Safety of Hylands Teething Tablets? (Belladonna) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2006, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have heard great things about Hylands Teething tablets and since my little one is having a rough time at night with teething, I am wondering about there safety and trying them.

They contain Belladonna 6X HPUS (0.0000003% Alkaloids) - for redness and inflammation.

This is what I read about it:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...na.html#Safety

"At a dose of up to 1.5 milligrams in a day, belladonna is traditionally thought to be safe, but may cause frequent side effects such as dilated pupils, blushing of the skin, dry mouth, rapid heartbeat, confusion, nervousness, and hallucinations. Based on animal study, belladonna alkaloids may inhibit cognitive function and gastrointestinal motility. High doses can cause death.

In children, death can be caused by a small amount of belladonna, as low as 0.2 milligrams of one of the active ingredients, atropine, per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of the child's weight. Therefore, 2 berries of the belladonna plant can be deadly for a small child."

Hylands says that even if a child swallowed the entire bottle they should be fine, though you should probably call poison control etc.

Obviously the dose is so small that it is considered safe but I guess it seems risky to give a child an ingredient that has such dangerous possible side effects. I am sure it is much safer than tylenol though.

Any thoughts?? I am new to the use of homeopathic remedies and think that maybe big pharma is just getting the better of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 11:22 AM

My 3 yo once got a hold of a nearly full bottle of Hyland's teething tablets and ate them all. : We called the poison control, and they said no worries. She could eat 3 whole bottles and not have any adverse affect from it. Indeed, she was fine; no effects whatsoever.

HTH.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:35 AM

We've used them with success ever since DS got his first tooth. He's allergic to the dye in Tylenol, as we recently discovered So I'm glad there is an alternative. My MIL was taking belladonna for pain relief after surgery, and she reported that the high dose she was taking made her constipated, so if you have a child who is prone to that the small amount in Hyland's might cause it. Just something I'd be on the lookout for
Old 08-30-2006, 11:50 AM

My DD also got a hold of a full 250 tablet bottle and eat the whole thing. I called poison control and was told not to worry. I didn't and she was fine. No big deal! I have used this on my last two and have had great results. I recommend them to EVERYONE I know that has little ones. Just remember this (not the brand, but kind of treatment) was around long before Tylenol was ever thought of.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:02 PM

My DD was 6 months old and had 2 tablets - we ended up in the hospital. About a 1/2 hour after taking them she became lethargic and was having difficulty breathing. The doctor said it wasn't the first case he has seen from a child taking them (although i don't have much faith in doctors).. I really have no idea what else it could have been caused by. (breastfed, no other meds).

That was the first and last time we used them.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 08-30-2006, 12:31 PM

Homeopathic medicine has very little, if any of the original substance in them. The molecular imprint is made on water molecules during the manufacturing process, and the diluted it is, the deeper it works. Ironically, the more diluted it is, the less of the original molecules of the substance there are. Homeopathy is based on vital force the premise of "like cures like".
When you use homeopathics, you are treating the state of a person (emotional, physical, mental, etc) and not usually just one symptom.

Anyway,your baby is getting very little to no belladonna in the remedies. (I think it is around 30c where there is nothing left, but I can't remember).

I recommend checking out the website www.homeopathic.org

HTH!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:35 PM

BTW-

I am sure big pharma would love to squish the alternative medicine market. I use homeopathics instead of "drugs" . Hey- they can try and get rid of everyone until the only option is drugs drugs drugs.

OK- off my soapbox now. Big pharma is a pet peeve of mine...:
Old 08-30-2006, 01:06 PM

I've always liked Anbesol or Orajel. I still use it these days if my wisdom teeth are cutting. I prefer Anbesol over Orajel.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd
My DD was 6 months old and had 2 tablets - we ended up in the hospital. About a 1/2 hour after taking them she became lethargic and was having difficulty breathing. The doctor said it wasn't the first case he has seen from a child taking them (although i don't have much faith in doctors).. I really have no idea what else it could have been caused by. (breastfed, no other meds).

That was the first and last time we used them.
You have to remember, you can have an allergic reaction to ANYTHING. For the most part Dr's., will always blame somthing they don't understand before looking deeper. :
Dr's., make money from "big pharm" drugs/drug companies and not off homeopathic treatments.They are also not taught about homeopathic remedies, herbs or EO's. It can become confussing to go to a mainstream Dr., while doing anything from the ordinary that they are taught.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica
I've always liked Anbesol or Orajel. I still use it these days if my wisdom teeth are cutting. I prefer Anbesol over Orajel.
The problem w/ using these on nursing children is that their mouths can become numb (tongue, cheeks, etc) and then have problems latching.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 AM

I've been doing some research of my own - and just wanted to note that there is a discrepancy with the amount of belladona alkaloids present in one tablet. On some websites, this is listed as 0.0000003%. But on the Hylands website, they list it as 0.0003%. A huge difference.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Okay kind of off topic....but have you tried Clove Oil? It is like Orajel....be very careful with the amount you put on...it numbs immediately...and tastes like heck! BUT works!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 PM

if you are worried about it, there are homeopathic teething remedies that do not include Belladonna. I buy this one: http://www.homeopathyworks.com/product.php?xProd=5550

it's manufactured locally, so i can buy it at the health food store, but you can also order online

Prior to knowing about this one, we did use the Hylands with no ill effects. But this one works just as well for us, and has no Belladonna.

oh, and ETA - the one time i tried orajel in desperation with DD it caused her mouth to get so numb that she screamed until it wore off, and she wasn't able to latch on to nurse. it was a nightmare.

User Tag List