustle and bustle of college life, where each hour and half is planned out and then you make time to study, party, hang out with friends, visit family and whatever isn't scheduled so nicely in the corporate world.

They call it 'the grind' for a reason - it's just part of the whole going to work thing. It's exhausting in itself to be somewhere for 8 hours or more, let alone be in one place and doing the same thing all day. I'm totally cynical, but college really teaches you how to think for yourself and challenges you and work really does anything but do those those things - all of the sudden, you work for other people and you can't manage your own schedule, nobody cares what you think, and you don't use a single shred of all the smart things you learned in college! Another downer is that you're used to 3 months of break in the middle of the summer and an entire month off for the winter, and lots of holidays peppered in between. Work world? You're scrambling to try to get a few days off the entire year and if you even try to take a week off, never mind two, your boss and coworkers give you this look of "Who do you think you are?? You can't leave your work behind and take a vacation."

That's disheartening and draining in itself

My inspirational movies?

She should rent "OfficeSpace" and "Fight Club" sometime. Those have become the war cry of our new working generation.

It does help to be in a type of work environment and doing work that you enjoy and fits your personality. That doesn't come until she's worked 5-6 years and found out more about herself and how she'd like to contribute to society. She'll soon realize that a lot of the fulfillment needs to come outside of work though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page