Mothering Forum banner

Are Ziplock bags recycleable?

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  MaryClarens 
#1 ·
...they don't have a recycle number on them, but can they still be recycled?

#2 ·
Not in any recycling program I have ever heard of. Sorry.

They're good for reusing, though! If the bag is not torn and hasn't had anything really oily or staining in it, rinse it out and hang it over a spatula or something in your dish drainer. We have used some probably 20 times! Once a church friend gave me some food left over from an event in a bag he'd brought, which was the heavy duty kind with an actual sliding tab zipper, and I thanked him for the bag as well as the food. He looked at me funny.
We had that bag for YEARS.

#7 ·
You can recycle them in our city too. If you can recycle milk bags (the thick clear plastic kind) through your city's program, you can also recycle ziplocks. A quick call to your town hall or city recycling program should be able to answer your questions.
Katia

#8 ·
I've heard/read that some plastics intended for single use (ziplocs, takeout containers, drink bottles) can actually break down if used again, releasing chemicals into food. Any thoughts on that, as it pertains to baggies?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.